Compact Motor Mount and Longbuild build

Thanks for the complements.

I'm now working on the design for the twin 120A ESC and Wiireceiver encolsure. I'm going to try machining it out of delrin. I'm hoping it will be nice and compact.

Cheers,

Peter

The enclosure for the ESC won't be coming of much.

I'm also doing an enclosure for the 6S battery packs. If my design works, I should be able to swap a battery pack in under 10 seconds. It will hopefully slot in, slide forward and lock into place. Well, that's the plan at the moment.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi,

Better I post here so as not to hijack another thread.

This in the controller I plan to build and use. It a custom designed Arduino Wii Nunchuk reciever board. It is based on the grat work done by Austin and torqueboard. It will use Austins opensource code with some config mappings for the different pinouts.

WiiController2.jpg

I plan to assemble a few boards tonight. Fingers crossed I have the layout correct the first time around.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi,

As can be seen from the image, the board is quite small. The plan is to enable it to be plugged into I/O boards to expand the functionality. My first I/O board experiment will be to have a board that will control brake lights. When the board is running or stopped, the lights will be 1/2 brightness. When braking on the Nunchuk, they will go to full brightness.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi,

I've just finished putting together 1/2 dozen boards for testing.

I'm fairly pleased with how it's turning out.

WiiControllerPCBSmall.jpg

WiiControllerPCB1Small.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Hi,

The connectors at the end of the board are for the ESC(s) and the serial port.
The ESC connector can drive two ESCs via separate PWM signals, although in most cases it will have the same singal on blth for a dual wheel drive. system.
The pin assignment of serial port has been matched so I can use a Sparkfun TTL serial to USB adaptor.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716

The photos show the adaptor board and how it plugs into the Wii controller board.

WiiController4Small.jpg

WiiController5Small.jpg

WiiController6Small.jpg

WiiController7Small.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Hi,

SUCCESS! After a few hiccups I have the Mini Wii Receiver board programmed and running.

Somehow I managed to get the labels for the serial port connector reversed. I still need to finish the long board before I can install it.

My original plan was to have a separate battery box and quick release mount along with a separate ESC enclosure. My current thinking is to create a single box to house the battery and ESC. It would mean the the battery could not be as easily changed but it would be quicker to machine, assemble and get the board on the road.

Cheers,

Peter

It seems like a little extra time now and you will save a lot of time later. Quick battery change sounds nice.

Cool stuff with the controller!

I received S/Ns 3, 4, 5 today for evaluation. I've updated the "master" branch[1] with Peter's changes to accommodate this new board, and I've done a lap on it. It works awesomely, of course. Two ESC ports, and by default they are set the same, like a virtual "Y" cable. Would not be hard to run them more independently (like 80% power to one side) if for some reason you wanted that.

The same code works on previous wiiceiver hardware just fine. I'll be using this version on new wiiceivers. We will be testing these a little harder, but so far it looks like everything I hoped it would be. Also has lots of exposed pins to hook up horns or a display or whatever you like -- very hackable.

Thanks Peter!

[1] https://github.com/jaustindavid/wiiceiver/releases/tag/1.2

phomann said:
Has anyone looked at using a 120A/150A 24V relay for switching power to the ESC? I'm thinking it might be worth considering.

Any progress here? I haven't found an electromechanical part that I like -- they're all too big. I *have* started working with MOSFETs for a different project, yet-another-side-job to fund wiiceiver development. There are 50V / 75A parts in TO-220, I might be tempted to do 3-4 in parallel. Hardware cost is about $10 or less. I hear there's a chinese-made power switch out there for closer to $40, maybe packaged nicer.

Yes, I thought about building one. but then I was really building the longboard for my son and need to get it finished before he gets his licence. :) It should be dead simple to do as you say. 4 to 6 FETs in parallel plus a driver chip and a few other bits.

In the end I purchased one of the chinese power switches from Enertion boards as they are local in Oz.

Cheers,

Peter

phomann said:
Yes, I thought about building one. but then I was really building the longboard for my son and need to get it finished before he gets his licence. :) It should be dead simple to do as you say. 4 to 6 FETs in parallel plus a driver chip and a few other bits.

In the end I purchased one of the chinese power switches from Enertion boards as they are local in Oz.

How well does it work?

phomann said:
The photos show the adaptor board and how it plugs into the Wii controller board.

WiiController4Small.jpg
This is looking almost as compact as a 2.4GHz receiver : congrats, Is it available for purchase ?

Hi,

Yes, they will be in a few weeks through torqueboard. I'll also sell some direct for the Oz longboarders through my webstore.

I've only put together half a dozen for testing at the moment.

http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/

Cheers,

Peter

Hi,

I've been a bit busy lately, but have put the first panel of MiniWiiceivers together. It took a while as I have to program and set up the pick and place machine.
The board has turned out well. On close inspection you will notice that one of the connectors is missing from most boards on the panel. I had 10 samples of the connector and they are all used up. :( I have an order en route but it is still a week or two away.

MiniWiiPanel1sm.jpg

The next task is to program them all. I'm making up a pogo pin programming fixture to speed the programming up.
A couple of pics of the machine doing it's job:
PandP1sm.jpg

PandP2sm.jpg

Cheers,

Peter.

I found some time to work on the electronics enclosure.

I haven't seen it done before but I've added a key switch so that the on/off switch can be locked out.

Panel1.jpg

Panel2sm.jpg

Panel3sm.jpg

Still lots more to do.

Cheers,

Peter

Back