Anyone know about/tried TOSEVEN Mid Drive?

That is good... and bad. I have only 1 Windows laptop and the Windows 10 OS on it will expire next year. Maybe MS will ultimately see fit to release a Win 11 lite or some such that will work on non-qualifying devices. But I bet the bastards won't.
It's not like yoru computer will stop working. It just won't get any more downdates to break it in new ways. ;)

It's not like yoru computer will stop working. It just won't get any more downdates to break it in new ways. ;)
for a decade or so it didn't break ? yet i see that ppl have really annoying problems with win10 / win11 ...

There's always potential problems with any general-purpose system, since not everything is well-written and completely tested, or has all reported bugs fixed (OS, hardware drivers, applications, etc). Since not all things are perfectly written, then not all combinations of things will work the same as each other, and a bug in one commonly used thing can cause problems within any or all of the things that use it...but since not all things use all functions of a thing, it's not always apparent which common thing to them is actually causing the problem.

Additionally, updates of any kind to any part of the system can cause cascades of problems.

Once I have a system that works and is usable for my purposes, I don't allow anything on my systems to update itself, ever, because any update could change it's behavior, and it's interactions with everything else.

One update to an otherwise perfectly working system can cause a problem that requires something else to be updated to fix that, which then causes problems with any other thing that uses it, so those have to be updated, and then all things that interact with all those things have to be updated...many things never get updates written by their creators, so then those things are just broken, and may be completely unusable. If they are required for system usefulness, then the entire thing has to be scrapped and restored back to the pre-first-update point, assuming a backup was made of that before the update happened. Rollbacks using the OS functions don't always work because it doesn't always track everything that changed, and then it's in a worse state than before.

I've wasted probably literal man-years of time fixing (or trying to, since sometimes there is NO working solution possible with available stuff) these kinds of things over my life, for myself and others.

So...no updates for me, for any working system. ;)

So, for anyone that has a DM-01, how does the throttle work in stock setup? Does it provide full power or is it limited like on stock TSDZ2? Are there user settings that can adjust the behavior? I am following the High Voltage project to develop their hot rod package that uses an ASI controller and he commented in one of the videos about the stock throttle not being very good... but IDK.

Last edited:
Looks OK but not a lot of savings as compared to the US dealer where one could get support. And I still don't know enough about it to try one.

Just in case if you haven't noticed ToSeven sells DM01/DM02 via their aliexpress page

I still need to see some real-world tests and reviews. My current e-bikes are fine for pedalec which is my main use, but I am still wanting one that is the so-called "holy grail" in addition to torque sense allows continuous fast running on throttle for errands and other non-exercise uses. Not sure this one fits that bill in stock form.

I have heard the DM02 doesn't work with hydraulic brakes yet. I also heard it does come with self sick magnets for motor cutoff. I can't get a reply from ToSeven. Anyone know about this?

The cutoffs on all these motors work the same. Whether with specific levers that have a switch or the mag contact switches for discs, all these switches do is make and break continuity. So you should be able to use any that you have or can get. Now, the connectors may not match but you can splice on whatever you need.

I have heard the DM02 doesn't work with hydraulic brakes yet. I also heard it does come with self sick magnets for motor cutoff. I can't get a reply from ToSeven. Anyone know about this?

Hello, considering buying a DM02 for my first kit. It will go on my hardtail trail MTB. I am thinking that I will prefer torque sensing for my application...

Any reasons as to why I should buy something else?

Any reasons as to why I should buy something else?
I think the DM-02 will be a good choice, but there is a lot unknown about ToSeven.
Hardware looks an improvement above the choice for Tongsheng Tsdz2(B), but firmware is still under development.
There are just a few distributors, so for spareparts you are dependent of Toseven, which wouldn't be a problem for now, because of the excellent support, but a bit more choice should be welcome.
Riding experiences are also from a few sources and mostly compared with Bafang or Tongsheng experience before.

You could go for Tsdz2B or Tsdz2BTurbo ( cq Tsdz8). The last one is more robust than Tsdz2, and more comparable with DM-01
With Tsdz2B you can flash OSF, which is not possible with Tsdz8.
So a lot of pluses and minuses that you have to cross off, before you can choose.

tsdz8 no need to play with settings and cheaper
And zero customization. No debug menu in display. Due to offset one crank is straight while other is curved. The same oldfasion torque sensor design like in tsdz2 based on hall sensor. TSDZ8 is bigger and also heavier. You pay slightly less and you also get less.

The weight of the toseven drives make them a big no for me. They don't look like an improvement over other cheap chinese mid drives.

Dm02 weights around 4kg. Problem?

.5kg lighter but with 33% less power rating than a bbs02 would indicate it has a worse power to weight ratio and possibly lower efficiency.

Unless it's hot roddable, seems like a downgrade from bafang.

bafang could do something good with m635 but nothing is for sure now . they do chinese stuff in chinesium using chinese philosophy...bafang could dominate the market loong time ago but they choose to not so so

And zero customization. No debug menu in display. Due to offset one crank is straight while other is curved. The same oldfasion torque sensor design like in tsdz2 based on hall sensor. TSDZ8 is bigger and also heavier. You pay slightly less and you also get less.
if it works fine, no one needs customization and debug info. billions of ppl ride bosch brose yamaha etc with ZERO customization and they are perfectly happy with it

if it works fine, no one needs customization and debug info. billions of ppl ride bosch brose yamaha etc with ZERO customization and they are perfectly happy with it
Do not compare some cheap chinese DIY motor with german motor which costs 1000+ euro. TSDZ8 is not Perfect out of the box.

Last edited:
Back