Compact Field Oriented Controller, ASI + Grin, limited run

I'll add my voice to the group pushing for a transparent case, it's incredibly attractive.. at least for a bike builder and engineer, but who knows, maybe it'll even attract a wider audience.
I love it !

About name I have no good idea, but I read in this thread a very nice proposal: keep simple and just emboss the logo, no product brand in it. Easier too if any trouble with naming occurs, like it happend before many times on many products. Drain brain exemple ?

Anyway, very interesting product. An idea of total weight, compared to C7225 Grinfineon ?

Here are a few more based on the word "Cycle" replacing "Psycho..."

Cycle Logical
Cycle Logist
Cycle Path or Pathic :twisted:
Cycle Kinesis ( denotes movement? :D )
Cycle Licous (Yeah Baby!)

more boring
Cycle Aegis (i like the sound of this)

Hey guys so this has been quite a riot. A handful of the name suggestions here were already on our whiteboard, but quite a few are quite new and made the cut. Others, likes this one:

ambroseliao said:
Why not, Cycle Commander?
we have as a candidate name for a possible throttle product so wouldn't want to use it here. (oops, did I say that!)

amberwolf said:
GRINtroller
This is an almost perfect name that I can't believe we didn't think of. If it was our own inhouse controller PCB and firmware then I think we'd use that in a heartbeat, but since the core controller design is from ASI then I think it's taking a bit too much branding credit. We'll give it some good consideration, and maybe use this good name as incentive to get back into doing our own controller dev.

Alan B said:
Cycle Motivator

Variants of the "motivator" theme got a lot of traction too, and one of our manufacturing crew suggested the "Cycle Motorvator" which is a nice twist along this line. Anyways the staffroom whiteboard as it stands now:
Naming Whiteboard.jpg

Phase Runner definitely still sits in the lead from first round voting, but not far ahead of motorvator. Otherwise others that got some note were Cycle Commutator, Cycle Phaser, Fluxor, Smooth Mover, and Cycle Synthesizer. We'll sit on this for a few more days but should come to final decision soon.

In the meantime, things have been really busy getting everything lined up for assembly. The addition of the daughterboard for the wiring harness required changes to the heatsink design for clearance, and as a result we only just finished all the heatsink and spreader bar machining last week
CNC Complete.jpg
In order to get the best possible thermal contact between the fets and the aluminum, we've been vibratory tumble finishing the milled parts in order to get a low RMS surface roughness so that only a minimal amount of thermal grease is needed for gap filling. Perhaps there's not much point if the mosfets themselves don't have a guaranteed flat body but it seems worth a shot.
Tumbling.jpg
This batch of 50 pieces is currently all at the anodizing plant getting the engineering hardcoat.

I also thought I'd experiment a bit more with coloured dye variants even though the consensus here seems to be that clear rules. Unfortunately I overshot a bit on the blue and even with just a couple drops it turned out much darker than planned. The red controller indicator LED has a little trouble making it through that much red wavelength absorbing dye and just barely shows, so we'll likely glue a clear acylic lightpipe over the LED in future tests like this.
Blue Prototype.jpg

Preferences for what colour to try next? I've got a sampler dye kit with just about every colour under the sun, including some with fluorescent pigments that glow under UV light 8)

That looks so robust and tiny! Great job my friend!

Having more experience than I would like to have potting equipment, I must say that is an absolutely beautiful job! Do you have a vac chamber for degassing prior to the pour, or putting a vac on it during the pour? That is a pretty sizable hunk with no bubbles, fantastic work sir. You make me want to redesign my RC controllers for molded potting, although we are quite spoiled just pouring into the plastic cases these days.

I'm surprised y'all wouldn't've had GRINtroller or similar already up there. :lol:

It might not really be this quiet depending on the motor, but another name might be

Silent Spinner

The blue is kinda neat, but it *is* a little dark. Probably really nice in sunlight, though! For the blue ones why not replace that red LED with a blue one?

And if you make yellow ones, use a yellow or amber or orange LED, green LED for green ones, etc., so that the LED light can go thru the material better without compromising sealing or solidity with any rod of material embedded in it.

UV-reactive dyes would be cool, and you could use a UV- emissive white or purple LED on those for extra coolness.

but ya know you gotta try making one cast in amber (not just cuz of the name ;) but cuz it's both pretty and there's another name to go with it that *maybe* some people would grok:

Flyin' Amber

If it doesn't end up as a usable controller name, you could start naming the *color choices* and use it for that. :p

In which case, you could lighten up the blue a tad and it has a natural name Electric Blue :p

and then there's
GRIN Green
Lightning Yellow
Rocket Red
Crystal Clear EDIT: Cruisin' Clear
Phase Purple (or Vroomin' Violet)
Bookin' Black
Wipeout White
etc.

:lol:

I'm just being silly, of course, but names can be fun to play with, even if I'm terrible at it.

Cycle motivator really got stuck in my head, even after throwing out my own ideas. Since its first mention, every time I see this thread in my feed I think 'cycle motivator' right away.

Justin what about engraving Grin or E-bike.CA in the potting then putting a LED inside that lights up the whole thing but the engraved part will be very bright it would be pretty cool advertising!

Yeah the controller looks really cool with the translucent potting material but I guess I'm in the minority here cuz I want my controllers to blend in so basic black is my preference. A nice universal mounting system that allows mounting the controller on the bike tubes would be tops on my wish list. I don't understand why so many manufacturers still only offer controllers in rectangular boxes with two mounting flanges.

-R

Russell said:
Yeah the controller looks really cool with the translucent potting material but I guess I'm in the minority here cuz I want my controllers to blend in so basic black is my preference. A nice universal mounting system that allows mounting the controller on the bike tubes would be tops on my wish list. I don't understand why so many manufacturers still only offer controllers in rectangular boxes with two mounting flanges.

-R

A quick shot of black spray paint should do the job. :wink:

+1 on the mounting too. There has to be a nice setup that will work with 90% of the frame sizes people have.
I'm still thinking about how that would look though. It has to accommodate a fairly wide range of sizes and still allow for efficient heat transfer. Something resembling a stainless steel hose clamp but with a nicer looking mechanism would work. Between the controller body and the bike tube could have a silicone rubber pad to conform to the space.

This controller looks totally awesome! I'm eagerly anticipating their availability :D .

Thats a really nice looking case. Thumbs up! 8)

I probably have overseen: does it have the same specs as stated in the first post, or is this a different controller?

madin88 said:
I probably have overseen: does it have the same specs as stated in the first post, or is this a different controller?
This is not the controller from the initial post. They're working on a lineup of 3 controllers at a range of power levels - basic specs in this post. This one is the midrange model.

- 85 A peak phase current
- 36-72 V nominal batteries
- 500-1500 W

If these have changed since February, I'm sure we'll get the final specs soon enough. :)

justin_le said:
Hey guys so this has been quite a riot. A handful of the name suggestions here were already on our whiteboard, but quite a few are quite new and made the cut.

Whatever it's named it will still be a "nice FOC".

Back