• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Best 18650 battery for the buck? Best deals?

Dauntless said:
51JJeLKf30L._AC_UL115_.jpg

I can only say so far so good, but I haven't had them long. The price has gone up since I got mine for 4x $7.99, it's $9.75 for the set now. 15 ratings on Amazon, 10 at 5, 4 at 4 and a 3. The down votes are just about their device problems, actually.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CNV27K4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why oh why do you even bring up such shit in a thread that inexperienced batterybuyers might read?
Every cell with bullshit labels is a fraud that most often is horribly bad.
If you dont know that the current frontier in 18650s is in the 3500mah region, then you shouldnt give advice at all.
Do you honestly think that buying "5800mah 18650s" from amazon is good advice?

Buy used tesla cells. it is the cheapest way to get QUALITY 18650BE's

Buy from someone who has sold a fair amount so you have a good idea you are getting what they are saying you are getting.

If you are making your own pack I recommend not to solder them, and if you are going to solder them get a HIGH powered iron so you can do it quick. You don't want to heat the "jelly roll" up too much. If you use a low powered soldering iron, all you will do is heat up the whole cell. You need to hit it fast and hot to get the solder to melt and get a good bond.

Welding is the right way..

Eric

msebold said:
It appears the best (or one of the best) 18650 batteries to use in a Ebike battery pack is Panasonic's NCR18650GA (rated at about 3500mah and 10amp continuous output).

As many are aware these are very expensive. :( (BTW, any tips on the best bulk price for these?)

It might be more cost effective to use a good quality battery with a little less capacity. At a significantly lower price I might simply add an extra parallel row and achieve the same overall capacity.

Opinions on the best 18650 battery for the buck? Best deals?
Did you see this tread? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61608

Punx0r said:
Is this a joke? :roll:

Is what a joke? Your post? Are you going to tell us in the punchline? Oh, I get it, I'm supposed to be the straight man, right? This is like a knock knock joke?

Wheazel said:
Why oh why do you even bring up such shit in a thread that inexperienced batterybuyers might read?

Because that's the whole point of the thread? Because I'm the only inexperienced battery buyer that's barely a few steps ahead of him and that understands what he REALLY wants to know that's responding in this thread? Is there another angle on that one you'd need to be brought up to reality on?

Wheazel said:

Upon what do you base "Bullshit labels?" Does that mean that they're not on your personal Approved Alibaba seller list?

Wheazel said:
If you dont know that the current frontier in 18650s is in the 3500mah region, then you shouldnt give advice at all. Do you honestly think that buying "5800mah 18650s" from amazon is good advice?

They didn't ask about frontiers, they asked about batteries. Let's see if I could get you redirected back to the original question:

msebold said:
Opinions on the best 18650 battery for the buck? Best deals?

That's it. These are my favorite of the collection I've been toying with, the only others I think much of are the the Prosvet, not quite as good or quite as cheap. If you don't know that the current frontier in "Bang for the buck" means a cheap battery that sure seems worth it then you shouldn't give advice at all. Obviously I DO think buying these so far successful batteries I've been using is a good idea or I wouldn't have posted them. Let figuring that one out be your final frontier. People are posting on Amazon which batteries did or didn't work, which seller replaced the bad ones and how quickly. Meanwhile, note all the threads around here about problems with your precious Alibaba sellers.

(Are you honestly telling me you don't have any second thoughts about that post?)

Let me refer you to another whose advice on the matter much echoes my own:

dogman dan said:
Well, all I can say is the cheapest unknown seller on Alibaba is not the best bang for the buck. It's merely the cheapest. . .But,,, it was dirt cheap, and I got what I needed. I can run it fine on weak bikes, or in parallel with another battery on stronger bikes. My needs were very modest.

Even if it's not really on topic, the Dogman has the right idea.

One thing I'm thinking of trying with them is building a $33 or whatever 8s2p lithium battery with which to indulge in my foray into building packs. The point is, diving into the dangerous waters CHEAP. I can start with running around on one of my Curries, probably the 750w "Direct drive." (Actually they lied, it's an enclosed chain drive that LOOKS direct drive.) My first thought us that it'll burn up because of my own lack of knowledge rather than because the cheap cells that so far are doing so surprisingly well caused the problem, but we'll see. How nice that I'm not spending as much money on it. It pays to THINK AHEAD.

Meanwhile, you insist that one must spend over $100 to conduct such experiments. Fascinating. And you're saying that buying the original posters' suggested battery on Amazon is somehow worse than buying it elsewhere. https://www.amazon.com/NCR18650B-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-Panasonic/dp/B00C26OWGS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51pGHl7VKKL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=BG2PH31PB0P828W3MDZZ

parabellum said:

That goes for you, too. So, joined any good mob riots lately?

It would be great to see a capacity of these batteries. Its highly unlikely they have the capacity advertised, but with relabelled cells, there's really no way of knowing what they really are - other than by conducting a capacity test. You might also consider a discharge stress test, but that's up to you. Capacity testing is usually the dead give away.

They may be junk, or as you say, may be of surprising quality. The chances are they are recycled cells and its a bit of a lucky dip as to what you end up with.

Dauntless said:
I'm perfectly happy to learn things, but I'm really not an engineer. How would I accomplish these tests?
Take the cells you got, open trash can, place in trash. The test will be if they catch on fire or not.

To be absolutely clear, the cells you got from amazon are overpriced garbage.

okashira said:

To be absolutely clear, no they're not. I would not be using them trouble free if they were garbage at all. Overpriced? Getting the job done when they're this cheap? You have a problem with your definitions.

Dauntless said:
Wheazel said:

Because that's the whole point of the thread? Because I'm the only inexperienced battery buyer that's barely a few steps ahead of him and that understands what he REALLY wants to know that's responding in this thread? Is there another angle on that one you'd need to be brought up to reality on?

Can you point out to "the rest of us" what he really want to know that we cant provide then? Do you know that he wants to buy vaporware and most likely get into trouble later on?

Dauntless said:
Wheazel said:

Upon what do you base "Bullshit labels?" Does that mean that they're not on your personal Approved Alibaba seller list?

Are you for real? You give advice about "5800mah 18650s from amazon". What label do you think I mean?
Doesnt it strike you that it is relevant that the current best cells that are available are in the 3500mah region?
What do alibaba sellers have to do with all this? I didn't speak of any. I recommend proven sources like ES members Tumich, Okashira, or sites like Nkon to name a few.
Then you know you will get what you buy. And the fact that you come here and give advice about an unproven fraud-deal, with no data to back it up, says a thing or two about your general approach to science and critical thinking.

Dauntless said:
okashira said:

To be absolutely clear, no they're not. I would not be using them trouble free if they were garbage at all. Overpriced? Getting the job done when they're this cheap? You have a problem with your definitions.

Ok lets see some data then. You make a bold claim that goes towards the majority of other cases with fraud-labeled cells.

I'm happy to do a discharge test on my electronic load or maybe someone else can. Be very careful to recommend a cell without having any data to back it up.

I would be extremely surprised if they tested out with a consistent 2000mAh and consistent resistance.

The last time I tested a headlamp from amazon that came with a 3000mAh battery, the battery was fake. It wasn't even a 18650. It was a 18650 sized can and inside was a small LiPo cell that did like 350-400mAh.

Dauntless said:
okashira said:

qW0VQRP.jpg

these came out to about $1 per cell. got them via amazon. genuine 3M portable projector batteries. chinese 18650 from a company i've never heard of, Amperex. i guess 3M wouldn't risk their reputation on explosive cells. haven't heard of any recalls

and they come welded w/ nickel tabs so a noob could easily wire them up

Or 3m canceled the contract once 3m found out they were getting cheap chinese batts. And now the chinese mfg is dumping its crap product on stupid people.

Show capaity curves at 1c 3c. Buy an icharger. It will do all this.

You dont need to be an engineer. You just need an IQ over 121

eric1565 said:
Or 3m canceled the contract once 3m found out they were getting cheap chinese batts. And now the chinese mfg is dumping its crap product on stupid people.

mr1tANC.png

so 3M supplies amperex w/ materials then uses the cells in its own products. so much for your silly theory :roll:

yeah i got ichargers. i'm sure i got graphs of this cell somewhere, which isn't very pretty (IR is a bit high)

now take your condescending tone and gtfo

Overclocker said:
eric1565 said:

mr1tANC.png

so 3M supplies amperex w/ materials then uses the cells in its own products. so much for your silly theory :roll:

yeah i got ichargers. i'm sure i got graphs of this cell somewhere, which isn't very pretty (IR is a bit high)

now take your condescending tone and gtfo

Take it easy! It looks like you got a good deal. But only limited availability I'm sure. Tthe cells you got are in now way comparable to what the guy with the 5800 mah cells is talking about.

Dauntless said:
okashira said:

Some people really hate to be wrong. I love it when I am proven wrong.

I'd bet my reputation that the cells I sell right in my signature have better power/$, energy/$, safety/$ and longevity/$ then what you got.
But what do I know.

Overclocker said:
[

these came out to about $1 per cell. got them via amazon. genuine 3M portable projector batteries. chinese 18650 from a company i've never heard of, Amperex. i guess 3M wouldn't risk their reputation on explosive cells. haven't heard of any recalls

and they come welded w/ nickel tabs so a noob could easily wire them up

They made a mediocre pack on the cheap, but their age will affect their service. They weren't reject cells, the product was discontinued. A market failure.

Can't ride my glad lights and the tests for them aren't necessarily a good comparison.

Oh good lord I'd have took some of those for $1 each. The bananas are such a nice touch, given some of the behavior.

Wheazel said:
Are you for real?

I feel like I want to adopt the personae of Mr. Spock and discuss philosophers who say our dreams are our reality and our waking hours are really just our dreams. Or maybe the idea that Earth is just our mirror images, while our real selves. . . .

. . . .Oh, go to hell, you know damn well I'm for real or you wouldn't bother being such a phony to me. Sometimes Dr. McCoy has the more effective personae.

okashira said:
Some people really hate to be wrong. I love it when I am proven wrong.

And some people just love squawking and raising a fuss for no reason.

okashira said:
I'd bet my reputation that the cells I sell right in my signature have better power/$, energy/$, safety/$ and longevity/$ then what you got.
But what do I know.

What you should know is that when you insist on being mindlessly assaultive on what's NOT your product people tend to think you need to run down the others to build yours up. I wonder if there's any caring about batteries at all underneath all the egoteering that's going on. Dang.

Phase 1: Recommended Ultrafire-esque cells
Phase 2: Vigorously defend decision to recommend Ultrafire-esque cells
Phase 3: ?
Phase 4 Profit!

Dauntless said:
What you should know is that when you insist on being mindlessly assaultive on what's NOT your product people tend to think you need to run down the others to build yours up. I wonder if there's any caring about batteries at all underneath all the egoteering that's going on. Dang.

Mindlessly assaultive? He is pointing out to you how flawed your reasoning is.
It will continue to be flawed as long as you don't provide sufficient evidence to back your claims.
Tesla cells have been tested many times (not only by okashira).

So it would be better on all parts if you could quit the BS, and stop to give advice you can not back up in any way.
Saying stuff like "oh sorry but im no engineer" or "how do I measure capacity?" does not make your arguments any more solid.
Do you think it would be wise to give advice about carengines and the next minute ask what a camshaft is?
Maybe buying a half broken noname lawnmower engine from ebay instantly could make you an expert...

I am sure the majority of people that post here cares about giving the best advice they can.
And this majority also refrain to post advice in topics where they have no clue, strictly because they do not know enough to give good advice.
You should consider this too.

Lurkin said:
The reality is, there is no 'best cell' or 'best cell for the buck' until you qualify what it is you are using it for.

Parameters include cost, safety, knowledge, user friendliness, personal preference, size/shape, quality, DIY/vendor assembled, required discharge rate, capacity, compatibility, longevity expectations to name a few...

Lots of variable here. As you know, I am inquiring about cost versus output of individual cells. You know of any particular 18650 cells that have safety issues, that are not user friendly, that vary in size or shape, or that require assembly? Not really sure what you're trying to relate here Lurkin.

Back