Anyone know about/tried TOSEVEN Mid Drive?

qlqlqlp

1 mW
Hi, I'm looking to get a tongsheng tsdz2 and I came across this alternative from "TOSEVEN" on psw power website

I asked them the difference/benefit/pros/cons and they replied that it has a different torque sensor and sent the attached pic. I have no idea what this means or if it is better or makes it worth the risk of trying the lesser known/supported motor.

Any thoughts appreciated from those who know about these things, thanks!83373311@16D3BB22_F2E01264_png.png

I have also seen those motors recently. Especially interesting is the higher power model that could beat Bafang stronger model with torque sensing capability. Looks like the torque sensor is kind od more advanced type than TSDZ hovewer we dont know how the software is tuned and if it offer any advanced setup capabilities...

This to me looks like a tsdz2 upgrade /rebrand following the court case that Bafang won against Tonsgsheng. Not many sites were selling the tSDZ2 by name or under the Tongsheng name. My one from RisunUK came with the tsdz2 manual in chinese but was named on the paper under another obscure brand name.
Could be the new model with the new controller that doesn't work with the OSF .

I am interested in learning more about these....

Could be the new model with the new controller that doesn't work with the OSF .
Hi, do you think that matters that much? I read on a thread discussing it that the original firmware is still decent and not much to be gained by fiddling with it?

Reply from To7 on the UK Pedelecs forum.

The new DM-01 and DM-02 are not a derivative of the tongsheng Motors. They are a new design
There is some influence as the lead engineer was the engineer responsible for producing the tongsheng motors who's came over to form the new company

the new design is focused on build quality and reliability. They can withstand a lot more power

we have transitioned to UART controller's we intend to keep because its open to community development

we intend to release the motor programming software to the community/ end users and activity engage with them on forums like this

being a step up there is an increase in price.
We don't intend to be dragged into competing on price. We will aim to deliver a quality product with warranty/ servicing and spares availability

if anymore questions please let me know

thanks
Alex

lg.php

lg.php

We know the internal gearing is higher then the tsdz2, something like 53:1 now.

Also the reason why outwardly the new To7 mid drive looks similar in design then.

Last edited:
Seems they use magnetic encoder instead od hall sensors which should be more precise. Great that they are looking for the community support in regards to software developement. I am curious if they already been looking into OSF for TSDZ2?

Last edited:
Third thread with the same topic...o_O

To avoid too much defragmentation on the same topic I moved my post to this ToSeven discussion thread.

On the Tsdz2 main topic there were some mentions too of this new midmotor which is almost the same as the Tongsheng Tsdz2b.
This because PSWPower sell this motor under the URL of Tongsheng and that was given some confusion.

It is about the ToSeven DM-01 and DM-02.

DM-01.jpgDM-02.jpg

On pedelecs.co.uk there is a confirmation of an employee of To7 that there is some relation with Tongsheng, but it is a new design

quote:
1 - Is the Toseven mid drive a derivative of the TSDZ2 and if so, what are the advantages of the Toseven over the TSDZ2
2 - if the Toseven is a new design, how do you view it in comparison to the TSDZ2, that is, how has it been improved?
3 - One of the great features of the TSDZ2 is to be able to fine tune it with the Open Source Firmware. Does the OSF work with the Toseven or are there similar software tools to alter the Toseven ride characteristics?

quote:
The new DM-01 and DM-02 are not a derivative of the tongsheng Motors. They are a new design
There is some influence as the lead engineer was the engineer responsible for producing the tongsheng motors who's came over to form the new company
the new design is focused on build quality and reliability. They can withstand a lot more power

we have transitioned to UART controller's we intend to keep because its open to community development
we intend to release the motor programming software to the community/ end users and activity engage with them on forums like this being a step up there is an increase in price.
We don't intend to be dragged into competing on price. We will aim to deliver a quality product with warranty/ servicing and spares availability

if anymore questions please let me know

thanks
Alex

Here you can find the websites of ToSeven:

So this looks a solid new design with torque sensor for a reasonable price.
Now it on the first users to share their experiences with this motor.
Because we all know: New design>>>New positives and New negatives

DM-01
DM-02

Installation video of the DM-01 on a bike

to7install.jpg

Some information from PSWpower I have attached.

Attachments

• ToSeven_DM01.pdf
    757.2 KB · Views: 74
  • ToSeven DM02.pdf
    781.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
One funny thing about the DM02 is that it looks very similar to the TSDZ2, but they have changed the position of the controller : it is now facing the front of the bike. This doesn't favor airflow on the motor area, but wouldn't be a problem if they suppressed the air gaps around the motor (like they seem to have done on the DM01).

Last edited:
Hi, do you think that matters that much? I read on a thread discussing it that the original firmware is still decent and not much to be gained by fiddling with it?
The original firmware is very good, but it has a cadence limit if around 80.
This makes it's pretty crap for mtb............ but still great for everything else.

The OSF ups the cadance and makes it a bit more efficient.

The original firmware is very good, but it has a cadence limit if around 80.
If we talking about the DM-02
It has a FOC vector controller, which should be more efficient.
The max. RPM is 5000 and imho the max cadence is 100.

Which thread on which forum?

You could be right, because they claim a FOC vector controller
Here but to clarify they're talking about tsdz2 and it's from Sept 2021:

"I've had mine now for over 2 years and have ridden over 1500miles with stock firmware on both. As an electronics engineer, I don't understand the need to change anything, it works just fine for me. When I first bought the kit I was all fired up to experiment and change the firmware up but the kit has been just brilliant and I now see no need to risk whatever untoward outcomes there inevitably will be when messing about with this stuff. I just can't see the point - it does everything and more I could ever wish for with stock firmware."

"I got forwarded your email! Will get back to you with responses shortly both here and in the email"

@Olek.x
Alex, Thanks for your response
I look forward to it.

Last edited:
"I got forwarded your email! Will get back to you with responses shortly both here and in the email"

@Olek.x
Alex, Thanks for your response
I look forward to it.

In regards to the questions on heat please see the attached image. This isn't from the DM-02 but its been done in a similar way. Just had no DM-02 cases to take a picture of but will get a picture and post a drawing

Attachments

• IMG_20230328_181710.jpg
    IMG_20230328_181710.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20230328_181425.jpg
    IMG_20230328_181425.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 97
This is another motor in development along the same lines to be fitted by manufacturers.

So yes its a different case but the motor itself is mounted in a similar way. It was late at night in the factory and its the best example i could find to hand.

In regards to the questions on heat please see the attached image. This isn't from the DM-02 but its been done in a similar way. Just had no DM-02 cases to take a picture of but will get a picture and post a drawing
This design will improve heat dissipation a lot compared to the TSDZ2, great !

... questions on heat .... This isn't from the DM-02 but its been done in a similar way. .... will get a picture and post a drawing
With such a construction the gap between stator and case is minimized and will benefit the heat dissipation. Imho with some heat conductive paste it will be optimal.

O
With such a construction the gap between stator and case is minimized and will benefit the heat dissipation. Imho with some heat conductive paste it will be optimal.

Do you have recommendations on the paste you would use and i will look into it
Thanks

Alex

Do you have recommendations on the paste...
Not really, it depends how big the gap is in reallity.
Thermal grease or paste works normally for a very small gap. (second picture left side)
If the gap is bigger, you can use thermal pads that exist in different thicknesses.
The best is to choose for as high as possible conductivity like 5 to 8 W/(m·K), to fill the airgaps between motor and housing.

On the picture the improvement above tsdz2 is already a lot more, but as you said it isn't the DM-02, only simular.
With Tsdz2 it is about 6mm around the stator, a bit more than 2 mm on the top and 1mm at the axle side of the bare motor.

Last edited:
Back