Can I swap out my rear hub motor w/out changing the components?

Belch

1 mW
I have an MXUS 48 volt rear hub motor on a 20 inch rim with a failed clutch.
I think the MXUS is cheap junk.
Can I get another high quality rear hub motor that will work with my existing components?
If so where would I look?
Thanks

Since we don't know what your existing components are, or what bike they are mounted on, etc., then a wild guess for the first question would be "maybe". ;)

You'll need to be specific about all of what you have and what it has to fit on. I also recommend posting pictures of motor-controller connectors if you're also looking to match those and probably not have to do as much rewiring.

If you also list the job it has to do for you and the riding conditions it has to do it under, it will help us help you pick something that should be more able to do this reliably.

If you have any limitations, budget restrictions, brands/types/etc that you don't want or won't use, list those as well so we don't waste time recommending anything that falls under those.

If the clutch failed such that powered motion works and just unpowered is stiff, the controllers by Grin Technologies have an option called "virtual electronic freewheeling" that might help. They actually have YouTube videos of welding clutches and sell the only geared hub without one themselves, since that allows regenerative braking with a geared hub, something not usually possible.

If the clutch failed such that powered motion works and just unpowered is stiff, the controllers by Grin Technologies have an option called "virtual electronic freewheeling" that might help. They actually have YouTube videos of welding clutches and sell the only geared hub without one themselves, since that allows regenerative braking with a geared hub, something not usually possible.
I am not sure I understand what you're saying here. Can you put in laymans terms? Thanks

Since we don't know what your existing components are, or what bike they are mounted on, etc., then a wild guess for the first question would be "maybe". ;)

You'll need to be specific about all of what you have and what it has to fit on. I also recommend posting pictures of motor-controller connectors if you're also looking to match those and probably not have to do as much rewiring.

If you also list the job it has to do for you and the riding conditions it has to do it under, it will help us help you pick something that should be more able to do this reliably.

If you have any limitations, budget restrictions, brands/types/etc that you don't want or won't use, list those as well so we don't waste time recommending anything that falls under those.
I have a Trident Stowaway 2 2012 model for short rides 5 miles on concrete paths. I already spent 400 on the kit so 200 more for another 20 inch wheel is all I want to have to pay. Not sure if that is realistic or how long a 200 dollar motorized wheel would last.

Attachments

• Controller connections .jpg
    Controller connections .jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • Controller.jpg
    Controller.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I am not sure I understand what you're saying here. Can you put in laymans terms? Thanks
You need a Grin Tech controller to take advantage of this, so you likely don't own one at the price point you are at. The video mentioned is still helpful, since it goes through disassembly, removal, and replacing the clutch, among other things.

Maybe.. but the effort to do the repair is that easy? Where do I get the parts? Thanks
You need the specific model, but you can get parts, and there are several videos on doing the replacement/repair. Half the work is removing your wheel from the bike, and you're doing that anyway.

I have a Trident Stowaway 2 2012 model for short rides 5 miles on concrete paths. I already spent 400 on the kit so 200 more for another 20 inch wheel is all I want to have to pay. Not sure if that is realistic or how long a 200 dollar motorized wheel would last.

Gear motors will have maintenance, like the clutch or gears, over time. A direct drive motor with go until the bearings need replacement, so maybe 10k miles? My $160 MXUS had several thousand miles before I replaced it, but it will go into a future project since there's nothing wrong with it.

You need a Grin Tech controller to take advantage of this, so you likely don't own one at the price point you are at. The video mentioned is still helpful, since it goes through disassembly, removal, and replacing the clutch, among other things.

You need the specific model, but you can get parts, and there are several videos on doing the replacement/repair. Half the work is removing your wheel from the bike, and you're doing that anyway.

Gear motors will have maintenance, like the clutch or gears, over time. A direct drive motor with go until the bearings need replacement, so maybe 10k miles? My $160 MXUS had several thousand miles before I replaced it, but it will go into a future project since there's nothing wrong with it.
Thanks
What direct drive motors with 20 inch rims do you like?

Back