Anyone else running the new EB324 24 FET controllers?

zombiess

10 MW
I decided to punish myself and build another 20 IRFB4115 controllers but this time they EB324 which is an entirely new design using the GPM8F chip set just like the other EB3xx controllers do. Was wondering if anyone else has played around with these. I should have one finished up on Sunday night to play with and test. Heat sinking is much better improved on these because they mount to the side of the case vs just the top. I will report back performance of course, just curious if anyone else has played around with them. I prefer the EB3xx based controllers to the EB2xx which use the older XCKJ8B116A chip set because the GPM8F chips seem to do a better job at controlling phase current.

Here is a picture of one of the boards I've built up the traces on to show how different they are.

Really nice feature is larger phase wire holes so it's super easy to fit the 8 AWG wire I use. They split the bottom phase between sides which I'm not the most fond of design wise, but then again from a design stand point these controllers are kinda like a hammer. None the less they are proven and get the job done cheaply with a lot of features/power for a good price when modified.

Those blue things are 1uF pulse rated polypropylene snubber caps I am adding to the rails if you were wondering. Trace build up is done with solid 10 AWG copper wire.

View attachment 1

Did a test ride on the controller pictured tonight, works great! I measured the shunt at 0.83 mOhms (4 shunts). The EB3xx software only specifies up to a 18 FET controller and I have not found a newer version that has higher FET counts or figured out exactly how to hex edit it to add my own 24 FET parameters. This makes programming a little tricky. Battery amps are easy to figure out because I can measure them easily using the CA.

When I programmed it for 85A batt / 130A phase it pulled 136A battery (so I get 1.6x the programmed battery amperage). I am guessing that since it is programmed as an 18 FET controller the phase amps are 1.33x higher, but I have no exact way of knowing. Maybe programming it for 130A phase amps as an 18 FET controller sets it to 173A phase. Since I'm not sure I'm keeping the phase amps conservative. I managed to beat up on the controller for about 10 minutes making hard passes as usual on the high speed wind Cromotor watching it suck the life right out of my battery pack... so much fun especially with slip charge on and having to hardly ever use the brakes. It's a pseudo variable regen which works really nice and can give full regen by pressing the ebrake button.

I installed a 1200 ohm resistor across R12 so now all the LVC HVC voltages are 2x just like all my other controllers.

One nice improvement is the heat sinks mount to the side of the case on this design, this provides a contact area to the case that is probably 6-8x more than the older EB2xx controllers and therefore better cooling. I didn't bother to install a temp probe in this unit to compare it to the EB2xx version because it's been sold. Will do that on a future build.

I don't these versions will have any issues running 150A battery side / 200A phase based off of how tested tonight. I need to up my battery pack to 24S and run 150A or 200A battery side and really test one of these units out... only issue is that will put my top speed near or over 70mph which I'm not exactly comfortable with on this bike.

Now comes the fun part, I have 19 more to build :shock:

Sorry if the thread sounds a little spammy, that's not my intent, just wanted to share my findings as I believe I'm the first to run this board on here.

I'm putting together an EB324 fet controller as well and just pondering whether or not I should add some snubber caps as.

Degull said:
I'm putting together an EB324 fet controller as well and just pondering whether or not I should add some snubber caps as.

For the cost of four pulse rated Kemet F426DF105J250C caps which cost $0.50 each and super easy installation? Why not?

so much fun especially with slip charge on and having to hardly ever use the brakes. It's a pseudo variable regen which works really nice and can give full regen by pressing the ebrake button.

This sounds really interesting! never heard of this controller. Any idea if there are other controller that support this function? I'd like it on my Greentime :mrgreen: Sadly it uses a different chip. I see the XCKJ8B116A is also used in infineon controllers. So I could program any using "variable regen"?

Are these available as kits,or are the boards already populated with caps and fets?

johnjcbs said:
Are these available as kits,or are the boards already populated with caps and fets?

The boards are already populated with 470uF 200V electrolytic caps and small wires. I can sell you a kit with heat sink bars/case and no FETS if you wish to build your own. You will have to build up all of the traces on your own. I do not have any blank boards.

zombiess said:
johnjcbs said:

The boards are already populated with 470uF 200V electrolytic caps and small wires. I can sell you a kit with heat sink bars/case and no FETS if you wish to build your own. You will have to build up all of the traces on your own. I do not have any blank boards.
I'd probably be interested in that.What's the price?

Hi,
did you found an EB324 profile to program them properly? How many shunts does standard EB324 have?

I think the best way to squeeze out more power of such modded controller is to lower the shunt value to the same as the next better above model (mostly add one additioanl shunt). Than for example use EB324 software for modded EB318 controller.
I know we can turn up this controllers as high as we want with XPD Software, but besides beefed up power traces and cap tuning i think the shunt should also "beefed up" to prevent overheating and desoldered shunt measure cables.

is this a good idea to set up modded controllers? what you say?

Back