• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Bolt in the road went through my tire AND WHEEL. Trash it?

eSurfer

100 W
Freak accident: Riding on the side of the highway this afternoon, a loose bolt in the road punctured my rear tire and before I could get to a stop, went right through my wheel too. The one with the motor.

1. I would like to try to save the wheel, but I'm worried that it's a lost cause. Just get a new one, right?
2. It's a Golden Motor Magic Pie, should I just get another of those?
3. Would something like this work? http://www.amazon.com/AW-Electric-Bicycle-Conversion-Controller/dp/B00YBWAINC/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1461121043&sr=1-2&keywords=electric+bike+kit
4. What would you who know more than me suggest I do?

The bolt sticking through the wheel is right next to the valve stem. Pic is bad, but you can just make out the bolt.
IMG_1251.JPGIMG_1252.JPG

If you are reasonably happy with the old motor, just get a new (identical) rim and relace the motor into it. If you haven't done that before, it's kind of fun. Study the way the old wheel is laced before you take it apart. Some never reuse old spokes, but I've never had trouble doing that.

Good luck with however you choose to repair it. :D

You could replace the rim....or not replace the rim....depending.

Do this....Remove the tire and check the full extent of the rim damage. If it is a small enough hole then just replace the rim liner. I usually use 2 rim liners for safety against impact punctures.

Take it apart and post pictures of the damage. Let us see what you have to work with.

Edit: Make sure the pictures are in focus so we can see what you have.

:D

Well, look at it this way,, the rim has 37 holes in it. The extra hole for the stem doesn't weaken it enough to be a problem.

Look at the damage, you may be able to drill it out into a clean hole. Then ride on. If the hole is ragged and cracked, then the crack may lengthen when you ride it.

Crap like that in the road drives me nuts. Twice I had tires with less than 5 miles on them ruined that way. Always of course, the rear motor wheel tire. The front wheel tips it up, then the back wheel hits it. Blammo.

dogman dan said:
Well, look at it this way,, the rim has 37 holes in it. The extra hole for the stem doesn't weaken it enough to be a problem.

Look at the damage, you may be able to drill it out into a clean hole. Then ride on. If the hole is ragged and cracked, then the crack may lengthen when you ride it.

Crap like that in the road drives me nuts. Twice I had tires with less than 5 miles on them ruined that way. Always of course, the rear motor wheel tire. The front wheel tips it up, then the back wheel hits it. Blammo.

Ahhh, that makes sense. So maybe not such a freakish thing then. Thanks so much, DD. I'm going to try your suggestion of cleaning out the hole and fixing it. Way less expensive.

Looks like the bolt got away from this guy:
Nocountryforoldmen2.jpg

Golden Motor typically use a double wall aluminum 30mm deep 'V' rim. Golden Motor Canada should be able to get you a new replacement however almost any 26 inch generic rim the same width and depth would work without having to replace the spokes and nipples.

http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/Golden-Motor-26-Inch-Rim.html

The wheel is resurrected!!! I followed Dogman Dan's advice and drilled out the hole to make it smooth and less likely to crack. Smoothed everything out with a fine grinder on my Dremmel. Then I applied adhesive and put a tire patch in the inside of the rim covering the spot where the hole is. Next, I patched the hole in the tire from the inside, using the same patch kit. Replaced the tube. Put it all back together again and rode it to work this morning; no problem!

Thanks, Dogman!

Back