Building first Ebike

wesnewell said:
It takes ~21wh per mile at 20 mph. so that's 633wh for 30 miles. on level ground, no wind. 20ah of 48V is 960wh and should be more than enough in all but the worst conditions, in which case you might need to slow down to 18-19 mph. At 30mph, you'll need double the battery size. Cutting wind drag can increase range considerably. Just riding in a tuck position will increase range by 30%.

On the commute to work the speed will between 20-25mph or even slower as I still want to peddle.
I want the top speed just for the hell of it.

Buying everything from luna cycles it will only cost 1181

The reason I want to do this is parking, If I Drive and take the T it takes $360 a month to get to work with a 1:45 commute. If I drive and park in the city its close to $700 a month so biking is a massive saving. With a bike I don't have to pay parking and at 20mph i can make it there in half hour.

Don't want to ride a motorcycle because I still have to pay the same parking and tolls and it will probably get stolen. My job has a little building to store bicycles and its indoors and security is all over it.

Just depends on what you want to spend. You can find 48V 1000W kits for ~$250. A new 26" bike for ~$150. I just bought 888wh of rc lipo batteries for $217 shipped from HK, That's ~$600 for everything needed but a charger, which I already have. I've got 15K miles on my kit now. As long as you're no more than 15 or so miles from work an ebike is an excellent solution.

Wow you are getting 45 miles of range on a 10ah cell.
I may just get this http://lunacycle.com/hub-motor-kits/ebike-kit-1000-watt-waterproof-connectors-hub-motor-conversion/

Luna is here in the US so shipping is super cheap, secured and fast. I just have to check with him because I don't want the controller or the LCD that comes with this kit. I want to use the cycle analyst and the 12fet controller he list on his site.

Should be pretty good for a first kit.

My 10ah pack is 88.8V, so 888wh. a 10ah 48V pack is only 480wh. AH is relative to voltage. WH is absolute. What you buy is up to you. Just don't expect it to be any better than a kit that cost a lot less and has free shipping in the US. They all get the kits from the same places. these all have free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=48v1000w%20rear&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&LH_FS=1

wesnewell said:
My 10ah pack is 88.8V, so 888wh. a 10ah 48V pack is only 480wh. AH is relative to voltage. WH is absolute. What you buy is up to you. Just don't expect it to be any better than a kit that cost a lot less and has free shipping in the US. They all get the kits from the same places. these all have free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=48v1000w%20rear&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&LH_FS=1

The battery I am looking at is listed as 1100 watt hours but I know that a 100 percent charge is not healthy for the cell. So 80/90 percent of that will be enough to comfortably make the commute.

100 percent charge is fine for lion batteries. But storing them at 100% reduces their lifespan. Invest in a decent high rate charger since you likely will later anyway. Then you can charge before you go out instead of always keeping it charged.

Not sure if anyone has asked yet but can you charge at work? Batteries are heavy and expensive. If you can charge halfway though the day then you only need half the battery

Grizzl-E said:
100 percent charge is fine for lion batteries. But storing them at 100% reduces their lifespan. Invest in a decent high rate charger since you likely will later anyway. Then you can charge before you go out instead of always keeping it charged.

Not sure if anyone has asked yet but can you charge at work? Batteries are heavy and expensive. If you can charge halfway though the day then you only need half the battery

The little building is separated from our office building and there are no power plugs. I also don't think they would like to have a battery charging away unattended anyway. I have a pretty big budget for this so I don't mind paying a grand or so for a battery but Luna does have a battery for about 500 dollars that should work fine, the one I mentioned above.

Also if you really want to do backwoods an 8t geared mac will serve you much better that a 1500w ish direct drive. DD's don't have as much torque at that level and you will be underwhelmed off-roading with that little power.

Someone else can chime in but I find dd motors for off-roading starts around 3-4kw.

markz said:
mid dirve is where its at.

Yea, and why I was looking at the lighting kit at first.

Looking at the installs and some build threads its looks like a massive pain to install and then require more maintenance than a hub.
I was looking at the lightning rod small block kit, but for my first ebike build I would rather do something simpler. Since I have little riding time on a ebike (like 15 minutes) I would like to get to riding as fast as possible then spend a lot of time wrenching.

I will be pushing whatever kit I get past its rated wattage to around 2000 watts or 2500 and this is why I don't want to use the controller and some components that come in the kits.
I have read that Mac motors don't last above 25mph and why I been looking at DD hubs. However I have no first hand experience, its just what I collected reading various sites/threads as I research.

The Bafang mid drives are easy to install, but I killed mine commuting at 3,500 kms. It's now back in China being reconditioned. It was neat while it worked and great that the controller is integrated into the motor unit rather than having another separate thing to strap to the bike.

However, my next bike will be DD to avoid reliability issues.

We have similar speed requirements. I am considering a leafmotor, debating whether to use 1000w or 1500w. Also considering Mini-E adaptto controller/bms/display. I kinda doubt you really need that level of power for commuting purposes...

Yes, others will say there are cheaper ways to do it. I want to go this way because it's simple and seems to work well for others. Still need to confirm the leaf motor with adaptto is 100% compatible (pretty sure it is) as there were issues with the crown motors with adapttos.

I already have a shedload of 25r cells to build a decent battery with.. just need the Flux Beta frames to be available now!

What are the mounting options for this type of frame

00x0x_1WkRCcog8dG_600x450_zpsk20pgqdh.jpg

Finding out about the BBSHD 1000 pretty much threw a wrench in my plans.

It seems to do everything I want i to do.
Its plug and play, will do 30 plus and will give me the range.

I placed an order with Luna Cycle with the BBSHD 1kW, TRIANGLE 52v Samsung 26f 20ah battery, and some accessories.
I have seen the 750w kit running at 1300watts..... So I am hoping the 1kw kit can be pushed well above 2kw.

If it cant I dont really care but the battery will be big enough to support it.

I just need to get a bike now
I do have a white genesis with the coil spring but I don't think the battery will fit in it.

This thread is old but I am going to bring it back from the dead. I ended up buying the Luna 750 bafang with their 20ah 52 volt battery. Got a good bike from the bike shop and managed to hit my goal of 35mph or so and able to climb any hill and tons of range. It was a blast in the woods and reminded me of trail riding on quads.

However, I had the bike for 1 week before some guy crossed double yellows, made an illegal turn and plowed into me while I was crossing a crosswalk. I almost died, had internal bleeding, broke my leg, arm, collapse lungs, broken ribs , shoulder, shoulder blade collar bone and had to get an organ removed and some issue with my liver. I am not sure what it was but I spent like 6 months with constant test because my levels were really bad. It was almost a compound fracture and to add insult to injury I had broken this leg twice before and have tons of hardware on this leg. Doctors had to do a lot of work to fix it and it was pretty scary waking up in the hospital with scaffolding sticking out of my leg. Multiple surgeries, rehab, learning how to walk, all that jazz. My head went right through the windshield but I bought a professional full face DH bike helmet days before this accident.

Its been a long road but I am trying to get back to my old self and not be afraid of all the stuff that made me happy.

So I am rebuilding the bike. The bafang motor was destroyed but the battery survived, it was about 80 percent charged when I got hit and its been sitting in a closet for like 4 years. It is a Luna 52v 20ah Samsung 25R battery and it appears to charge fine.

Is it safe to still use this battery?

I am thinking of pairing it with a BBSHD, possibly on a fat bike. This time I will not be using it on the road, its just to dangerous these days. I will stay in the trails because I don't want to go through this again. This was the second time I had to learn how to walk again and the 3rd time breaking bones.

cev said:
Its been a long road but I am trying to get back to my old self and not be afraid of all the stuff that made me happy.

Good for you. There's always some apprehension when it comes to getting back on the horse, but once you're back on, it feels great. Glad you made it through and that you had the good luck and sense of buying that helmet :? It only has to save your life once to become a believer.

Hi cev,

Congratulations to you for recovering from that horriific accident. Puts all this chit chat about which bike, which motor, etc into perspective. May you get stronger yet!

As for the battery, it was original 20AH? My guess is that it can likely deliver 16-18 Ah still, and that's still a lot. If you get more, it's a bonus. No data to support that, but I also have a 52V Luna battery from 2015. It was originally rated 10.5 Ah, and lightly used. I checked it last year and I figured it for around 9Ah.

Thanks Doc, The battery has maybe 3 charges on it before it went to storage and it was not stored fully charged. I will hold onto this one and see how it performs. Also, since I wont be commuting or using this on the road I don't need the range.

I went through my old order on Luna website and I actually had the BBSHD back then not the BBS02. I had a programming cable and remember increasing it power output to what was recommended to be the maximum. So I know what to expect

Everything has been ordered including the bike from Framed. I am picking up a multimeter tonight measure the voltage on the battery.

When the charger is plugged in everything starts fine but since it hasn't been used since 2015 I have my worries of it blowing up in my face. It's only charged for a few minutes to see if the charger responds. With that said if the voltages are too low I will probably just get rid of it and not take the risk.

The battery voltage was 51.3 volts before the first extended charge coming out of storage. It charged for about 3 hours before I unplugged because it seemed too excessive. Voltage is at 58.9 volts when unplugged.

The charger is 58.8v and 5 amps but it actually never showed the green light for charged.

I don't recall what max voltage was before when fully charged but I figured it would stop at 58.8v

cev said:
The battery voltage was 51.3 volts before the first extended charge coming out of storage. It charged for about 3 hours before I unplugged because it seemed too excessive. Voltage is at 58.9 volts when unplugged.

The charger is 58.8v and 5 amps but it actually never showed the green light for charged.

I don't recall what max voltage was before when fully charged but I figured it would stop at 58.8v

Hmmm ... if the charger only outputs 58.8 volts, how can the battery pack get to 58.9 volts? Are you measuring with the same meter?

I didn't measure the charger just the battery as I was just going by the label . I bought a new charger from Luna cycle but i haven't replace the connectors on the battery to match to use it yet

The bike is built though and I have been riding it around. Knock in wood everything is holding up well.

Back