• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Completely Frozen spokes and nipples

999zip999

100 TW
I have two wheels with frozen nipples every one of them I tried a lubricant then I tried BP buster catalyst. Still frozen one is an XTR rim for disc or rim brakes with flat spokes. The other is just a rim that could be for rim brakes or disc with 14 gauge round spokes.
Both are Frozen as of a rock.
I have a mini Jewelers torch with a little pencil light tip it runs on propane and oxygen it gets very hot and it's very very small flame. I know there's aluminum brass nipples and steel what kind of problems could I run too.
What's the best way to free up a frozen nipple and spoke any and all suggestions would be fine.

I'm now at the level of using a really small Jewelers torch ? Propane and oxygen.
Steel,brass and aluminum what could go wrong
If you try it on one, then if it doesn’t work, seems the downside isn’t that great. I was going to suggest one of those torch lighters. I don’t think it will require that much heat, and less potential damage.

If you try to turn a stuck nipple, spoke will twist. Assuming you hold spoke near nipple with vice grips.

For heat - Start with a heat gun. Small stuff like spokes and nipples don't need to get super hot. If heat gun don't work. Try propane. If propane is not hot enough. I got MAPP gas. Think Propane and oxygen is way to hot. Be careful move torch around and don't leave in in one place for too long.

Do it in a well ventilated area, not indoors. Who knows what you'd be burning off, and if they are cheap spokes then who really does know?

I've had it where like 2 maybe 4 spokes freeze, but its usually doable to loosen the nipples with a lot of effort using the spoke tool.
But on occasion it would sometime take too much effort to try and loosen, and being afraid to bend the J-bend on the spoke I just left it.
Never have I see every spoke, all 36 frozen. Not sure if its because of cheap, generic spokes or that I did not use a lubricant like boiled linseed oil for spoke-prep. Having one or two frozen isn't unusual for me. Lace a hub at least once a year.

Never have I see every spoke, all 36 frozen. Not sure if its because of cheap, generic spokes or that I did not use a lubricant like boiled linseed oil for spoke-prep.
OP's environment is Southern California Pacific Coast, so often exposed to extreme salt-soaked environmental conditions.

Back