Complete Jackshaft Kit

KAZUALT

10 W
I am totally ignorant when it comes to the items need for a jackshaft. What I need is a Jackshaft kit that comes complete with moutings, bearungs shaft, LHD freehweel capable with a fixed drive gear on the rh side. Is there a company that sells a complete kit. Sorry for my ignorance.
JD

Your best bet is to pm a forum member named Recumperance and tell him what your trying to build and he will be able to recomend one of his many designs of a complete jackshaft/reduction motor mount options. Well worth the money if you dont want to ahve to do any major modifications. Or google shift kits, mainly for gas engines but are usually fine for e-bikes but not as high powered as Recumperances

If you have some machining ability i would recommend something like a mini-bike transmission, cheaper by far and should be good for atleast 5kw and designed for the high rpms. A bike free wheel could be mounted on the trans with a locking bushing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-Pocket-Bike-Parts-33-43-49cc-Transmission-X1-X2-X6-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a623d4609QQitemZ250756285961QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

+1 for Recumpence highly recommend his drives are fantastic.. ;)

KiM

Is this simply a reduction transmission, or are there gears in it as well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-Pocket-Bike-Parts-33-43-49cc-Transmission-X1-X2-X6-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a623d4609QQitemZ250756285961QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories[/quote]

Its a two-stage geared reduction. It turns high motor RPM input, into lower RPM chain output. It does not shift into different speeds.

Similar to Statons unit, but smaller:
staton_interior_gears.jpg

thanks for the advice. But I don ot need a gearbox, reducuction or such. I just need a jackshaft kit that holds a freewheel on the LH side and a Fixed Gear on the RH side. With all due respect to Recumpence, I don't have $100's of $ to spend on a simple jackshaft. I figured out last night what to order from staton, gonna asked them a couple of questions first to make sure I get it right. Just wish someone had a simple kit that included:
Mount
LH or RH Freewheel
Fixed Gear
Freewheel adapter
Shaft
Bearings
without having to piece order it, or have to order extra items I will never use.I am simply hooking a DC motor to a rh fixed gear on a jackshaft that has a freewheel on the LHS which is linked to a gear mounted to the disc brake adapter on the LHS of a Nuvinci Hub mounted on a 20" rear wheel. I have everything but the jackshaft setup. Tried the motor without a freewheel and needless to say it &%$&%#!!!!!! Very badly hwen the battery ran out. Really tried not to use a jackshaft, but it seems inevitable if I want to have a decently running setup.
JD

Bluefang said:
Your best bet is to pm a forum member named Recumperance and tell him what your trying to build and he will be able to recomend one of his many designs of a complete jackshaft/reduction motor mount options. Well worth the money if you dont want to ahve to do any major modifications. Or google shift kits, mainly for gas engines but are usually fine for e-bikes but not as high powered as Recumperances

If you have some machining ability i would recommend something like a mini-bike transmission, cheaper by far and should be good for atleast 5kw and designed for the high rpms. A bike free wheel could be mounted on the trans with a locking bushing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-Pocket-Bike-Parts-33-43-49cc-Transmission-X1-X2-X6-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a623d4609QQitemZ250756285961QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

These will NOT handle 5000 watts. I am on my second unit, running a 5:1 reduction before it and then from this box to the cranks and the teeth can't really handle more than about 1200 reliably. When I accidentally took off in 8th gear (does 40mph in that gear) it stressed the gears and by the time I got home that day, about a mile from my house it sheared the teeth of the primary gear. It is possible it might take it if you ran the bike single speed to the rear wheel without a reduction stage before the box, but certainly not 5000 watts...At least not for long...

Are you running the clutch in the gear box? I am planing to use it with a RC motor topping out at 8000rpm running thru the clutch into the gearbox and from there to a Powertwist V-belt to a 20" rear wheel. Some of these mini bikes put out some pretty high power so i am assuming it will work with plenty of shock absorption. Olaf-lampe has run one of the larger turnigys thru one of the gearboxes and he seemed to be able to put some pretty high power thru the box even tho it was on a test bench.

Derek

That is good to know. I am looking at a couple of motors that max at more than 6k rpms. Is it possible to replace the gears with something harder? do the bearings and case parts seem to hold up under the pressure? if the gears were replaced with pulleys and belts would they be more durable?

You can look on McMaster/Carr as well. Research "Pillow Block". You will find various jackshaft bearing blocks sold there.

If you look hard enough, you will find something that will work.

FYI, the problem with trying to find something on the cheap is, you normally (well, this happens to me, anyway) tend to buy something, then something else, then something else, looking for what will work perfect. In the end, it will cost more than you might think and take a bit of time. Do not get discouraged, however. Persist and you will find what you need.

Matt

It's funny I was just wishing the other day that there was just a kit for the jackshaft I needed too. The reality though is that each application I think will be a little different so trying to come up with a "basic jackshaft kit" would be challenging. I finally resolved most of my issues yesterday (I think :wink: ) and am getting excited for the rest of the build now. You can see my jackshaft solution by following the link in my sig. to the Bike E build. The 1/2" shaft fw adapter came from FFR trikes.

KAZUALT said:
I am totally ignorant when it comes to the items need for a jackshaft. What I need is a Jackshaft kit that comes complete with moutings, bearungs shaft, LHD freehweel capable with a fixed drive gear on the rh side. Is there a company that sells a complete kit. Sorry for my ignorance.
JD

How about a rear bicycle hub that has threads for FW and disc brake mount. Flip it over to put the threads on the left and it can FW as the drive sprocket without unscrewing, and you mount the fixed gear on the disc brake mount. Bearings are already included, so you just bolt the non-spinning axle to the bike. It doesn't get much simpler or cheaper.

I have run into the same problem. In the end (if you look at my full suspension mountainbike build) I used 1/2 of my drive unit as a stand-alone jackshaft.

A jackshaft system is a simple thing, but can be difficult to setup if you do not have the right equipment.

Matt

recumpence said:
You can look on McMaster/Carr as well. Research "Pillow Block". You will find various jackshaft bearing blocks sold there.

If you look hard enough, you will find something that will work.

FYI, the problem with trying to find something on the cheap is, you normally (well, this happens to me, anyway) tend to buy something, then something else, then something else, looking for what will work perfect. In the end, it will cost more than you might think and take a bit of time. Do not get discouraged, however. Persist and you will find what you need.

Matt

I second Matt on that one. I ended up building a bike that cost me 800 in the end after all the custom machine parts I designed and had made. Next time I'd just buy the hub motor, or a kepler drive is nice, or perhaps Matt's drive.

Good luck; and see these threads for some ideas if you want:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14901&hilit=+HIV
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=21953&start=15

Back