Building 1500-3000 watt 48v+ bike

gkyle840

1 µW
I currently have a co-op DRT 1.1 bike that I would like to add a rear hub onto. I will mainly be using this bike on the road and local trails going between 5 and 30mph. I would however like it to be capable of going 40mph for short periods of time when needed.

I am looking for a direct drive rear hub capable of this that will run on a 48-52 volt battery. What are some good and reasonably priced companies to look at?

https://leafbike.com/products/diy-bike-conversion-kit/275-inch-48v-52v-1500w-rear-electric-hub-motor-kit-1184.html

Seems like a nice bike and this should fit, but don't rush in just yet. There's increasing talk of these 40-45a peak controllers not holding up on the 1500w motors. A few people have mentioned pulling the failed controller apart and feeling the components have gone downhill. So you might think about a bigger controller.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001047029643.html

I'm happy with my leaf kit but have nothing to compare it to tbf.

I'm looking into a QS205 for the next build. Not because the leaf is shit. Just something different

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

If you're just plain asking what to do, you're not ready for QS. I was struggling sorting out an order when the slowdown hit, time to wait, while I DID have some idea what I'd want.

gkyle840 said:
I currently have a co-op DRT 1.1 bike that I would like to add a rear hub onto. I will mainly be using this bike on the road and local trails going between 5 and 30mph. I would however like it to be capable of going 40mph for short periods of time when needed.

I am looking for a direct drive rear hub capable of this that will run on a 48-52 volt battery. What are some good and reasonably priced companies to look at?

An entry level bike like yours isn’t good for 40mph. It’s a real bike, but it is doing all it was designed and built to do when it’s propelled by one human power. Even 30mph is asking a lot from cheap basic components, when you go that fast more than once in a while. And you’ll need an actual 3000W of motor output to easily reach 40mph on level pavement, which is a lot heavier and more expensive for motor, controller, and battery than 1500W.

Leaf Bike makes a very good 1500W motor for the money, and they offer different RPM versions by request. With your bike’s wheel diameter, a 6 turn motor would get you up to about 30mph on 48 volts.

I am looking at a leaf kit currently. It seems to be about what I am looking for although I was hoping for a little more than 1500 watts.
I also looked at a 2000w kit from calibikes that I really liked but unfortunately they didn't have it on a 27.5" wheel, only 26 and 29.

Balmorhea said:
gkyle840 said:
I will mainly be using this bike on the road and local trails going between 5 and 30mph. I would however like it to be capable of going 40mph for short periods of time when needed.
And you’ll need an actual 3000W of motor output to easily reach 40mph on level pavement, which is a lot heavier and more expensive for motor, controller, and battery than 1500W.

If the goal is to mostly go 30 and sometimes go 40, 2kw is enough for that. It won't get you there as quickly as 3kw, but it will get you there and maintain the speed.

At least I don't have any problems going 40 on my gmac 8t at 2kw. Well, no problems but overheating the motor if I keep it up to long. Which shouldn't be a problem for the leaf.

Would the leaf be too much unsprung weight to be enjoyable off road? Might depend on your rear shock quality.

gkyle840 said:
I am looking at a leaf kit currently. It seems to be about what I am looking for although I was hoping for a little more than 1500 watts.

If you stay in its most efficient speed range, it can take more than 1500W. But the consequences are yours if you cook it because you didn't respect the power rating.

That's 1500W output, by the way, on 1750-2000W power in.

Any hub motor with a higher power rating will be heavier and more expensive than Leaf.

Back