Battery pack care?

Jonny333

1 W
I Recently got a new Panasonic electric assist bicycle here in Japan. It has a 25 V lithium ion 16 AH pack. Comes with a simple all or nothing charger. There are surprisingly no real instructions on care of the battery ( most expensive thing on the bike ). I just keep it fully charged all the time. However, I normally keep my lithium polymer and lithium ion batteries at about 70% when not using them. I’ve seen lithium-ion PowerTool Packs that specifically said to keep them fully charged at all times. Are E bike batteries different?

Most cells like to be stored at around 50% for maximum calendar life.
In fact, they tend to be shipped in a half charged state for just this reason.

It wouldn't hurt your pack if you stored it at 50%-ish, even though the company says to keep it charged up.
You'd of course want some kind of voltmeter attached to your charger or bike so that you know when to pull the plug.

Between 40% and 80% charge is close enough. I used to keep my RC Lipos ( notoriously finnicky and short life cells ) at ~75% and they lasted me 6 years before they got too saggy and puffy.

Yeah I basically just avoid keeping them very full or very dead. If I get home on a low battery (under say 30% or so) I give it a quick charge to get it over 50% and wait until I'm closer to my next ride before filling it up (usually to around 85% unless I'm planning a long trip).

I wouldn't put much stock in advise from the people that get to sell you a new battery when yours wears out. Storing Li-Ions at 100% will shorten their life a fair amount.

Cheers. I used to do a lot of RC aircraft, and Lipo % was critical (more so after the fedex explosion jacked the cost up triple or more). I was told liion were similar, like a more tolerant cousin.
This pack has a 5-led gradation charge indicator. I can check it manually. Was just hoping it would be a ‘fire and forget’ always 100% is good charge.

Back