Charge cell phone battery

marty

1 MW
History,
Samsung Galaxy S4 bought it used on eBay for about $100. Never had service. Used it as a camera, calculator, internet receiver, and everything except a phone. It worked great for years until I left it outside in my truck for a few months in freezing weather. Will not charge. Tried leaving it on the charger over night. It don't charge.

Remove battery. It don't spin when placed on flat surface. That means it's not swollen. There are 4 terminals.
1 = +
2 = not labeled
3 = -
4 = not labeled

Tested with multimeter. RED lead on +. Tried BLACK lead on terminals 2,3, and 4. Get 0.000V DC

Yea I know I could buy a new battery for about $10. That would be too easy.

Its been so long since I played with batteries I have forgotten everything I learned. Fire up Thunder 1220, RC charger.
Scan_20200211_184453crop_front.jpg

Scan_20200211_185340crop_rear.jpg
Options are:
Lithium type
LiPo 4.20V/C
LiIo 4.10V/C
LiFe 3.6V/C

What is V/C ?

My guess is LiIo. Written on the battery is Li-ion.

Next it asks for voltage 4.10V/C is the default.

Next is LiIo manual settings.
From Operating Manual:
The STANDARD CH ARGE CURRENT is 1/10 (one tenth) of the cells' nominal capacity (e.g. for a 1. 7 Ah pack the standard charge current is 170 mA)

2600 mAh = 2.6 Ah

(one tenth) of 2.6 Ah = .26A

Set C: 0.3A close enough?

Set 2600mAh

Connect + and - on battery to charger.

Hold START button. Read display.
**INFORMATION***
BALANCER NOT CON

BATTERY CHECK
WAIT PLEASE . . .

*****ERROR*****
contact break

Try again with no battery connected. Get same results. Using 24G solid phone wire held to battery with electrical tape and rubber bands. So it is possible that connections are bad? Or charger sees 0.000V and thinks nothing is there?

After watching YouTube videos of others with same 0.000V problem. People say battery is "sleeping". Needs some electricity to "wake up".

OK lets try NiCd manual
C: 0.3A

NiCd balance cut
off volt = 1.30V

Long story short. 24G solid phone wire held to battery with electrical tape and rubber bands don't work. Rig up alligator clips and multimeter test leads. Hold + and - with two hands. Have wife press START button. Try NiCd then LiIo. Charged multiple times till charger say END.

Put battery back in phone. Connect to wall charger. Hums and shows a grey battery. Repeats about every six seconds. When phone is working properly. Grey battery comes on then a green battery shows the battery level.

Wasted a whole day on this. Unless anyone has a solution. This phone is going in the broke phone pile.

Marty,
Next time you want to revive a dead cell, ..either try with the charger set to the NiMh 1 cell (1.2v) setting to wake it up( actually it fools the charger into working !)...then step it up to a 2 cell NiMh charge, etc, until the charger can see enough volts to work on a Lico setting.
OR. Put some other discharged (3v) lico cell in parallel and charge both together until the cellphone battery can charge alone.
As usual...all at your own risk !

Back