Anyone know about/tried TOSEVEN Mid Drive?

You were saying something?

That's impressive!

So it's super underrated?
Do we know anything about mechanical reliability at such high power levels?

Sadly not interchangeable...
What about adding a throttle to the DM02? Would replacing the stock 1T3 cable with a standard 1T4 work? Would the standard Bafang/TongSheng throttles work or do they need proprietary ones?

Do not compare some cheap chinese DIY motor with german motor which costs 1000+ euro. TSDZ8 is not Perfect out of the box.
dude - in terms of customization of the motor software . this has nothing to do with robustness . helooooo

DIY is for people who are not clueless and have enough brain cells to tweak few basic parameters. For people like you there is ultra locked down OEM market. Oh no wait! Bosch and others also have mobile apps for tweaking their motors. Heresy!

DIY is for people who are not clueless and have enough brain cells to tweak few basic parameters. For people like you there is ultra locked down OEM market. Oh no wait! Bosch and others also have mobile apps for tweaking their motors. Heresy!
factory ebikes can be customized also . afaik specialized and shimano steps and definately bafang motors . bafang is a part of diy world but with go+ app ,user can customize it out of the box . and it's typical frame integrated factory motor . and of course they are people who want their diy motor work out of the box . an the other side you have cyc with cyc app where some things works and some sort-of-works ... I prefer that item is set up at factory and EVENTUALLY I might fiddle with some extra options. at least factory tsdz2 was okay for me for more than a year

.5kg lighter but with 33% less power rating than a bbs02 would indicate it has a worse power to weight ratio and possibly lower efficiency.

Unless it's hot roddable, seems like a downgrade from bafang.
it could also mean it is a better motor that takes more time or power to overheat.It has higher internal gear ratio.Dont know if thats true.Looking at the motor inside it does not look like it has twice the gear ratio.

Am I correct that distance between cranks and frame is not even on toseven dm02 motor. According to my pixel counting in photoshop crank on drive side is shifted by about extra 12mm.
sss.png

This is actually true, but not very different to all other motors like BBS01/2 or TSDZ2/8, the reason is the offset needed to accomodate the big gear under the chainring. You can make it even by assimetric crank set

Is there any reason why they do not even try to compensate that extra 12mm by simply extending spindle on other side? Looks like obvious solution to me. If i'm not mistaken cyc photon does not have this problem.

Am I correct that distance between cranks and frame is not even on toseven dm02 motor. According to my pixel counting in photoshop crank on drive side is shifted by about extra 12mm.
sss.png

Very typical for lower priced mid drives. My legs don't like these, so i won't touch a mid drive like this. Kind of a shame.

Very typical for lower priced mid drives. My legs don't like these, so i won't touch a mid drive like this. Kind of a shame.
I'm considering a Grin All Axle hub drive with integrated torque sensor instead of one of these mid drives partly due to all the chain line and "q factor" or crank width issues.

IIRC, the spindle length difference is similar in the Bafang BBS02 -> BBSHD motors - with BBS02 installs benefiting from (sometimes requiring) an offset left crank arm (such as the Lekkie set).

Is there any reason why they do not even try to compensate that extra 12mm by simply extending spindle on other side? Looks like obvious solution to me. If i'm not mistaken cyc photon does not have this problem.
Then it would give very wide Q factor that is BTW the issue of CYC motors, measuring around 190mm. As far as i remember Yamaha motors do have it around 170mm making more side clearance and more convinient biomechanical force transfer to the pedal.

I'm considering a Grin All Axle hub drive with integrated torque sensor instead of one of these mid drives partly due to all the chain line and "q factor" or crank width issues.
you can also use oval chainrings as well that are not possible on mid-drives BTW ;)

Then it would give very wide Q factor that is BTW the issue of CYC motors, measuring around 190mm. As far as i remember Yamaha motors do have it around 170mm making more side clearance and more convinient biomechanical force transfer to the pedal.
Between two evils I would nevetheless preffer symetry. I own cyc stealth and I do not have problem with q factor. 165mm + 12mm = 177mm. Still less than in cyc.

Last edited:
What about adding a throttle to the DM02? Would replacing the stock 1T3 cable with a standard 1T4 work? Would the standard Bafang/TongSheng throttles work or do they need proprietary ones?
Yes, throttle works well at DM02

Yes, throttle works well at DM02
But is that with a Toseven throttle or Bafang throttle? I have a Bafang-compatible horizontal thumb throttle that I like and I'm not a big fan of vertical thumb throttles like Toseven uses. I was concerned because their website says:
Compatibility: Due to different communication protocols, our motors can only be used with the accompanying accessories we provide and are not compatible with accessories from other brands.
Or is that referring to the display only?

Do not compare some cheap chinese DIY motor with german motor which costs 1000+ euro. TSDZ8 is not Perfect out of the box.
Gonna hard disagree with you on that. I've installed multiple and they've all worked fine out of the box. Wear and tear are usually the problem, like burning out the motor, torque sensor, blue gear etc. but the benefit of buying these is they are cheap and really you could just replace it every 1000 miles and still come out ahead of buying a brand name ebike lol

On the AliExpress store, they have a higher price for the "500w" motor compared to the "350w/250w" motors but I'm guessing this is all the same hardware. Is this a setting that can be changed easily through the menu or is a programming cable required?

.... "500w" motor compared to the "350w/250w" motors but I'm guessing this is all the same hardware. ....
imho @Olek.x has stated there is a difference with the motor inside. The 250W/350W is smaller with a smaller rotor.

This rated power is about the continues power, which is hardware related and determed by the manufacturer, so you can't change this by setting.
(Continues power is the power where, under specific conditions, the motor keeps the temperature within a range of 2 degrees Celcius for an hour)

What you can setup is the max. power. This can be twice as much or even more.
I think it will be at least 700W for 250/350W.
The power limitations are done by max. current what can be delivered by the batterie and what max. current the motor can have.
With the highest possible batterie Voltage you can reach the highest max. power.
All these values you can setup with the display.

Last edited:
I maybe in a minority but I have a Trek Rail with a Bosch motor and Trek Marlin with TSDZ2 & osf. Sure the Trek Rail motor is punchier but had to be replaced at 100miles. I cannot work on it myself or buy spares. On the othwr hand, my TSDZ2 has now done 3.5k miles with no issues. With osf in Hybride mode with a few tweaks, I find it's lower cadence assist superior to the Bosch and is my go to bike for most riding. The Rail only really comes into its own at Bike parks and single track, all of which easily could be done with the TSDZ2 at a fraction of the price.

Situation looks much better in Toseven DM01. offset is only 5mm. Weird!
aaa.png

The distance from the mid line to drive side looks unchanged comparing DM01 to DM02 but the distance from mid line to non drive side is increased on the DM01. This means for the same set of cranks Q factor would be increased by 16mm on DM01. (re: 181mm total distance on DM01 is 16mm more than the 165mm total distance found on DM02. NOTE: The measurements of 165mm and 181mm as found on the DM02 and DM01 diagrams are not the Q factor. Q factor will be larger than these measurements owing to the additional width added by whatever crank arms are used.)

Overall though I'll bet getting cranks that would give equal distance from frame center line to both pedal spindles would be easier on the DM01. Definitely something to consider.

P.S. The unequal distance from from crank centerline to each pedal spindle is a very annoying problem on these DIY mid drives. That and the increased Q factor. (mid drives like Bosch as found on pre-built ebikes does not have the problem of wide Q factor or unequal distance from frame midline to pedal line.)

Last edited:
Back