Best Gear Ratio

bbcane78

1 W
I am not sure how to go about picking the best gear ratio. I have a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6364-245kv Brushless Outrunner Motor and am using a 9S2P setup for batteries and 83mm Flywheels. And info helps.

I personally enjoy 16/36 as it gives me the most top speed. I've tried 12/36, 14/36, 15/36, 16/36 but I don't notice any changes as far as "more torque". I feel the 1:2.25 ratio is the best.

Nothing like having extra throttle in the tank when you need it and IMO since the higher torque ratio (1:3 or 1:3.5) doesn't do anything for me... I prefer the 1:2.25 ratio for speed as it seems more powerful, stronger anyways.

Ok I will go with that, how do I know which belt will work for me though? Also do either of you have any old belts/ pulleys you would be willing to part with, I am having trouble finding ones that aren't coming out to 60$+ for everything and would like to know that it would work with abec clones before committing to buying something that expensive. And I am not trying to drill my own belt pulley.

torqueboards said:
I personally enjoy 16/36 as it gives me the most top speed. I've tried 12/36, 14/36, 15/36, 16/36 but I don't notice any changes as far as "more torque". I feel the 1:2.25 ratio is the best.

Nothing like having extra throttle in the tank when you need it and IMO since the higher torque ratio (1:3 or 1:3.5) doesn't do anything for me... I prefer the 1:2.25 ratio for speed as it seems more powerful, stronger anyways.

Hmmm ,....waz asking myself the exact same question about gearing & 8-10S? I very suprised about the 16T , when even with a 14 T it is still around 30 mph !!

..Would have thought 12t or 13t would have been best ? Interesting !

Would 16T this still be true for 10S also?

Just to throw some nails in your road.
There is no " One Ratio fits All" it really depends on what you want and how you ride.
As the guys have pointed out, they are doing great with a 1:2.25 ratio - and I am not even remotely suggesting that this is not a good starting point.
What I am going to point out though is that it also depends on your own capability on the board.
I ride with a higher ratio, which is obviously slower. The guys mention 30mph and I personally will brown my pants long before that. If you have a good speed when hitting a hill then momentum does a lot for you as well as the fact that the motor is nicely spun up and developing good torque. Me, I hit the hill a lot slower but still want to get to the top without slowing down more or heating the motor - this I do by using a longer gear ration of +- 1:3.
Go with the 16/36 - to change later is not a problem. A new gear and belt is not expensive.

For the ABEC clones I use, and would recommend, the pulley fitting seen here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=74860&p=1141934&hilit=+beetbocks#p1141934

Belts you can get easily all over, Ebay would be a place to start looking. Search HTD belt 5M pitch then just choose your length given by the calculator that Torqueboards linked.

torqueboards said:

Hi Torqueboards, your comments about gearing on the 6364-245, with a 16T/36T ,

With what ESC ?,
Is that what you use in S.F ??

Single motor or double with this gearing ?

Thank you.

I prefer double motor for added stopping power downhill. But a single 6364 245kv with 16/36 will go up most hills even at 200 lbs. You should be perfectly fine. 20-25% grade hills.

I use my torqueboards 12s ESC currently. Will start testing VESC soon too.

torqueboards said:
I prefer double motor for added stopping power downhill. But a single 6364 245kv with 16/36 will go up most hills even at 200 lbs. You should be perfectly fine. 20-25% grade hills.

I use my torqueboards 12s ESC currently. Will start testing VESC soon too.

I've heard a few people's concerns about the VESC not being able to accelerate quickly if wanted compared to RC ESC,... the Vesc almost to smoothly ?

Does it matter how many teeth the pulleys have if the ratio is the same. only asking because I purchased a 20T motor pulley awhile back.

Hi bbcane78

If the ratio is the same the performance will be the same.
One has to look at a few things though. Go to small on the front gear and there will not be so many teeth in the mesh, go to big and the wheel gear becomes huge as well.
So if you have a 20 tooth gear and using the ratio 1:2.25 often stated then your wheel gear would be 45 tooth - that is going to be just over 70mm diameter, whereas the 36 tooth one would be about 57mm.
The belt itself adds a bit to the diameter so with a 83mm wheel there is not all that much clearance and you increase the possibility of damage to belt/gear.

There are always the pedantic people here who may argue the exact diameters so don't take them as 100% accurate - but you get my drift.

Back