Cool Hospital

dogman dan

1 PW
It turns out that my wife's tummy trouble was appendicitis. So she's at a local hospital recovering from the surgery for a week or so. Unbelievable, she can normally eat anything, unlike me. She's going to be fine, but could have died the other day, it did rupture.

But the hospital is cool. Not only was her surgeon superb, and the nurses great, but the place has E-bike parking. I was a bit hesitant to go there by bike, thinking that security would be looking at it, wondering about all the wires. Not worth it. Then I notice out the window there's an E zip out there. Hmm maybe they are used to ebikes here? Later I went around to that side, where the ambulance entrance is, and along with two mopeds, there is an Amberwolf worthy E bike. Looks like they are pretty used to a bike with wires and other weird shit all over it. So today I got to ride there, helping ease my stress level back down to mild panic. Off the scale the other day, thinking she might die.

Ebike at MVH.jpg

My longtail of course, then the hospital workers bike on the right. Two golden motor or yes kits, front and rear. Huge controllers, two throttles, full blown head and tail lights that look to be run from a DC converter, all topped off by a battery trailer with a sinister looking bundle of wires going to it. Haven't found out who rides it to ask, but I'm assuming 60 pounds of lead is back there.

And I was thinking they'd find my bike dangerous looking. :roll: :mrgreen:

Your DL (Dear Lady, aka "Number One) may or may not be interested in reading that Wicked Pee thingee about "Vermiform appendix", here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiform_appendix

So glad your wife is ok.
Hospital visits? Never fun. Too scary.
Best news is in the world is surgeon saying "no surprises, everything should be ok."

Nice about the ebike friendly environment!

This is my prayer, writing it at this moment.

I thank Lord God in the name of Jesus Redeemer for complete healing and comfort for the lovely wife, and for every human attacked by the same ailment.

Amen.

Glad to hear she is ok Dogman! that's a scare for sure.

Is that the actual ebike parking? there is no where to lock up and i do not see charge ports?

No, it's not official, with a charge plug or anything. I was just happy to see a parking spot where security was clearly quite used to seeing something weird with wires and sinister looking boxes parked there. This other bike is the polar opposite of a clean build, so I knew nobody would have mine hauled off by the police when they saw it. I have a few exposed wires, but this other guy has stuff hanging everywhere, with connections by wire nuts. It's the employees motorcycle and bike park, so any security dudes just see another bike there and ignore it. If folks are watching their ride out those windows, they are watching mine too. :D

Thanks for the positive energy. I'm not religious, but do like lots of good thoughts sent my way when in need. It was damn scary, once it ruptures, it's not such a low risk operation. She is recovering great, and has had her white count drop a lot yesterday. The let her have some ice chips by last night, and they are happy with her progress toward eating in a few more days.

The day it happened, things were not smooth. We had a problem at the bigger hospital with the OR being tied up with another bad surgery. We were going to just wait there an hour or two, but then that operation went bad. Changing hospitals was a bitch to do in a hurry, but by changing we got her on the table about 8 hours sooner. Late that night, the surgeon called, and the OR there still has the same poor old lady on it. Needless to say, with a hot appendix, the last thing we wanted was to wait till tomorrow to get into an OR. It got quite complicated since we couldn't get an ambulance quick. For some dumb reason, a ride from a hospital is low priority, even if still an emergency. So we had to literally walk her out the door, and drive to the other hospital 2 miles away. We did that on the surgeons advice, and 10 min after walking in the door of the other hospital, she was in the OR.

I am glad your wife is ok. When I was 12 I had it. I vaguely remember 3 days of intense pain followed by an ambulance ride. I remember saying to the paramedics. "Its OK, I just felt a "pop" and the pain is gone so you can take me home." The next thing I remember is waking up in my hospital room.

Get well wishes to your wife and God Bless.

'Cal

Isn't the appendix a leftover organ that evolution forgot to rid itself from? The tonsils too. That's what I kinda remember. The both of them are just collectors of poisons that would increase the chance of infection & inflammation. They serve no purpose :?:

In 1928, my mom had appendicitis when she was 8 yesrs old and went by horseless carriage from Fontanell, IA (at the time pop. ~840, today pop. ~650) to Des Moines (around 60 miles) to have it removed :shock: . I had my tonsils and adenoids out at 8 years old, and the hospital was only 2 blocks from my boyhood home. :|
From this ailment we get the old adage: "feed a cold-starve a fever". Symptoms of appendicitis can mimic other conditions, often delaying treatment. Hope she is feeling much better today and can go home soon. :D

melodious said:
Isn't the appendix a leftover organ that evolution forgot to rid itself from? The tonsils too. That's what I kinda remember. The both of them are just collectors of poisons that would increase the chance of infection & inflammation. They serve no purpose :?:

Ummm... It may appear to some others that somebuddy here didn't bother to click (on one post that I posted earlier in this thread, above).

LockH said:
melodious said:

Ummm... It may appear to some others that somebuddy here didn't bother to click (on one post that I posted earlier in this thread, above).

:B Now I feel dumb. I clicked it and I learned a new word: vestigial :mrgreen:

For those watching this, My wife is much better as of yesterday. Progressing in the healing very well, and got to drink liquids yesterday. White counts dropping, but she has popped a few fevers over the last few days. No longer wanting the morphine. You know she was hurting bad when they offer morphine. Generally these days, you get something weak unless really hurt bad.

She got the small incisions, so that part will heal faster and with less pain. She looks just like she went to the local bar, and got knifed. Three small punctures, a drain, and peritonitis.

This has all bee so weird, generally my wife can eat anything and be fine. I'm the one who pukes if food is not fresh, while she just burps once. This is not her year. The university shuts down for Christmas, and she had the flu for the entire 9 day break. Now she is sitting in a hospital for the spring break. We had been planning a small road trip.

Glad to hear she is on the mend dogman!

It's great she is getting better.

Wife had surgery last yaer to replace her knees. Hospital is about 2 miles away and was great. Nuesing home/ rehab was just a litlle further. i asked if I could bring my Ebike in TO HER ROOM. Thay said, sure why not. they bring electric wheel cahairs in, why not a bike.

Hope she goes home soon.

dan

" Now she is sitting in a hospital for the spring break. We had been planning a small road trip."

Sorry to hear this DM. Please tell her a joke watt some silly old half-dead mostly "white" (pink, brown, etc) guy (?) poked in the Alt. Planet "E.S"?

The best part of any hospital vacation (?) isn't the stay at all, but the hot sex afterwards. (Not usually mentioned in the brochures, etc.)

(Of course, being a single guy now, I have about six+ billion friends (plus the gawds know how many "other" animals), and "sex" had one possibly nasty side "benefit" of producing more offspring - on a little ball of dirt getting maybe waaay too crowded.)

good to hear the wife is getting better dogman.

ive had appendicitis a few years back and it ruptured. i thought nothing of it and thought it was food poisoning. ill never forget what the doctor said when they came back into my ER room, "you're gonna need surgery." it turned out they had to remove a foot of my colon too since my appendix ruptured. i asked for it back but they wouldnt let me have it...lol :roll:

but i hope your wife makes a fast, full recovery.

Oww, a foot of your gut. That's exactly what I was worrying about when the surgery took longer than I was told it should. I thought for sure it was something like that. Instead, it was taking longer because the guy was determined not to do a big cut.

So she's got just three small holes instead of a huge slash. When they wouldn't let her drink a drop of water for two days, we kept on worrying. Clearly the surgeon was wanting her ready to cut back open if it was needed.

I think today she will get something resembling food.

Yay, she got real food yesterday afternoon, and should be coming home Friday.

I hit the wall yesterday, yet again proving I cannot go back to work. (post viral chronic fatigue) I can do 3-4 days at most, a 5 day week of even easy stuff kills me. Even before I get terribly sick, I get reallllly stupid.

Master DM...
Yesterday, on the Faceplant (sp?) pages for the local city cycling group (those yet uninitiated into the magic of electric traction), somebuddy there reposted "You Know Bicycling Is Good for Your City. Now Prove It to the Skeptics" from Streetsblog USA (usa.streetsblog.org).

My reply:
Nice. Last year, one half-dead old guy rode his trike past 1,000s of folks trapped in their gasoline/diseasal-powered horseless carriages, smelling each others stinky butts, bumper-to-bumper in urban traffic. (Most of my NA neighbours aren't interested in getting around town faster, and for waaay cheaper, one might assume.)

One response so far to my reply (with one FP "Like" so far from another there):
this is excellent advice!

Being currently on local "Ontario Disability Support Plan", others suspect I am "disabled" (watt I am somewatt, physically), but I also don't trust EVen myself, at least to do accounting "work" for $$$ (and I have lost my last two clients for acctg. work during/after my... extended vacation in various local hospitals).

So my "Plan B" for myself, right now? (At least to generate the "Big Four" - of Fun, Food, Clothing and Shelter.)

Breaking my plan into small bits (you may wish to tick along with me?):
1)Ebike-addicted.
2)Have read and written about electric traction for many years.
3)Moved to a property that had an unused leaning over detached wooden garage needing love (cleaning out, etc.), or might find same in your immediate area available for free/super cheap.

Next, gather a crew to assist.

Turn garage into a "hangout"/local destination for other ebike-addicted and wannabes. (Offer re-charges for passers-through, instruction on conversion of antique - pedal-only - bikes and trikes, maintenance and safe operation to maybe survive other local traffic - vehicles and animals, human and etc., coffee?, and etc.?) Don't party (too much.)

Encourage folks to bring approved puppy treats.

Seem like a plan? (Any/all donations of $$$ much appreciated.)

Yes?

Back