Controller overvolting

T4R

100 µW
Hallo my name is Pino, I'm Italian and this is my first post.
I've a bike with a Golden Motor kit 48V 1Kw
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t314/RosyMarco/DSCF0310.jpg

I'm very satisfied of it.
Bat the four SLA goes away :D so I would change to LiPo.
The problem is the maximum voltage of the controller.
Does someone know the voltage limit of my controller? It is the old one without programmable possibility.
Does it possible tunig up the controller?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t314/RosyMarco/DSCF0198.jpg

My idea is to buy a 15s Turnigy nanotech model. Are they too much?
Thank you.
Pino

P.S. I'm sorry for my English

Pino,
Welcome!

!5s should work as 15s at 4.2v is 63v which should be ok. you shouldn't peak them to 4.2v per cell but about 4.1/4.15 as a rule of cycle life and safety.

I have been running 15s for a few months on most of my bikes and have no problems. If the controller handles 48v it should take the 15 at 62v. A 48 LiFePo peaks around 60v so it should be ok.

No guarantees on it,, but it should be fine.

that controller is a lot newer than the old 36v regen from Golden I got years ago. It took a PING 48v pack without a concern.

There might be others out there that have better thought.

Dan

Most 48v controllers can tolerate 63v. 15s lipo will drop to 62v nearly immediately upon hitting the throttle. If you are worried, you could run 14s, which charges to about 59v max.

You could even consider 12s lipo. Not as fast as 15s for sure, but not bad, and 6s packs can simplify charging. With a new controller later, the jump to 18s is easy. Charged to 4.2v, 12s lipo is 50v.

Thanks for the ansewer.
I will try with 15s becouse is too simple to do the pack.
With 12s is not possible becouse the cut off at 42V stop the controller, so i can't profit by the pack.

Bat have no one use this kit/controller?

Thank again

Pino

I'm using the GM 48V 1000W motor, but not the GM controller.

The motor came in a kit with a 30A Infinion controller limited to 63V. I wanted to try something else, so went to a 40A controller capable of 100V.

Actually, if using 12 s lipo, you sure would be wanting the lvc to stop the pack discharging right about at 42v. In fact, better still if the lvc was about 44v.

But 15s will be faster. 8)

Back