at what point is gearing no longer helpful?

Sweet setup.

Thank you for not choosing an oh so cringeworthy friction drive. :thumb:

TrotterBob said:
Sweet setup.

Thank you for not choosing an oh so cringeworthy friction drive. :thumb:

I feel the same. I think I’ll be happy with 90 amps and 50v and 40mph top spore but with this 12:1 reduction maybe I’ll rip the wheel apart? or likely just flip off before then at 150lbs. Will see.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
At this point I’m wondering how much torque a 32 spoke mtn bike wheel can take. I think I’ll be happy with 90 amps and 50v and this 12:1 reduction but maybe I’ll rip the wheel apart?

Don't kid yourself. Whatever you're throwing at the spokes torque-wise gets divided by 32. You have to worry about the 6 bolt disc brake interface or cassette spline and pawls a long time before that.

Ok..maybe not rip it apart. I say that enthusiastically, but am I going to be ok at 130kv with 12:1 reduction and 90 amps? I hope the wheel can do it for years. I’ll just be on road

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Ok..maybe not rip it apart. I say that enthusiastically, but am I going to be ok at 130kv with 12:1 reduction and 90 amps? I hope the wheel can do it for years. I’ll just be on road

Pick a good rim. 14-15 ga spokes will shrug at your idea of mind boggling torque.

Keep in mind that's the equivalent of 10.75 kV in a hub motor at the same current. Just regular medium wind hub motor torque. Think harder about your axle flats and torque arms. The spokes will be fine, as long as you don't use thick ones that won't stay tight.

Chalo said:
Hummina Shadeeba said:

Pick a good rim. 14-15 ga spokes will shrug at your idea of mind boggling torque.

Keep in mind that's the equivalent of 10.75 kV in a hub motor at the same current. Just regular medium wind hub motor torque. Think harder about your axle flats and torque arms. The spokes will be fine, as long as you don't use thick ones that won't stay tight.

so as the motor kv is increased, and the gearing increased and matched to that kv so same wheel speed, the torque at the wheel will be the same for a given current and only the efficiency will be increased.
or maybe you all said so above and this is me making it sound simpler.

Back