Compact Motor Mount and Longbuild build

Hi,

A quick update. I'm currently in New Zealand for work for two weeks. I bought the MiniWiiReceivers with me along with the programming fixture I've built so I can get them ready while I'm away.

WiiProgrammerSm.jpg

I should have have 25+ available once I get back home.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi All,

I managed to go a bit of work on the enclosure for the longboard over the weekend. The enclosure will be in two halves, screwed together with allen bolts.

I milled the enclosure using a Romaxx router I've had for a while now. I used draftsight to draw up the enclosure, then used Sheetcam to convert it to Gcode prior to using Mach3 to perform the cutting.

Removing that much material created a mess, but in the end it came out OK.

Enc_Asm.jpg

Enc_Bsm.jpg

On the 2nd image you can see the "tabs". Sheetcam can put in tabs to stop the cut out piece from breaking loose before cutting is finished. The tabs are onlt 0.6mm thick so the enclosure can be easily broken out of the stock.

The following images gives an indication of the size of the enclosure. It will accommodate the two 5000mAh S3 batteries plus all the electronics.

Enc_Csm.jpg

Enc_Dsm.jpg

The following shows how the batteries are installed as well as the MiniWiiReceiver. I made up a loom to put the batteries in series and used the plugs that came with the batteries so that I can replace the batteries relatively easily.

Enc_Fsm.jpg

And finally a few shots showing the rest of the electronics installed.

Enc_Gsm.jpg

Enc_Hsm.jpg

Enc_Ism.jpg

There always seems to be less room than envisaged. :shock:

Hi Austin,

I thought about using wood but decided against it as my guess is that it wouldn't be durable enough against curb strikes and the like.

It would be cheaper though, and look nicer.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi,

Nope, the ESC is the Dual 120A ESC by Flier, sold by a number of sellers on this list.

The Nunchuck receiver board is my own design based on Austins work.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Austin,

Yes that's a voltmeter. Not very useful though, It's just for a bit of bling?

What is more useful is the low voltage alarm. It gives one tone when the voltage is low and another when it is critical to stop. This is far better for my son to be able to manage the battery condition.

I still need to wire up the key switch.

Cheers,

Peter

Just a quick update and incremental progress.
I made the cross bar support to provide protection to the motors and to square up the mounts.
If I was to do it again, I'd also put another support bar close to the truck.

SupportBarSm.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

is that black material completely rigid? is your deck very rigid also?

If no, how does case work it terms of deck flexion? is it mounted flush with the surface of deck?

Definitely, interested in that as well. I'm wondering if a bendable enclosure is better and/or a rigid aluminum rectangle box is sufficient and ok similar to the Zboard's setup.

The option of having it flex is definitely an importance. I guess it's better to have the bend-ability versus not have it.

Hi,

It's quite rigid. With the top half on it will be strong.

The board has a bow in it and flexs a small amount. The enclosure will be attached by four M5 bolts with Nylock nuts. I'm assuming that the enclosure will reduce the flex, but I'm not completely sure how it will go.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi All,

A bit more work on the board over the weekend. I've decided to mount the MiniWiiceiver into the top half of the enclosure, so I cut the integrated mounts off the bottom half.
I also finished off the bottom half of the enclosure.

enc_k.jpg

This is the top half mounted to the bottom half. There seems to be an awful lot of fasteners. :shock:

enc_s.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

The MiniWiiceiver now mount to the top half of the enclosure.
I also put in some 5mm flat top LEDs so that the status of the receiver can been seen once everything is assembled.

enc_m.jpg

The MiniWiiceiver mounts in as shown below.

enc_n.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

The next step was to drill the mounting holes for the front panel. The panel includes the charging jack, on/off switch and key switch.

enc_o1.jpg

And, with the panel mounted.

enc_o.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

These pics show then enclosure with power applied. I was just doing a bit of testing to check a few thing out. As you can see it is quite handy being able to see the status LEDsof the MiniWiiceiver and the Wii remote receiver LED.

enc_p.jpg

enc_q.jpg

That's about it for the update for now. I'll do a set of better images once it is finished and fitted off.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks,

The board is for my son. I might get to ride it a bit, give it a test run, that sort of thing.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi All,

Well, the longboard is finally done for now. I have a list of improvements that I would do if I was to build another board. I leant a great deal along the way. Thanks for all the help from everyone who chimed in.

The board is running
  • Homebuilt maple veener deck
  • Calibre 50 trucks
  • ABEC 11 Wheels
  • Alien Drive System Motor and wheel pulleys
  • Two Hobbyking SK3 5045 motors powered by a 6S 5000mA LiPo battery (2 x 3S 5000mA)
  • Homann Designs MiniWiiceiver +Nyco nunchuxk controller
  • 120A Dual Flyer ESC
  • Flyer Electronic Power switch
  • Hobbyking low voltage alarm
  • Ebay voltmeter

Longboard1sm.jpg

Longboard2sm.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Back