• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Bafang M500/M600 thread

Tomblarom said:
CiDi said:
Pins of the throttle?

Remade the image in correct orientation and added throttle, brake and pin-numbers.
Qw2MRRG.jpg

Here is the corrected wiring diagram. Should be final, right? Not sure about 2x VCC. Attached the .fzz (Fritzing file)
ZHvJSBr.png

Are you sure there is a brake connector option?
The brake connector is on another cable.
I know there is a front light connector option.

Tomblarom said:
Remade the image in correct orientation and added throttle, brake and pin-numbers.
Qw2MRRG.jpg

Here is the corrected wiring diagram. Should be final, right? Not sure about 2x VCC. Attached the .fzz (Fritzing file)
ZHvJSBr.png
If you want this to be on the repository to help others, I would advice to keep the same colors on the wires: for instance, there is one that starts at white and ends as blue.

casainho said:
CiDi said:
Because the display starts sending can messages before there is voltage on the VCC terminal.
The only way to do this is to take voltage from the P+ terminal.
Ok, I didn't jad that information!

So, since I will not use the Vbattery pin, now I understand I should focus only on GND and P+ pin.

But that is like magic that very different voltages. Can you please clarify which are the values while pressing the power button (even while the display is already on!) and the value while the display is on?

P+ has battery voltage while the display is off? Or only when the display is not connected??

Off: VCC=0V, P+=Battery+, Can=off

Press the power button for display on:
VCC=0V, P+=2.2V, Can=on

Display on:
VCC=Battery+, P+=2.2V, Can=on

Release the power button:
VCC=Battery+, P+=4.5V, Can=on

Press the power button for display off:

Display off:
VCC=0V, P+=2.2V, Can=on

VCC=0V, P+=Battery+, Can=off

CiDi said:
Are you sure there is a brake connector option?
I'm 100% sure! Got 3 different cables. They are all identical in display connector, but have these different optional connectors. Yes there is a front-light option, but I did not add it anywhere yet.
tsADlDEm.jpg

casainho said:
keep the same colors on the wires
You can add it. I won't change anything about the colors. These are the actual colors of the connector cables, HIGO uses!

Tomblarom said:
casainho said:
keep the same colors on the wires
You can add it. I won't change anything about the colors. These are the actual colors of the connector cables, HIGO uses!
I didn´t known there was a logic for that colors, thought they were random.

How do you know which colors of the wires? did you open the cables to see the wires??

casainho said:
How do you know which colors of the wires? did you open the cables to see the wires??
Official documentation lookup from HIGO?

Tomblarom said:
casainho said:
Official documentation lookup from HIGO?
Would you like to add that image to the connectors section on the repository -- https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/Bafang_M500_M600/blob/main/Hardware/README.md

CiDi said:
Off: VCC=0V, P+=Battery+, Can=off

Press the power button for display on:
VCC=0V, P+=2.2V, Can=on
Are you using oscilloscope? because I would like to know if the transition for Battery+ to 2.2V or 4.5V, is kind of a square / fast transition.

When you say here CAN = on, I assume is display sending CAN data and motor controller not yet sending any data. So ok, the display really uses the power from P+. And that 2.2V could be related to some voltage specific voltage to represent the button pressed? maybe to signal the motor controller that button was pressed and 4.5V that button is not pressed?

CiDi said:
Press the power button for display off:

Display off:
VCC=0V, P+=2.2V, Can=on

VCC=0V, P+=Battery+, Can=off
Is that a button press or a long press to turn off the motor?

Does anyone imagine a circuit where the display powers itself from P+=Battery+ while still being able to force 2 different voltages of 2.2V for button pressed or 4.5V for button not pressed??

casainho said:
Are you using oscilloscope? because I would like to know if the transition for Battery+ to 2.2V or 4.5V, is kind of a square / fast transition.

I don't have an oscilloscope, I measure it with a tester.

Tomblarom said:
ZHvJSBr.png

I fixed your wiring diagram.

Attachments

• M500-M600 wiring harness.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 47
  • M500-M600 wiring harness.jpg
    M500-M600 wiring harness.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,088
  • MotorDisplayConnector.jpg
    MotorDisplayConnector.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,087
These are the official abbreviations used by Bafang on the controller board.

Attachments

• IMG_20210621_184505.jpg
    IMG_20210621_184505.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 1,072
Tomblarom said:
Thanks! I updated my initial post according to your info. Maybe add light-output as well for reference.

In my cable the QD pin is the headlight, in your schematic it is indicated as BRAKE signal.
For the BRAKE connectors in my motor there is an additional cable.
If you are sure, there are different firmware to do the two options.

Attachments

• Bafang_M500_M600_Display_Cable.jpg
    Bafang_M500_M600_Display_Cable.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,043
CiDi said:
Tomblarom said:
Thanks! I updated my initial post according to your info. Maybe add light-output as well for reference.

In my cable the QD pin is the headlight, in your schematic it is indicated as BRAKE signal.
If you are sure, there are different firmware to do the two options.
Maybe you guys could add that information to the repository and with that explanations, then user will have to check by itself.

Please update that image with connectors of 3 pins when only there are 3 pins.

CiDi said:
I also got a wiring harness, that has the headlight connectors. Going to measure this one as well and compare it. It's the same harness, that has brake cutoffs, see my post..

@casainho you can surely add to the repo, when I finished the ongoing discussion with CiDi..

Tomblarom said:
I also got a wiring harness, that has the headlight connectors. Going to measure this one as well and compare it. It's the same harness, that has brake cutoffs, see my post..

I checked in the Bafang workbook, there is no cable for M500/M600 that has the brake connector together with the display connector.
The only cable that has the brake connector together with the display connector is for M315/M215.
Check it yourself and update us.

Attachments

• BAFANG_Workbook_OEM_2021-2.pdf
    6.6 MB · Views: 119
CiDi said:
Tomblarom said:

I checked in the Bafang workbook, there is no cable for M500/M600 that has the brake connector together with the display connector.
The only cable that has the brake connector together with the display connector is for M315/M215.
That document also list batteries with only lower voltages than 48V while it is common to buy this motors wit 48V.

casainho said:
CiDi said:
Tomblarom said:

That document also list batteries with only lower voltages than 48V while it is common to buy this motors wit 48V.

Bafang batteries are only 43V, but you can use batteries with other voltages produced by others.
The cables are those, to put the Brake connector on the display cable you have to change the firmware, and this seems strange to me.
Sorry if I insist but I don't want us to give wrong indications.

CiDi said:
Bafang batteries are only 43V, but you can use batteries with other voltages produced by others.
The cables are those, to put the Brake connector on the display cable you have to change the firmware, and this seems strange to me.
I think there is in the market more options than only the Bafang ones we see on that document, for instance the
"eBike Bafang Display 860C CAN" display that you can find on Ebay or Aliexpress.

casainho said:
CiDi said:
I think there is in the market more options than only the Bafang ones we see on that document, for instance the
"eBike Bafang Display 860C CAN" display that you can find on Ebay or Aliexpress.

This display is not manufactured by Bafang.
What Bafang sells is on this catalog, but you can order special configurations agreed with them.
I don't rule out the cable you say exists, but I don't understand how it can work without proper firmware.

CiDi said:
This display is not manufactured by Bafang.
What Bafang sells is on this catalog, but you can order special configurations agreed with them.
I don't rule out the cable you say exists, but I don't understand how it can work without proper firmware.
I was just saying that there may be other cables on the market, with other combinations / color wires, etc. But I agree they will probably follow the original ones and for sure work with original firmware.

I add the brakes cable diagram.
The wiring diagram of the "speed sensor/gear sensor/rear light" remains to be done.

Attachments

• Bafang_M500_M600_Breakes_Cable.jpg
    Bafang_M500_M600_Breakes_Cable.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,019
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Just want to focus on the battery here for a second. Four or so years back when I was trying to design an eMTB with an M600 system at the same time I had recently transitioned to using 21700 cells and was interested in a battery, not available anywhere I could find. I had a contact inside Bafang at the time and was made aware of the CanBus system and trying to understand how it affected the battery in order for the design to work properly.

What I found out was that the BMS com protocol needed to be CAN and at that time there were none to be had so in order to make a battery one would have to be designed and manufactured and adding to that the case design and getting to a complete design the project got too involved so it was abandoned.

Obviously there are BMS's now that have the CAN com protocol as listed in the Bafang workbook:
Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 11.05.12 AM.png

But the above statement stating "but you can use batteries with other voltages produced by others." means that in order to be effective they should have a CAN com protocol BMS?

I didn't end up with an M600 bike in the end but still keep an eye on its development. I am primarily interested in the battery aspect though because I feel that it is such an important element of the equation that is being overlooked a bit? The use of integrated ones has set parameters around how many wh's that can be fit on the bike which is a big thing for those that want very long range. Simplest solution is another battery certainly but when the M600 was first announced it was supposed to be supported by at least 3 different Ah ratings up to 1000wh if I recall correctly. Obviously that didn't transpire or perhaps just hasn't yet?

The M600 will run fine on just a simple + -. A few of us have made 21700 batteries and they work fine, in fact very well. My 48 volt unit will start up on the 58.4 volts my charger takes the battery to. I like the 52 volts as the cadence is more like a proper mtb rather than the low speed torque of some of the mid motors.

But the displays will only display battery volts and not the peripheral calculated mileage to go etc. Some displays will show W/hs used so I guess thats just an onward going calculation.

Waynemarlow said:
But the displays will only display battery volts and not the peripheral calculated mileage to go etc. Some displays will show W/hs used so I guess thats just an onward going calculation.
If the calculation is in Wh it is easy to estimate the remaining distance based on the current consumption
DIY display can do that

Back