Identify Stealth Bomber type parts

Berniedh

10 µW
I am trying to repair my grandson's stealth bomber-type bike. He bought it online as a 3rd hand bike so got very little information. It is in bits at the moment as it doesn't work, When you turn it on and turn the throttle, the motor gives a small kick and then nothing. I identified several problems with the throttle and cabling and replaced it but still has the same problem. It could be the controller and trying to identify the correct one for the motor but don't have the necessary specs.
especially the controller and hub motor power specs.

It's in bits on the workmate but here are some photos. If anyone can give guidance on the motor and controller specs it would be appreciated.

Bernie

Attachments

• SB Bike.jpg
    SB Bike.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • SB CONTROLLER.jpg
    SB CONTROLLER.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • SB HUB MOTOR.jpg
    SB HUB MOTOR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
  • DISPLAY.JPG
    DISPLAY.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
Sounds like a Hall sensor fault. Check the plugs and cables between motor and controller. If there's any chance that the phase or Hall sensor leads have been swapped around, finding the right combination might fix it.

If not one of those things, the motor might have gotten hot and cooked the Halls.

Open the hub motor up and take a real good look inside, pictures would be nice ;)

The controller is dual mode. Diconnect the hall sensor connector (5 or 6 wire connector going to the motor) and see if it works.
If it runs, then you may be able to figure out the correct hall combo, provided the sensors weren’t cooked by the previous owner.

Sounds like a Hall sensor fault. Check the plugs and cables between motor and controller. If there's any chance that the phase or Hall sensor leads have been swapped around, finding the right combination might fix it.

If not one of those things, the motor might have gotten hot and cooked the Halls.
Thanks.... all connections look good. Checked with meter with power on, red - black 4.8v, checked black to each sensor wire. 2 raise from .2 to 4.8v while turning the wheel, the other only raises to 1.1v. Next will job to open the motor and check/replace hall sensors. I will replace all 3 while the motor is open.

Dismantled the hub motor to check the hall sensors. Checking the solder joints I wasn't happy with the green wire connection (A).
I cleaned the board and re-soldered the connections. Re-tested the hall sensors and all sensors showed good results. I reassembled the wheel and installed it on the bike and it worked! However, after a couple of minutes, it stopped working with the same symptoms as before. Back to testing again.

Attachments

• BLDC HALLS.jpg
    BLDC HALLS.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 5
Checked all the same things and could not identify any component failure. Dismantled the hub and worked through re-soldering all the connections on the halls circuit board. Put it all back and it all works fine without any failure. (phew)!! now to work through all the other poor construction a poor workmanship. Thanks to all for the good tips.

The bike is still running fine. Done some more digging to identify the correct specs. Finally found a supplier with similar motors (Valeriu Borta - Ebike Solutions Ebike Solution) and got confirmation of the following.
"Yeah this is a standard 2kw hub motor designed to work at 48/52., It can work at 72v, but just need to monitor the heat, it might overheat as it gets warmer outside."
Ebike Solutions also helped me identify that the wrong type of display was installed so the power and speed weren't displayed. I changed out the `UKC1 for an SW900. The motor runs a lot smoother now and the bike can reach 60mph.

Back