Best place to buy some LiPo's from?? (Not Hobbyking)

kiwipete

100 mW
I've been trying to buy some LiPo's from HobbyKing (first ever order with them) and my experience with them is that they are absolutely useless!
As we say here in New Zealand: "they couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery". Full story is here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55978

Anyway, the question is, what is a good place to order some LiPo's from? Obviously, I don't want be paying through the nose, but surely there must be some outfit out there that can supply reasonable LiPo's for a reasonable price?

kiwipete said:
I've been trying to buy some LiPo's from HobbyKing (first ever order with them) and my experience with them is that they are absolutely useless!
As we say here in New Zealand: "they couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery". Full story is here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55978

Anyway, the question is, what is a good place to order some LiPo's from? Obviously, I don't want be paying through the nose, but surely there must be some outfit out there that can supply reasonable LiPo's for a reasonable price?

Depends on what you consider reasonable. Because HK LiPos are DIRT CHEAP compared to any other brand. Next step up might exceed your expectations of reason.

kiwipete said:

Hmmm. I think you'll be paying a lot more if you go somewhere else. Let us know if you find a place.

EVTodd said:
kiwipete said:

Hmmm. I think you'll be paying a lot more if you go somewhere else. Let us know if you find a place.

And if you start paying more, part of the benefits of LiPo go out the door. I think if I had to pay that higher amount, I would just switch to NMC cells. They are starting to put out some impressive current handling, reducing the large pack requirement of the "laptop cells"

kiwipete said:

There are good reasons why most of us on here use HK, despite their flaws.
They are not perfect, but they are accessible to most , well priced, consistent quality, and do not tend to rip people off.
There are plenty of other sources of RC lipo ( try Ebay) but few will be as cheap as HK , and many will have suspect quality lipo.
Your determination to avoid HK is unlikely to improve your purchasing experience !

Might be better on the buying part, if the Ebay vendor is located close enough to you.

Half HK's problems are a result of the shipping, holidays, etc. My problems were surely caused by the fact that ordering only in stock items only works if they aren't a month behind on updating the items stocking status on the website.

dogman said:
Might be better on the buying part, if the Ebay vendor is located close enough to you.

Half HK's problems are a result of the shipping, holidays, etc. My problems were surely caused by the fact that ordering only in stock items only works if they aren't a month behind on updating the items stocking status on the website.

And they are getting A LOT better with shipping (new warehouses, better stocked) and packaging (boxes look legit now). My last purchase was quite fast and everything was perfect!

Buying from the US warehouse was good for me too, till the purchases last spring when stock levels were low on every battery they (HK) sell. I ordered in stock items, but they clearly were not in stock when my order reached the packaging station.

But Kiwipete does not have a NZ warehouse that I have heard of. So he's stuck with the china warehouse, that I will never order a battery from again. EVER. Just too full of recurring problems getting the packages out. Non battery packages tend to go fine, unless it's a big holiday.

HK do have an Australian warehouse, though. Might be easier to deal with since operating under AU rather than Chinese laws, and perhaps staffed by Aussies?

Yeah, interesting to hear dogman say he'd never buy from the china warehouse again. Unfortunately thats what I'm stuck with. If I could order from either the US or AU warehouse I'd give it another shot, but the website forces me to use the international/chinese one. :-(

Hi,

cal3thousand said:
And if you start paying more, part of the benefits of LiPo go out the door. I think if I had to pay that higher amount, I would just switch to NMC cells. They are starting to put out some impressive current handling, reducing the large pack requirement of the "laptop cells"

High quality cells:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=48074
I've been communicating back and forth with an eBay seller who has a big selection of brand new power tool cells. Apparently they spot weld your packs [18650] for free. I was interested in this cell but wanted to see some discharge graphs. Fortunately for us a member of the budget light forum tested these and gave me permission to share here.

I ordered 15 4P bricks and asked the eBay seller to send me pics of the spot welds and they do a pretty good job.

I believe these are NCA according to the Samsung SDI page....

Do you need lipo? There are other chemistry that might fit better for you.

Look at enderdel. It is more expensive but IMO you will be better off because of the higher cycle count and stable chemistry. And it is enderdel not HobbyKing.

Google enderel and it should come up if you are ordering in the states.

Edit: here is the place you can try:
http://evolveelectrics.com/Enerdel.html?gclid=CJfK_-ObwLsCFYN_QgodMQIAig

I never purchased from them so you can give us some feedback when you try them.

Just to clarify, I will order other stuff from the HK china warehouse. But batteries must come from the USA warehouse.

I keep the packages small, and they seem to come with less damage to the box at least. They get no money from me till the first box comes, and the mailman doesn't give me stink eye about the smaller box.

I can't afford any more big stock ups, so it works for the small amounts I can buy these days.

kiwipete said:
Yeah, interesting to hear dogman say he'd never buy from the china warehouse again. Unfortunately thats what I'm stuck with. If I could order from either the US or AU warehouse I'd give it another shot, but the website forces me to use the international/chinese one. :-(
Uou could ask around the forem for some east coast lads to forward you the cells from the aus warehouse... Id offer but im in sa so even more extra postage. Would prob have to be couriered or shipped across the ditch.

Back