Anyone reverse engineered Harley's throttle-by-wire?

gwhy
Have you ever actually tried a palm/wrist lever? Sounds like you have not!
I don't expect it to solve 100% of throttle complaints,
But if you have not spent 20 minutes experimenting with one on your specific combo,
you are not qualified to comment. Post a pic of your failed palm/wrist lever.

Matt Gruber said:
gwhy
But if you have not spent 20 minutes experimenting with one on your specific combo,

I have tried everything over the last 3 years trying to get a good throttle setup for my trials bikes, so yes I have.. I dont have any pictures of the very early throttles I tried I had no reason to. Do you have a picture of a palm/wrist lever Just in case its not what I think I have played around with ?.

Matt Gruber said:
gwhy
This isn't about trying to work-around $1 china ebike throttles, it's about using the right parts for the job to begin with ;)

1389195340915.4.jpg
palm/wrist control, first prototype, not pretty but it works nice!
it sticks out, that doesn't bother me at all. But if it was bent in an L instead of a V, then it would not stick out, for you guys that crash often.
Anyway the twitchy erratic throttle developed good manners with the palm control, so i don't have to wait for engineers to develop a nice acting one.

Matt Gruber said:

it sticks out, that doesn't bother me at all. But if it was bent in an L instead of a V, then it would not stick out, for you guys that crash often.
Anyway the twitchy erratic throttle developed good manners with the palm control, so i don't have to wait for engineers to develop a nice acting one.

As regards me crashing its all part of the course with doing trials :D , That isnt how I imagined it and no I have not tried anything like that , I can see just by looking that it will not be any good for my needs, to big and bulky and to modulate the throttle would require to much movement. I understand that this is a proto but I cant see how this could be adapted to be smaller and more durable than the regular motorcycle throttle.

gwhy! said:
Matt Gruber said:

As regards me crashing its all part of the course with doing trials :D , That isnt how I imagined it and no I have not tried anything like that , I can see just by looking that it will not be any good for my needs, to big and bulky and to modulate the throttle would require to much movement. I understand that this is a proto but I cant see how this could be adapted to be smaller and more durable than the regular motorcycle throttle.
it cant be more durable, it is just an attached lever. if 3/8 tubing is too large, use 1/4 inch. and don't buy $1 throttles. razor cost $20, for example.
But i'm not selling anything; way more fun to watch you complain :roll: Take the bus!

I you are climbing a quarry face or a very narrow path between trees on a motorcycle you want something that will have no chance of catching or banging on something and breaking ( or change the throttle position ), you also need something that you can hold onto for lifting the front or unloading the rear wheel but still have fine control of throttle position, you have no concept and just potter around , unless you have a disability then why alter something.. I have a regular e-bike hall throttle on my 2kw bike that I use for road use and pottering around in the woods and its fine ( unless i drop the bike on it ) Im not complaining , but something that is fit for purpose is a must .. and if your happy with your setup then Woohoo!! for you.. Im not trying to sell anything either, just showing another approach to solve a problem that many people have. A quality motorcycle throttle and something like my setup cost no more than a magura but in my option has a much better feel and is more reliable that a pot throttle.

gwhy!,
when lifting the front or unloading the rear wheel, a pull or push on the bars is required, isn't hard to have fine control of throttle position, for example to give a tug without twisting the throttle?
Wouldn't a thumb throttle allow you to separate the grip on the bars and controlling the throttle?
I'm asking because I need a throttle for my first build (a mountain bike that will be ridden in technical singletrails) and want to try zero in on a throttle best suited for this application.

Thanks,
Avner.

ferret said:
gwhy!,
when lifting the front or unloading the rear wheel, a pull or push on the bars is required, isn't hard to have fine control of throttle position, for example to give a tug without twisting the throttle?
Wouldn't a thumb throttle allow you to separate the grip on the bars and controlling the throttle?
I'm asking because I need a throttle for my first build (a mountain bike that will be ridden in technical singletrails) and want to try zero in on a throttle best suited for this application.

Thanks,
Avner.

Purely my opinion of course, but I don't think there's any reason to re-invent things here. Many ebikes are simply lightweight motorcycles. Most forms of MC sports/racing have been using full twist throttles effectively for a very long time now :) It's proven to be an effective and reliable setup (or compromise, depending how you look at it).

ferret said:
gwhy!,

Thanks,
Avner.

I think the main problem with a thumb throttle on a bike that is used for technical riding that has enough grunt to loop out is when things start going wrong the natural instinct is to grip the bars tighter ( upto the point that you need to let go :mrgreen: ) and this normally includes using the thumb, so by instinct you will be applying more throttle, When pulling on the bars ( or the bike is getting to high ) the natural movement normally is a reduction in throttle twist, but with a thumb throttle then the natural movement would be a increased grip which will apply more throttle, Im 100% sure people can adapt there riding style but as trevc2 has said why re-invent it ( and your riding style ) if you dont have to. Im sure if a thumb throttle was the way to go then all the top riders will have one.

Back