Bad Controller ?

gnexus01

1 µW
I got caught in pouring rain the other day and I covered my throttle with a plastic bag, but that didn't seem to help. I switched out the throttle with one I've never used.. I get the same really rough/grinding sounding sound coming from the motor.. It only does this when it gets caught in heavy rain storm.. I let it dry out for a few days and it just works normally on it's own. I can't figure out what the problem is.. I have everything sealed up the best I can, yet it seems water got in somewhere..

It's been a couple days since I got caught in the rain and it's still acting up. Sometimes the motor will turn and other times it won't... I know it's not the throttle, as I have a new one I switched out. It's not the battery, as I tested it with another with same result. It's either the controller or the motor. Maybe something isn't right with the motor, and controller is preventing it from turning ? Sometimes I can get it to turn if I unplug the motor cable and battery, and then plug it back in again. When it does turn it makes this loud grinding sound. I made a audio recording of when it was running last night.

Here is the file, and I'm applying full throttle the entire time: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nkdt4xjv3cs60a/Voice%20011.m4a?dl=0

When the motor makes that grating sound, it's usually a problem with the hall sensors.

The water must be getting in to one of three places. 1. The motor itself, especially if the cable doesn't exit downwards. It can also get in the disk mounting screws if you don't have a disk fitted or one of the screws is missing. 2. The motor connector if there's one near the motor. 3. The hall connector at the controller end of the motorcable.

To agree with and add to what d8veh said, I'd take the connectors apart, inspect them for signs of corrosion/bent pins, make sure they are dry and apply a little dielectric grease to them. Then I'd replug them all together a few times, this will help wipe away any potential corrosion making sure the mating surfaces are clean and continuity is solid.

Also, get some fenders if you don't have them already.

Back