Bikes that are Compatible with a BBSHD

Great suggestions, keep them coming guys, we're actually starting to get a bit of a list.

Noticed that a few people have been creating topics with similar discussions to this one. Can the powers that be make this a sticky so all the info ends up in one place?

Cheers

BenTMS

I have just fitted a Luna cycle BBSHD kit to the bike. It's turned out really well.

It's fitted with the aluminium chain ring

And the 52volt mighty mini in the rear.

bentms said:
Lovely conversion Rodney, looks really cool!!!!

Do you know the year/make/model so I can add it to the list

I can see Ellsworth Truth but a little google search shows there's an absolute truth and a few variations, would be great to pinpoint the year as well

Thanks

Ben

Ben

Thanks and yes it's an Ellsworth Truth, when I purchased this bike a couple of months back it had been just rebuilt, and from memory it's a 2009 frame. Well this is what's sticking in my mind. The patent numbers are 2006 with one being EP 1058642. But one distinct feature of this bike is the rear triangle its not square, the bottom chain stay on the rights lower. I'm not sure if this was for more that one year. This frame had the standard 68mm bottom bracket and there was not issues with its install. No mods were needed for it to fit.

This is the photo, I've marked the areas where the frames not symmetrical.

Lovely conversion Rodney, looks really cool!!!!

Do you know the year/make/model so I can add it to the list

I can see Ellsworth Truth but a little google search shows there's an absolute truth and a few variations, would be great to pinpoint the year as well

Thanks

Ben

The 3 most comfortable, perfect chainline 7 speeds. Electra Townie, Trek Pure, and KHS Manhattan Smoothie. OEM Brakes upgraded to Koolstop pads, with hydraulic sensors rather than Bafang levers, will even stop the BBSHD effectively. $399-$500.
Maxxis Hookworms, a nice touch.

san andrea.jpg

I wonder if the San Andreas frame would be a good candidate for the HD1000. I see Matt has a new project he is starting with one of these older style frames that will have his special touches on. When I saw Matt's new thread I thought this frame may also work well with the HD1000.Because the fabricated downtube has a very steep angle to it at the BB area this would let you swing the whole motor assembly up so it doesn't hang down so close to the ground.

waynebergman said:

I wonder if the San Andreas frame would be a good candidate for the HD1000. I see Matt has a new project he is starting with one of these older style frames that will have his special touches on. When I saw Matt's new thread I thought this frame may also work well with the HD1000.Because the fabricated downtube has a very steep angle to it at the BB area this would let you swing the whole motor assembly up so it doesn't hang down so close to the ground.

spotted that frame for sale too. I've been looking for a San Andrea's for a while. Sadly that bloke wont ship it to Australia =(

JayCee said:
Actually, you're just a hack that would build something dangerous and prone to failure. BBS01s and BBS02s DO work on 68s, BBSHDs do not, so you're arguing in a vacuum. No, you can't just have a 5mm misalignment on the motor mounting plate. No, you can't just bend the 'tabs'. You're being ignorant as well as obstinate.
No bent tabs. And only a one build wonder would be so self absorbed to think 5mm would be a problem. But thanks for the laughs. It breaks up the day.
Just another idiot for CS guys to trade tales about.

I installed a 120mm BBSHD kit onto a street cruiser that has a 100mm BB-shell width. It seems to be working fine. I achieve 30-MPH regularly, and it feels completely safe. I would have preferred a 24mm thick solid aluminum spacer, but I settled for a stack of thin spacer-rings.

Since its a beach cruiser, I don't stand on the pedals. I use the thumb throttle to start for a second or so...and then I convert to PAS once rolling. It's always better to buy a frame and kit that are verified ahead of time to fit well together, so...do some homework before spending big bucks...

tomjasz said:
The 3 most comfortable, perfect chainline 7 speeds. Electra Townie, Trek Pure, and KHS Townie. OEM Brakes upgraded to Koolstop pads, with hydraulic sensors rather than Bafang levers, will even stop the BBSHD effectively. $399-$500.

Hi Tomjasz,

Can you elaborate on the precise models/years so that I can add them to the list.

Thanks so much for the info

Ben

Rodney64 said:
Thanks and yes it's an Ellsworth Truth, when I purchased this bike a couple of months back it had been just rebuilt, and from memory it's a 2009 frame. Well this is what's sticking in my mind. The patent numbers are 2006 with one being EP 1058642. But one distinct feature of this bike is the rear triangle its not square, the bottom chain stay on the rights lower. I'm not sure if this was for more that one year. This frame had the standard 68mm bottom bracket and there was not issues with its install. No mods were needed for it to fit.

Brilliant thanks for taking the time to send us the info,

Putting it on the list now

Ben

bentms said:
tomjasz said:
The 3 most comfortable, perfect chainline 7 speeds. Electra Townie, Trek Pure, and KHS Townie. OEM Brakes upgraded to Koolstop pads, with hydraulic sensors rather than Bafang levers, will even stop the BBSHD effectively. $399-$500.

Hi Tomjasz,

Can you elaborate on the precise models/years so that I can add them to the list.

Thanks so much for the info

Ben

All Electra Townie 7 spd and IGH, Haven't seen a bad one yet. 68MM BB did one from 2002, 2008, and 2015.

All KHS Manhattan Smoothies 7spd 68MM BB. 2016 price drop, frame still up to snuff, still 3 sizes but brake quality diminished. Cheapest Shimano derailleur I've ever seen. Bought a step through anyway and will upgrade derailleur some day. Crank is crap as well but no effect. Still a well made Aluminum frame and the larges frame great for those over 6' tall. As far as I know no one else offers 3 frame sizes in a crank forward.

All Trek Pure 7spd (some IGH Versions have coaster brakes, AVOID, now easy path to adding read brakes to frame. Version without coaster brakes have good chainline) 73MM BB

The Electra and KHS need the extra tall double leg Crowcycle center stand. The Trek Pure can use the regular height. Larger than 42T chainwheel will create chain rub on center stand

KHS Smoothie will JUST fit Maxxis Hookworms. Rear racks on Smoothie needs a new seat clamp mount and EXTRA LONG 15" brackets.

The Trek pure frame it a couple of inches lower. To me the most comfortable of all frames.

Falcon EV triangle bag best made and best fit followed by Electric Rider. Forget the rest.

One item in the Trek Pures favor is...it comes stock at the same price as the Townie, but it also has a front suspension fork.

In order to get a front disc brake, you would have to buy another wheel that had the disc mount, then add the disc, caliper, and cable/lever, but...at least you don't have to swap-out the fork. The entire upgrade would be a bolt-on.

A suspension fork isn't as much benefit on a feet forward bike as it is on an MTB, because the weight bias is so strongly to the rear of a feet forward bike.

Chalo said:
A suspension fork isn't as much benefit on a feet forward bike as it is on an MTB, because the weight bias is so strongly to the rear of a feet forward bike.
Having now ridden an Electra townie with suspension, I concur. A waste of $$. My Hookworms were a better upgrade for ride comfort.

Can I assume if a BBS02 fits, than a BBSHD will fit? I have a Specialized FSR Max Backbone and the BBS02 fits no problem. There is plenty of clearance from the swing arm chain stay. I'm wondering if I'm safe to upgrade to a BBSHD.

StinkyGoalieGuy said:
Can I assume if a BBS02 fits, than a BBSHD will fit? I have a Specialized FSR Max Backbone and the BBS02 fits no problem. There is plenty of clearance from the swing arm chain stay. I'm wondering if I'm safe to upgrade to a BBSHD.
Yes, the 68mm-73mm kit BBSHD will fit. The good news is everything else is the same. You can buy a standalone motor and not a whole kit at a discount. Motor and controller only http://lunacycle.com/motors-and-kits/mid-drive-kits/bafang-bbshd-bare-bones-motor-and-controller-only/ $500

tomjasz said:
StinkyGoalieGuy said:
Yes, the 68mm-73mm kit BBSHD will fit. The good news is everything else is the same. You can buy a standalone motor and not a whole kit at a discount. Motor and controller only http://lunacycle.com/motors-and-kits/mid-drive-kits/bafang-bbshd-bare-bones-motor-and-controller-only/ $500

That's what I'm looking at. Thanks for the confirmation.

I didn't check to see if a doula is included. The old C961 will limit speed unless you change the wheel size and then it'll be wonky as a speedometer.
C965 is most waterproof and trouble free IME and IMO.

2005 Specialized Comp Disc FSR 26" Wheels - Large Frame
Bafang BBSHD Motor Kit From Luna Cycle
52V 11.5ah PF Panasonic Pack
Specialized Comp Discsmall.jpg

FolsomRider said:
2005 Specialized Comp Disc FSR 26" Wheels - Large Frame
Bafang BBSHD Motor Kit From Luna Cycle
52V 11.5ah PF Panasonic Pack
View attachment 2

Very nice, near perfect setup (just need to tuck those wires :p).

2016 Motobecane HAL5 Full Suspension 73mm BB
Luna Cycles Mighty Mini 51v GA Cells
BBSHD from Luna Cycles

image_2049_md.jpg

2015 Fuji Nevada Hardtail 73mm BB
BBS02
after.jpg

Very nice, near perfect setup (just need to tuck those wires :p).

Thanks. Yes for sure on dressing the cables. I have 2 nylon straps to further secure the battery and also secure and hide the cables. The battery comes with me when i lock it up somewhere so the pic is in that state.

Nice rig you got going there!

FR

Hey guys,

I started today to compile a list of build reports of the bbshd or bbs02 with a simple picture of the bike and link to the build.

The thing about these installs is almost all of them have their nuances so i recommend to newcomers that they base their build on a bike where someone has documented a build report.

I am compiling all bikes that have had build reports that i can find here as resource for the DIY community.

http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/builds/ebike-building-directions/14811-list-of-bikes-with-build-threads-known-to-be-bbshd-or-bbs02-compatible-pictorial

I have a bike to add to the list:

KHS Manhattan Flyer (Men's 19 inch) w/ Lunacycle's BBS02 & 48v Carbon Shark battery:

IMG_0027_zps3d67wskc.jpg

Complete build log here:

http://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ections/15703-manhattan-cruiser-s-flyer-bbs02

This took a little more than the average as you need to use an American to Euro adapter, but in the end, it makes for a more snug and solid fit since I removed the lip of the adapter where the motor bracket contacts the BB, (which acts also as a "torque arm which is now custom fit into the BB adapter giving even more support to keep the bracket from turning) making a "hand in glove" tight fit.

IMG_0028_zpszwae9n0k.jpg

IMG_0031_zpsbt89iako.jpg

If you go with the BBSHD, you also have the option of going with a wider BB size and use spacers, however, IMHO, when installing on a American to Euro BB adapter, the spacers you would need between the lip of the adapter and the mounting bracket would be a much less solid fit.

Better to slightly modify your BB/adapter to get a more solid fit as shown here by Karl of ElectricBike-Blog.com

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/...xes-for-non-standard-bb-intrusive-chainstays/

img_8700.jpg

Back