Help unlocking speed limiter on my Elo ride

This is my first time posting and hey to all. I am in need of an electrical wiz to help me out unlocking the speed of my elo ride. Very pleased with it but would love more down low torque and speed! :)

What I got so far is a mail from the costumer support hinting at the speed being locked at controller level, so I opened up the controller and, WELL.

The entire board is caulked with silicone, so I'm rolling in the deep here. I tried cutting a purple and red wire because they seemed sus, but it only stopped the throttle from working. Will reattach with limited soldering skill but shouldn't be a problem.

All and any help appricated! I have caused enough damage as is. :)

https://media.motorsweden.se/wysiwyg/manual/ELO-BIKE-eng-V2203_4.pdf (MANUAL for bike if needed.)

controller (This is the controller.)

Elo Bike | Elscootern som förenklar & gör pendlingen billigare (Official website.)

Also moderators, feel free to move my post as see fit should I have posted in the wrong corner of the internet. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20240208_105956818.jpg
    IMG_20240208_105956818.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240208_110149902.jpg
    IMG_20240208_110149902.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240208_110203807.jpg
    IMG_20240208_110203807.jpg
    875 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240208_110214645.jpg
    IMG_20240208_110214645.jpg
    896.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240208_124507281.jpg
    IMG_20240208_124507281.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240208_124516332.jpg
    IMG_20240208_124516332.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240208_124526933.jpg
    IMG_20240208_124526933.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
You might derestrict the top speed, but it's highly unlikely that you can get any more starting torque without replacing the controller and perhaps also the battery. There's almost no chance that the bike is dialing back controller current, and current is what dictates torque.

What did it say?
It's in swede but translated with google:

"Thank you for your message and it is good to hear that you are happy with your Elo bike.
Modifying the bike in a way that makes it illegal can not only be dangerous, but also void the warranty.
Unfortunately, we do not have a known solution to trim these. They are throttled via the control box."

You might derestrict the top speed, but it's highly unlikely that you can get any more starting torque without replacing the controller and perhaps also the battery.
Hm, even though it's a gearless hub motor torque won't increase? That is disappointing then, but no point in stopping this project now :D

Hm, even though it's a gearless hub motor torque won't increase? That is disappointing then, but no point in stopping this project now :D
Well, if your battery will support higher current, then you can replace the controller and get both of the things you want.

Well, if your battery will support higher current, then you can replace the controller and get both of the things you want.
The battery is 48v 10,4Ah, restricted to 19kmph/11,8mph to fit with restrictions in EU. Heck, if it did ride in 25kmph/15,5mph I wouldn't even bother. But 19 seems low in my opinion. Especially on longer trips.

Also I'm not so sure it's as easy to just buy a chinese generic controller, if you see on the pictures it has all kinds of plugs and it's own setup. Never seen it before 🤪

Last edited:
It's in swede but translated with google:

"Thank you for your message and it is good to hear that you are happy with your Elo bike.
Modifying the bike in a way that makes it illegal can not only be dangerous, but also void the warranty.
Unfortunately, we do not have a known solution to trim these. They are throttled via the control box."
What did you ask them? The last two sentences make no sense without context.

What did you ask them? The last two sentences make no sense without context.
That I can't answer word by word, because they have a ticket system on their website so you just recieve the mail. But I asked as implied, "is there a known way to trim the Elo ride?". I think I even asked so bluntly as: "How do I make it illegal", when I think of it.

Obviously they aren't allowed I can imagine to completely answer this, but that mail was the closest thing to an answer I ever got from them. "They are throttled via the control box". So I assumed that meant physically on the controller.

Last edited:
That I can't answer word by word, because they have a ticket system on their website so you just recieve the mail. But I asked as implied, "is there a known way to trim the Elo ride?". I think I even asked so bluntly as: "How do I make it illegal", when I think of it.

Obviously they aren't allowed I can imagine to completely answer this, but that mail was the closest thing to an answer I ever got from them. "They are throttled via the control box". So I assumed that meant physically on the controller.
What speed does the wheel spin at when lifted off the ground? If it’s faster than when riding it, then it’s not restricted.

What speed does the wheel spin at when lifted off the ground? If it’s faster than when riding it, then it’s not restricted.
It's at full stop 19kmph, doesn't even dither. Both off and on ground. Unless the rider is very heavy of course. In that case you will be riding at lower top speed.

I'm not sure what to expect if I do successfully unlock it, it has 250wattage motor, 21A controller and a 48volts 10,4Ah battery.
The manual says 25kmph top speed and that could very well be max, but 25 sure beats 19. So it will be worth it to me if someone manages to deduct the wiring. Could also serve as a guide for other people buying the Elo bike. (y)

Last edited:
Saw this video:

Here it looks like the bike (although I have a scooter of different brand) has a pin connector to the motor like my scooter. Could one of the pins on my connector be a limiter like in the video? How can I know which one?

Attachments

• PinConnectorMotor.jpg
    PinConnectorMotor.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
After a few attempts of cutting wires, soldering didn't seem to keep the controller going anymore, it's bottched. So this attempt is conlcuded. Taking the L and buying a new controller and sticking with the 19kmph. Sucks but is what it is.

What I have learned is that it's none of the SMALL WIRES leading to the MOTOR(the big ones I'm assuming is power related), nor is it the PURPLE or RED wire twined together, these are the throttle.

Definetly post here if someone somehow do figure out the asnwerr to unlocking the speed limiter of the Elo bike. I didn't learn much from my own attempt.

I tried cutting a purple and red wire because they seemed sus, but it only stopped the throttle from working. Will reattach with limited soldering skill but shouldn't be a problem.
After a few attempts of cutting wires, soldering didn't seem to keep the controller going anymore, it's bottched. So this attempt is conlcuded.

What I have learned is that it's none of the SMALL WIRES leading to the MOTOR(the big ones I'm assuming is power related), nor is it the PURPLE or RED wire twined together, these are the throttle.
You may have missed a lesson, as evidenced by your first and last post. Cutting and connecting wires randomly will eventually lead to a dead controller or worse. And by messing with and switching around with the hall sensor wires going to the motor, you could have fried the hall sensors as well, so you may have a bigger project ahead of you.

You may have missed a lesson, as evidenced by your first and last post. Cutting and connecting wires randomly will eventually lead to a dead controller or worse. And by messing with and switching around with the hall sensor wires going to the motor, you could have fried the hall sensors as well, so you may have a bigger project ahead of you.
I am indeed worried about this, yes. Moral of this story is it seems like a bad idea. Probably. Hopefully a new controller will fix. Help me lord if not.

Search on hall sensor testing on the forum and test before connecting up a new controller.
Done some research, seems somewhat complicated gotta open the motor and stuff but doable. Might aswell learn it. However, care to explain how the hall sensor may damage the controller? And if so should it happen, is the controller fixable?

Back