Are these batteries any good for ebike?

tomtom123

100 W
are these batteries any good for building and ebike battery pack? Any one has experience with them? i doubt these are real ultra fire cells. what's the discharge rate on them? it says low discharge but not sure how low...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8pcs-Ultra-Fire-Efficient-18650-3-7V-5000mAH-Lithium-Rechargeable-Battery-Yellow-/360712561632?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item53fc24e3e0

No, avoid that brand if you can.

and 5000mah is probably a lie, any 18650 with that capacity will have such a low drain rate(as the cells say that on the side)

+1.

I just bought a LED headlight. It came with 2 of those cells. The claimed capacity was 3000mAh. The actual capacity is 950mAh, tested on my bench at 0.5A (0.17C) discharge. At 1.0A (0.33C) discharge, it's only 720mAh.

Only buy genuine 18650 LiCo cells from Sanyo, Sony and Panasonic. LG and Samsung are ok too but appear to have a lower discharge rate. Real, genuine 18650 LiCo costs at least $0.30/Wh (bulk buying). So a 2200mAh genuine Sanyo cell costs at least $2.44 each. There were a few "Grade A" Japanese cells that are ok too, but only from a reputable seller.

TwoWayStreet said:
+1.

I just bought a LED headlight. It came with 2 of those cells. The claimed capacity was 3000mAh. The actual capacity is 950mAh, tested on my bench at 0.5A (0.17C) discharge. At 1.0A (0.33C) discharge, it's only 720mAh.

Only buy genuine 18650 LiCo cells from Sanyo, Sony and Panasonic. LG and Samsung are ok too but appear to have a lower discharge rate. Real, genuine 18650 LiCo costs at least $0.30/Wh (bulk buying). So a 2200mAh genuine Sanyo cell costs at least $2.44 each. There were a few "Grade A" Japanese cells that are ok too, but only from a reputable seller.
2.44 for 2.200mah? where are you getting these? what site? cause the sites i found, they are very expensive, which is why it tried to look for cheap one. And wow, 950mah actual vs 3000 mah, that's quite a big lie...thanks for warning.

i wanted to make a battery pack from laptop batteries, but for quality 18650 cells, i've found the price to be really high...actually higher than just buying lifepo4 from ping or bmsbattery.com when you add in additional costs for necessary accessories like bms and etc. So is it even worth it? or should i just buy a premade lifepo4 pack?

You'd think it's be cheaper to buy these, take out the cells and use them instead? i've bought one for my laptop and almost a year one and this battery has been working well. The only problem is i don't know what's the discharge rate on these, if it's low, then it's pointless for ebike
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270993839546?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

That was the best deal I could find about 4 months ago. And it was also because I bought over 100 cells at a time. It's $3/cell for lesser quantity, if I remember correctly. Search for Sanyo UR18650FJ cells on Ebay and check out the seller's feedbacks.

tomtom123 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270993839546?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
They would have to PAY ME to use the cells in this battery pack. You see, it's a battery pack for Dell computer, but it is not made by Dell. It does not even have a name. What will you find in there is most likely some no name cells. Most likely a little better than the Ultrafire, but not much. In other words, it's just better junk.

Stick with real cells from Sanyo, Sony or Panasonic. You'll thank yourself later.

I can't give you an advice about generic LiFePO4 because I don't trust anything that I can't verify. What kind of cells do you get when you buy a Ping battery? Ping is not cell manufacturer, he just assembles and sells. That said, I can recommend LiFePO4 from A123 without any reservation. I have used genuine A123 18650, 26650 and 20Ah pouch and I am very impressed with all them, just as I am impressed with the 18650 LiCo from Sanyo, Sony and Panasonic.

Beware though, there are plenty of fake and defective A123 batteries in the market, mostly disguised under "b-grade" cells. There are no such thing as "b-grade" cells. Beware too, that while A123 has a high discharge rate, it energy density is pathetic in comparison with 18650 LiCo. That means for the same amount of energy, you have to carry at least 50% more weight and volume.

TwoWayStreet said:
That was the best deal I could find about 4 months ago. And it was also because I bought over 100 cells at a time. It's $3/cell for lesser quantity, if I remember correctly. Search for Sanyo UR18650FJ cells on Ebay and check out the seller's feedbacks.

tomtom123 said:
They would have to PAY ME to use the cells in this battery pack. You see, it's a battery pack for Dell computer, but it is not made by Dell. It does not even have a name. What will you find in there is most likely some no name cells. Most likely a little better than the Ultrafire, but not much. In other words, it's just better junk.

Stick with real cells from Sanyo, Sony or Panasonic. You'll thank yourself later.

I can't give you an advice about generic LiFePO4 because I don't trust anything that I can't verify. What kind of cells do you get when you buy a Ping battery? Ping is not cell manufacturer, he just assembles and sells. That said, I can recommend LiFePO4 from A123 without any reservation. I have used genuine A123 18650, 26650 and 20Ah pouch and I am very impressed with all them, just as I am impressed with the 18650 LiCo from Sanyo, Sony and Panasonic.

Beware though, there are plenty of fake and defective A123 batteries in the market, mostly disguised under "b-grade" cells. There are no such thing as "b-grade" cells. Beware too, that while A123 has a high discharge rate, it energy density is pathetic in comparison with 18650 LiCo. That means for the same amount of energy, you have to carry at least 50% more weight and volume.

Whats the discharge rate on the sanyos? the ones i've found on ebay and aliexpress only have 0.5C discharge. which sucks

0.5C CONTINUOUS is the safest discharge rate. That will ensure a long battery life. But all the genuine Sanyo, Sony and Panasonic cells will have no problem sustaining 1.0C continuous discharge. Definitely no higher than 1.0C continuously. Burst discharge at 2.0C is fine for 30 seconds max.

Back