can't remove freewheel

izeman

1 GW
i installed a former 7(?)speed freewheel on my hs3540.
former 7speed, because, it took off all gears, but the smallest one to make it a single speed.
screwed it one, but now i have to remove it, but can't get it off. i bought a shimano remover, like this on
60748-1.jpg

but i can't remove it. i just doesn't grip. the inside of the freewheel looks (somehow) like that:
freewheel.jpg

what tool do i need to remove it? thanks!

Ypedal said:
http://www.e-bikekit.com/shop/catalog/E_Bike_Tools-23-1.html

you need a freewheel tool with an enlarged center to fit over the axle.
thanks. the picture i posted was an example. i removed the handle and made a bigger hole with a plasma cutter. so it does fit over the axle. but still it doesn't grip the 3 little noses. i can't say what it looks like exactly, as the motor is mounted on the bike right now.
do those freewheels looks different? i mean: do some of them have more/different noses inside?

izeman said:
website selling those says: may require deep spline, thin wall freewheel tool for removal
whatever this means :)

maybe they want to tell you to buy such a tool for removing the freewheel. :)
TL4620.jpg

das
images

dürft' auch passen, und das gibts hier

nearly matches your nick :mrgreen:

btw, when i had to remove the freewheel from the magic pie, i took off the side cover of the motor with the freewheel.
the axle was no longer in the way.
then cut a piece of sheet metal to fit into the slots and you can screw it off.

(only if you're in a hurry, i was, it happened on a weekend.)

izeman said:
do those freewheels looks different? i mean: do some of them have more/different noses inside?

Yes. Freewheels use different tools / splines to the cassetts and different manufacturer's used different splines also. http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/cassette-and-freewheel-removal

The tools made for 1/2" square drive are generally big enough to fit over a motor axle, unlike most tools that are designed for use with a wrench, which tend to have a smaller hole for the std bicycle axle.

Back