[Calling all experts!] BBSHD: error30 "immediatly" occurred after I wrongly connected "2-pin" brake sensor expected 3-pin.

gitmerge

1 µW
An error 30 suddenly occurred on my BBSHD 1000w right after I connected a new brake sensor that has a 2-pin connector, lacking a ground pin, and then activated the sensor. Normally, the brake sensor requires a 3-pin connector, including a ground pin.

• Fact: 0% battery displayed after restart the bike
  • Confirmed: Batter itself has no problem. (i have another same bike)
  • Fact: I was trying to replace my brake(sensor) so natually new brake sensor connection was happened. (2pin - not standard)
  • Fact: the error appeared "immediately" after I press the sensor switch for testing(but with the wrong connection with wrong +/- pin
  • Fact: My bike was as always normal status. of course worked well right before "the action"
  • Confirmed: Cable connectivity has no problem (never touched since my Bike worked right before the trouble.)
  • Confirmed: Display(Computer) has no software side problem (if I connect my another same bike's display, it displays same (error 30))

According the facts, So I think it's definitely NOT the external("wiring or physical") problem. This is because the error appeared "immediately" after I press the sensor switch for testing( but with the wrong connection with wrong +/- pin ). Not something from "broken or disconnected" as the condition of my bike was always best.

So I'm asking if anyone has experienced a similar situation. It seems to have been caused by some kind of "electronic" shock.
is it possible that the "electronic" damage was happened inside of controller or wherever?
then i would consider to replace my controller ...

i think this community is only helper for my case as it's hard to search same case in youtube or google... I believe the strength of crowd knowledge please thank you.,

Thank you engineers.

Last edited:
Those "three pin" plugs are a fakeout -- they only use two of the conductors since 99% of ebike brakes are just open/close switches. I would suspect, more so, that you just got the wiring wrong so it's unhappy.

An error 30 suddenly occurred on my BBSHD 1000w after I connected a new brake sensor that has a 2-pin connector, lacking a ground pin, and then activated the sensor. Normally, the brake sensor requires a 3-pin connector, including a ground pin.

I suspect this is due to an electrical short. Should I replace the controller, or is there another solution?

Until now, I've had zero problems while riding my bike for many years.

Thank you engineers.

The most likely thing since 30 is a comm error between display and controller, IIRC, is that during the work the cable from the display to controller was moved, disconnected, etc., and has simply come partly unplugged, or has a broken wire somewhere between the two units, or a bent pin/etc if the connector was unplugged/replugged.

The most likely thing since 30 is a comm error between display and controller, IIRC, is that during the work the cable from the display to controller was moved, disconnected, etc., and has simply come partly unplugged, or has a broken wire somewhere between the two units, or a bent pin/etc if the connector was unplugged/replugged.
Thanks for replying. I understand what error 30 means, but I think it's not a "wiring or physical" issue. This is because the error appeared "immediately" after I press the sensor switch for testing( but with the wrong connection with wrong +/- pin ). Not something from "broken or disconnected" as the condition of my bike was always best. Then, the display showed the error. So I'm asking if anyone has experienced a similar situation. It seems to have been caused by some kind of "electronic" shock.

sois it possible? that the "electronic" damage was happened inside of controller or wherever?
then i would consider to replace my controller ...

i think this community is only helper for my case as it's hard to search same case in youtube or google... please thank you.,

I understand what error 30 means, but I think it's not a "wiring or physical" issue. This is because the error appeared "immediately" after I press the sensor switch for testing( but with the wrong connection with wrong +/- pin ). Not something from "broken or disconnected" as the condition of my bike was always best. Then, the display showed the error. So I'm asking if anyone has experienced a similar situation. It seems to have been caused by some kind of "electronic" shock.

What voltages were present on each pin of your brake connector of the controller, normally, before connecting up the brake switch?

What voltages are present now?

What voltages are present on the throttle connnector?

I ask because if the controller brake connector actually has 5v and ground as well as signal input, and the brake sensor was wired such that when activated it shorts 5v to ground, instead of signal to ground, it could have damaged the controller's 5v regulator. In this case there won't be 5v on the throttle or brake connectors anymore (there may be *some* voltage), and the controller's brain won't be powered up (it's dependent on this 5v, too), so it can't talk to the display, and you'd get comm error.

If it's just a 5v regulator failure, it may be easily fixed by replacing the 5v regulator itself, usually an LM7805 of some type (some use more complex regulators, that would be harder to fix).

Replacing the controller would also fix such an error, but if you don't replace it with the same model (including same firmware version, etc), it may not work with your display. If you get a different brand of controller, replacing both display and controller with a "kit" or "set" that come together should guarantee that they will work together.

fetch

If you ask for trouble by installing devices that are designed for the sole purpose of disabling your system, you just might get what you asked for.

Hopefully you now understand how useless those things are.

The brake sensor has +5v, signal and ground. If you accidentally short the +5v to ground, it could take out the 5v supply regulator.
You could try measuring the voltage on the pins to see if the 5v is still there or not. If the regulator is blown, you probably need to replace the controller board since everything is potted.

The above image shows the problem. By using a 2 pin connector 6 was connected to 8 when the brake lever was pulled, shorting the 5v supply to ground which would have blown the 5v regulator inside the controller.

Back