diagnostic help

john7700

100 W
The Happy Valley ................Western Mass. USA
Hi gang, after almost a thousand miles since my last major break down, I am unable to determine my current problem and looking for some ideas to move forward. I have a 9c kit with a 36/20 ping and a CA.

I was just riding along and suddenly lost poser to the rear wheel.

I know my battery is charged and I have power to the CA.

I double checked for a throttle problem using a new known working throttle.

Each faze wire is measuring ~5 and back to zero as the wheel is rotated.

I am getting a small single clicking sound out of the motor when the throttle is engaged. It does not try to move and does not try to move if I turn the wheel by hand.

I'm not sure what else to test or check at this point. I'm hoping the good folks here at ES can get me back on track.

Sounds like a problem with your hall sensors inside the motor. The first thing I would do is carefully inspect the connector plug between the controller and the motor. Look for wires that have pulled away from the plug halves and for pins that have backed out and are not making a tight connection. If the connectoins are good then you will have to check out the hall sensors themselves. There is some hall sensor troubleshooting information in the technical reference area.

I agree, likely a hall sensor failed, or the connection to the sensor failed to make contact. VERY often it's loose contacts at plugs, that back out of the housings.

It can also be a bad plug on the main power wires too. So far, no reason to suspect the controller.

Re reading, Phase wires don't go from 5v to 0, that's the halls. Apparently they check out, so I'd start really looking at wires, halls or bigger phase wires not getting contact, or cut at the hub axle.

Yea D-man, I meant hall sensor wires. I was a big chocolate mess when I made the first post. Late, broken bike, needed to be four places yesterday etc. Calmed down a little this afternoon and took another stab at it but I am still stumped.

It obviously isn't a main power line because the power is going in to the controller and sending power to the CA. I checked the only two andersons I have left for connections between the motor and the controller and they show good (halls, hall power and one phase have been soldered over time). I am still getting a small single clicking sound out of the motor when the throttle is engaged

For all intensive purposes, the motor seems to be testing correctly. Still getting 0 to 5V and back off of the hall wires, When I hook any two phase wires together and spin the wheel I can produce voltage measured in ac which I believe indicates that those wires are intact, and I am getting consistent resistance across each phase. The resistance is very low, like .2 but I think that is normal for the motor but I need to look that up and check.

I think this is kind of leaves the controller as my culprit. I don't know how to test to see if it is working properly. I will have to try to search for that later tonight or in the morning when I have more time and can get in to it some more. If any one has a link showing how to see if a controller is working properly, please do post.

jateureka said:

Thank you my friend, just what I needed! The fete on the positive side of green wire is showing short. Am going to go for the fete replacement myself. I have a friend who does audio work and said he would give me a hand getting it off the board. I'll start searching but does any one know a good tutorial for this off hand? I have the screw out of the fete but I have never removed an item from a board and soldered one back on before.

Also, where can I buy a replacement, here state side preferably. It is the standard 9c motor kit and the numbers I found on the board are EB 777 xc and 7.829.00 A1

Thanks again for the tip Jateureka.

Back