Crystalyte NEW HIGH POWER hub motor...TheCrown

I see the winding configuration is different than the old motors. Is this a concentrated pole winding?
The old ones had overlapping windings that put a lot of copper on the ends where it doesn't do any good.
It does look like the slots could be filled a bit more. It can be pretty hard to get a complete fill depending on the winding method.

A temperature sensor should be standard equipment on all high performance motors. It would be nice if if there was a standard type and even nicer if the controllers could gradually reduce current limit based on temperature. Something like a CA could possibly do this.

My concerns are absolutely speculative, I almost feel bad voicing them because it could impact sales. I feel better addressing them, while also suggesting that people give the motor a shot because we won't really know issues until 100's are out there being ridden hard. I may have to get some specialized swaged spokes made for them, as lacing 12ga spokes into bicycle thickness rims isn't an ideal wheel for the long term. If there is an issue, getting new magnet ring/ hub shells made by Xlyte would not be difficult.

++1 on integrated temp sensor.

fechter said:
It would be nice if if there was a standard type and even nicer if the controllers could gradually reduce current limit based on temperature. Something like a CA could possibly do this.

CA v3 already does so based on a 10k NTC thermistor. Starts limiting throttle input into the controller from 90oC up to zero throttle at 130oC. Both cut-offs are user set. I assume the CA regresses linearly between those two points.

+1 for the integrated temp. sensors

i think for this kind of motors the temp. sensors is a MUST...

i hope Crystalyte will put 2x sensors inside the motor...

RoughRider said:
i dont think there will be any big issues with the spokes or the spoke holes...

Crystalyte tested this design very carefully and there was no issue with the spokes or the spoke holes...
But some of us like to ride in extrem conditions. Jumps, high-speed in the forest with roots, pieces of wood, potholes, ... So an easy access to the spokes is needed :)

Aren't these spokes just about like the proven straight pull hub Mavic off road wheels? Which have been around for years.
http://www.mavic.com/en/product/wheels/mountain-bike/wheels/Crossride-Disc-9mm#326556

they are not exactly the same, but similar to the Mavic...

when i see the Mavic hub-design...i have much more trust in the Crystalyte design...:)

when this Mavic hub have prooven their design, than the Crystalyte design will be fine...:)

@pchen92
there is an easy access dont worry...
you can change the spokes as fast as with a "normal" design

The mavic hub has the opening at a right angle to the spoke tension with the "flange" in shear stress. The Xlyte hub has the opening a few degrees off from the spoke tension and the "flange" is tensionally stressed. Similar concept of spoke retention, different execution. My concerns stem around a pocket in tension stress along with the exit being so close to the spoke bed.

The Mavic straight pull hubs had problems with spokes coming out during bumps until they changed the flange to the SRS design.

The Mavic design hasn't solved any problems, but has imposed a few. I think the only practical reason for it is branding/marketing. There is no engineering benefit I have been able to discern during its years on the market.

hi-powercycles said:
Magnet Stack:
http://i47.tinypic.com/qx5o53.jpg
qx5o53.jpg
That's called a "lamination stack", not a "magnet stack"; it's the stator. There aren't any magnets in it--the magnets are on the other part that spins around (the rotor). ;)

RoughRider said:
i dont think there will be any big issues with the spokes or the spoke holes...

Crystalyte tested this design very carefully and there was no issue with the spokes or the spoke holes...
As carefully as they tested the HT/HS series of motors before they sent them out with a serious design flaw that sheared thru cabling repeatedly for many users? :roll: :lol:

The team of experts here at ES could probably help make the design better. This usually happens after the product is already released. Getting input earlier in the design process could save a lot of money and get better products to the market.

Great to hear the latest CA has the temp feature already. 10k NTC it is. I hereby declare this to be the "standard" for temperature sensors. :wink:

This figures. I build a monster around a 5404, and someone comes up with a bigger monster! :D

This could be an interesting motor. I wonder how it will hold up against the 530X and 540X motors in long hard high watt pulls, but for short shots, it may be a winner.

The spokes have to go. If I can't get a replacement spoke in my hand an hour after breaking one, I have no use for the wheel. Any shop can make a conventional spoke. maybe a size down if you go for a thick spoke, but you can be riding again fast. Thats a good thing if you're on vacation and won't be around long enough to order one..

So why would a company create a specialty spoke no one stocks that has no advantage over the part it replaced? As JRH points out, It may be taking stress in a bad direction. This reminds me of the G series, with it's deplorable spoke design.

hey JRH when i get you right, than your concern is that under the "wrong" circumstances a spoke can pop out the hole and get lose...is that what you mean?

i like the design of the motor AND of the spokes because it is different to these that you see at any other motor...it looks cool
all the hub motors look the same...
TheCrown has a unique design...you can id this motor from far away...

i got another interesting information about this motor:
- high grade magnets...the magnets inside TC can resist much higher temperature

this is a good feature for high power pulls...constant or short

i am stuck with my bike build...i am stuck at the battery
i want a A123-battery out of M1s made by cell-man...i contacted him...but i dont get any reply from him
is cell-man out of business?

RoughRider said:
i like the design of the motor AND of the spokes because it is different to these that you see at any other motor...it looks cool

That was the point with Mavic's package wheels, and it is probably the point here. But that is only an advantage for the manufacturer, not for you.

For maintenance items like spokes, chains, bearings, etc., standardization is good. If there isn't an even better reason to use something weird, then using the weird item is a disservice to the buyer.

RoughRider said:
hey JRH when i get you right, than your concern is that under the "wrong" circumstances a spoke can pop out the hole and get lose...is that what you mean?

this is a good feature for high power pulls...constant or short

i am stuck with my bike build...i am stuck at the battery
i want a A123-battery out of M1s made by cell-man...i contacted him...but i dont get any reply from him
is cell-man out of business?

Try writing to him here.

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=information/contact
otherDoc

RoughRider said:

We just now can guess a)130°C 266°F b)155°C 311°F c)180°C 356°F ? :wink:

How much temp can the phase wires withstand? Are they with silicone or PVC isolated?

Or better i should ask what is the rated max. temp for the whole TC motor?

As i read here about the super special TC spokes, it`ś maybe a good idea to order a bunch of them with the TC together :p

RoughRider said:
So would fancily-braided celtic-knot spokes, but they wouldn't actually function well, if at all.

It'd also look realy cool if there werent' any side covers on the motor, but that wouldn't work either. Make them out of plexiglass, and they'd look cool, until the various loads on them shattered them.

Looking cool or unique is kinda pointless if it causes problems.

Makes it easier to *stay* far away from it, too. ;)

Don't get me wrong--I like things that look different (just look at my bikes or anyting else I build!) but when functionality or reliability or ease of maintenance is compromised by the design, it needs to be reworked before manufacture.

If they wanted something that looked "different" but was actually fucntionally better, they coudl try making/using rims that allowed shallower nipple angles without bending/stressing the spoke ends, which would make for a stronger wheel and also allow many interesting multi-cross lacings despite the size of the hubmotor.

Something else that would be unique is they could also make/use rims that could handle the large gauge spokes they use on these things, so they could actualy be tensioned correctly and not break spokes all the time just from normal riding on flat roads.

Or, they could nix the insufficnet and problematic "flatted axle" idea and integrate the torque arm into the motor like IGHs, coaster and drum brake hubs, and Heinzmann motors already do, to make mounting to nearly any bike a breeze, and safe to use on any frame or fork material or design.

Or they could stop usign random scrap metal to manufacture the parts from, and use consistent materials and proper techniques to forge, treat, and machine the metals with, making a much-superior product that probably wouldn't break axles just from going off a curb, or shear the freewheel threads off the cover just from pedalling normally.

Lots of other ways to make it look diffferent and actually be unique that would *improve* the motor and wheel, rather than be detrimental to it one way or another (as this design is, and their older G series).

Unfortunately when even dealers (like HPC and probably others) and riders (like you and others) think these designs are a good idea cuz they might sell due to their "differentness", and just gloss over the problems or ignore them, rather than making the manufacturer fix them before they'd buy them, it just encourages such practices, and takes us farther and farther away from better designs.

speedmd said:
Possibly to take out a few pounds of copper. :|

And add lots of heating to the motor, among other notable problems caused by using Al instead of Cu.

amberwolf said:
Don't get me wrong--I like things that look different (just look at my bikes or anyting else I build!) but when functionality or reliability or ease of maintenance is compromised by the design, it needs to be reworked before manufacture.

If they wanted something that looked "different" but was actually fucntionally better, they coudl try making/using rims that allowed shallower nipple angles without bending/stressing the spoke ends, which would make for a stronger wheel and also allow many interesting multi-cross lacings despite the size of the hubmotor.

Something else that would be unique is they could also make/use rims that could handle the large gauge spokes they use on these things, so they could actualy be tensioned correctly and not break spokes all the time just from normal riding on flat roads.

Or, they could nix the insufficnet and problematic "flatted axle" idea and integrate the torque arm into the motor like IGHs, coaster and drum brake hubs, and Heinzmann motors already do, to make mounting to nearly any bike a breeze, and safe to use on any frame or fork material or design.

Or they could stop usign random scrap metal to manufacture the parts from, and use consistent materials and proper techniques to forge, treat, and machine the metals with, making a much-superior product that probably wouldn't break axles just from going off a curb, or shear the freewheel threads off the cover just from pedalling normally.

Lots of other ways to make it look diffferent and actually be unique that would *improve* the motor and wheel, rather than be detrimental to it one way or another (as this design is, and their older G series).

Unfortunately when even dealers (like HPC and probably others) and riders (like you and others) think these designs are a good idea cuz they might sell due to their "differentness", and just gloss over the problems or ignore them, rather than making the manufacturer fix them before they'd buy them, it just encourages such practices, and takes us farther and farther away from better designs.

Amberwolf, I hope they read this...you've summed up all my thoughts about Crystalyte and expressed them with the obvious expertise that I lack.

You guys have all gone spoke insane! There is nothing wrong with straight pull spokes. They will be less prone to wear through and break at the hub. Mavic uses straight pull spokes on every high end racing wheel they make.
379305_410632352349216_111661101_n.jpg

Back