Bafang M500/M600 thread

thx . but then i need to flash motor and then i need besst tool anyway ?
Yes.. BESST is mandatory, when you want to change firmware. For setting assist levels DPC245/DPC010 and GO+ app are enough. However DPC240/DPC241 are deprecated, as well as the M500. Consider upgrading if you want to use newer features like GO+.

Yes.. BESST is mandatory, when you want to change firmware. For setting assist levels DPC245/DPC010 and GO+ app are enough. However DPC240/DPC241 are deprecated, as well as the M500. Consider upgrading if you want to use newer features like GO+.
okay thank you for the answer . assist levels are something. what else plays big role ? display firmware ? motor firmware ? how to check them ? is there any compendium about them ?

Hello everybody, could somebody please help me, I have Bafang M600 engine and tried to replace one bearing inside. Did some stupid thing and accidently cut all the wires from the torque sensor. Maybe somebody has a diagram or some wiring scheme which color cable goes to which pin in the connector. Any help would be very appreciated, even some photos if you have this part in your hands. Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20240508_115451.jpg
    20240508_115451.jpg
    752.1 KB · Views: 10
Feels like it's just red, black, gray, white, green, purple just from the wire lengths and positions:

Screenshot_20240508-184940.png

Red and black are probably just +10V and ground anyway, so you should be able to check them from turning on your controller, plugging in the connector, and using a volt meter on the cut end attached to the connector. Once those are wired back on to the sensor, the others are likely signal wires. Many torque sensors are actually combination cadence and torque sensors. Not the end of the world to swap them around until the controller is sensing turning it correctly. Having red and black right would be enough to not destroy hall sensors, I think, unless there's a separate +5V in there for them somehow.

To configure the Bafang M500 / M600 motor without using the BESST programmer, you can use this interface.

Link interface USB to CAN on Amazon:

Link cables Bafang HMI M500/M600 on e-bike-technologies:

Below are the software and the instructions for configuration and use.

Hello, I am new here, try to search in this thread, but I am not sure.
I ONLY need to set higher Speed limitation on my M500 as cheap as possible.

I found CiDi post for USB CAN converter, but links for connectors Are dead.

Found also this ONLY pressing button cable for 35$, but if I understand correctly max Speed can be set ONLY to 60km/h (not lower)

Not needed flash firmware right Now, but maybe in the Future. Flash firmware Is ONLY possible by BESST programmer?

Thanks for advice!

Not sure about your specific bike/firmware/controller, ect, but on my M600 the 'speed limit' was 'removed' by moving the speed sensor magnet just a bit closer to the center of the hub, so the speed sensor could not pick it up. This effectively set the max assist speed to 'unlimited' and it was free. If having the speedo on the display always show "0", you can likely get a cheap bike computer which will give you speed, plus a whole lot more... and you can likely set it fairly accurately for your wheel size.

Feels like it's just red, black, gray, white, green, purple just from the wire lengths and positions:

View attachment 352380

Red and black are probably just +10V and ground anyway, so you should be able to check them from turning on your controller, plugging in the connector, and using a volt meter on the cut end attached to the connector. Once those are wired back on to the sensor, the others are likely signal wires. Many torque sensors are actually combination cadence and torque sensors. Not the end of the world to swap them around until the controller is sensing turning it correctly. Having red and black right would be enough to not destroy hall sensors, I think, unless there's a separate +5V in there for them somehow.
Thanks a lot, thought the same about connections, just wanted to make sure everything is alright. That tip with checking 10V+ and ground is really smart, thanks again:)

I've had my M600 since spring 2020. I've never updated the firmware as it runs very well and is already set to 28MPH limit. I've gone through a couple of displays. 2 860Cs as they seem to break after a year or two.
After the failure of my 2nd 860, I decided to try something new. I also wanted to save a bit more space for my phone mount so I got a Bafang 600C. Works very well although the 860C showed all the data more easily all on one page.

Now - the reason for this post. On the 860C, although there was a setup item for wheel size and maximum speed, they were locked in place, presumably to the values programmed in the firmware.
With the 600C, these can be changed and, although not extensively tested, seem to work. I was very surprised.
I was able to set the speed limit down to 15MPH and, my speed was limited. I haven't tested on the high end as I rarely exceed 28MPH anyway.

Now, a couple of questions.
1) The assist levels setup allows for 4 choices - 3, 5, 9 and U. Yes, U, not a typo. If I set this I get 6 levels. Any idea what this is doing and why I see 6 levels?
2) As this is not a glass display but acrylic, I'm a bit worried about scratching. Does anyone know of a screen protector, preferably glass, that will fit a 2.4 inch display? I know about the cut them yourself types but would really like glass.

This is a follow up to my post about the 600C controller above which seems to have failed today. I went into a store and when I came back out, the bike wouldn't restart, just a blank, no one home, display. The entire sordid affair below.

I was out for a ride today with my FLX V4 Trail which has an M600 motor and a 600C display. Everything was fine. I stopped to go into a store and when I came out, the bike would not start up. The display was completely dead. I've had a couple of display failures before so I expected to be able to plug in an old display I have (DPC230, the original from the bike) and have everything work.

I plugged in the old display and it immediately lit up (without pressing a button) and after the usual screen came up, it immediately showed Error 30. Pressing the on button for a few seconds allowed the usual screen to show again, and if I ride the bike, it seems normal until I turn it off again, then it won't restart with the switch. Unplugging/ plugging the display repeats the above behavior.
Not sure if it's relevant but a month or so ago, the 860C display I was using for over a year suffered a similar failure where the bike just wouldn't start up. Plugging in the DPC 230 worked perfectly so I bought a new 600C which has only been on the bike for about a week and, until today, worked great.

At the risk of TMI, I also want to note that the 600C allows changing the wheel diameter and top speed. I did change these to test out this capability. This appears to make a change to the bike controller. I say this because I had changed the top speed to 32 and the wheel diameter to 27.5. Previously these were set to 28 and 28. I mention this only because when I look at these setting now with the DPC230, they are, as always, read-only but are showing the new values I had set with the 600C. This leads me to wildly speculate that the controller now expects a 600C and when it doesn't find it, complains about error 30 (communications error).
I have already looked for pinched wires, loose or bent connectors etc. and found nothing. This includes the plugs into the motor and controller.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Back