Dillenger Conversion Kit | 250w | 36v | 10Ah

Good work. I assume the speed control block is at the base of the battery cradle, and that black round tube in the first pic, is where the battery plugs in.
Hope that fixes your pulsing issue, as your test this morning is proving . Will recheck this thread in weeks to come, to check your progress and whether that fixed your pulsing issues or whether it is something else, like the hub's hall effect sensor.
Yes, what is the point of having a nylon lock nut, when the bolt is too short. Good to hear your solution was low cost.

Solarbike have a locking nut on the end of the cable battery connector, which maintains an good electical connection, but makes changing the battery a bit fiddly.

Good to know I have the option of fitting PAS to LHS with spilt PAS.

Yesterday, broke a 245mm 13 gauge spoke on my Solarbike front hub. First one, and I didn't have any spares in that size. They seem hard to come by in that size and thickness, but found a chinese ebay seller who has them in packs of 36 for $9 :) Just have to wait a few weeks for shipping. A MTB rim with a Dillenger hub would require even shorter spokes. Front spokes get a workout with the hub and disc brakes pulling in either direction.

"Block" and "black round tube" assumptions correct on both counts.

The front hub is working but having 3KG extra of sophisticated electronics / magnets on the front with no suspension
is asking for trouble and limits the kerb-jumping confidence IMHO.

I'm tempted by the mid-drive Bafang BBS02 / 48v 14AHr setup. That, coupled with just a 7 or 9 speed rear cluster and single 48 tooth front chainwheel
might offer the best compromise between cost, efficiency and speed. It also locates the bike mass more centrally which is better all-round for handling / comfort.

Still, the Dillenger kit is pretty well-sorted for a plug and play set-up. I'll run it for a while until the 40Kmh top end novelty wears off.

No worries Sam, happy to help any business intent on helping our poor suffering planet.

48 Drive
With the 48T chainwheel the comfortable top-speed hits a dizzy 37kmh ;0)
The power cuts out beyond that.

So it's better, but not by much.

Anyone know how to hack the controller to remove the speed limit?

Interesting to see what kmh you can get on your de-restricted 250W kit. My 200W feels like it is running out of puff around 36kmh and not a sudden cutoff, so assume the winding/internal gearing are what is limiting the speed on mine. Windings are a compromise between torque for the hills, and power for top speeds on the flats.
My controller box is silicon sealed for waterproofing, otherwise I'd be curious to open it up to see if there is anything tweakable.

When I have to run without assistance, up any incline, it feels like the brakes are on, even on a bike without a kit. Result, my heart gets a hard workout. When I get assistance back, it's like heaven, so the e-novelty never wears off for me.

That Bafang 500W crank motor would be good on the hills around Launceston.
I tested rode a crank motor ebike (Aseako), and didn't like the effect of more stress on the driveline, with cruncher gear changes. Prefer the front hub, as this takes some strain off the chain/gears.
I should ride a better quality crank motor ebike to see if they are any better. A decent long front mudguard would help keep all the mud/water off a crank motor, but high logs humps on mtb trails could do damage.

Did a temp fix for the short broken spoke. I took a longer spoke and bent it to size, with the excess bending right around on itself, and under a neigboring spoke, so there is less chance of it popping back out. The spoke took decent tensioning without issue. So avoided going without assistance until I get my hands on the replacement spokes.

Hi Merrystein,
That sounds like a solid "McGyver" fix.

As for my bike, I'm enjoying the commute. The weather has been great lately which helps.

There's a couple of intersections on my commute that aren't bike friendly and prior to electric muscles I
always felt like a burden on the traffic; the mums and dads with kids off to school, the trucks, everyone rushing to work,
so without electric I was always slow to start off at one intersection since it's slight uphill.

But now, it's a breeze, I find myself having to drop back a bit from the car in front. It's much safer for that intersection and I feel
less guilty for holding anyone up.

HI Byebyepetrol,
Followed your build. Thanks for the detail-really helps! From Melbourne here. Newbie @ the electric bike world :) and looking to use a similar kit to commute.
So, am I right in guessing that if you put your kit on a 700c tyre the hub should still spin at the same speed(rpm)-but now you have a larger diameter so MIGHT be able to get 39-40km/hr?

These maximum speeds are important to me as i have a 41 km commute, only few hills. I need to get to work on a daily basis in a timely manner. 2hrs each day on the bike is enough/max for me!
I thought i solved the problem with the 1000w 10amp 48V model from Dillenger. Easily this model/kit can take me to work with pedal assist or without. But in the back of my mind I am worried about the secret electric bike police sneaking out onto the bike paths and arresting me for an illegal road rig!!! But more seriously, if i can get what I need from a 250W rig then I get a stealthier rig- virtual invisible hub; smaller battery; less weight- and legal on roads (10% of journey on roads, rest on bike paths).
Have you tested you rig on your 700c bikes yet?
thx again for your posts

Dillenger_Australia said:
Thanks for the feedback in this thread. We're currently in the process of building our next lot of kits in this format so everything mentioned is perfect input for us.

Any other comments and feedback is welcome.

Bike looks awesome!

Cheers,

Sam

I have some feedback.

I bought a 48v 1000w rear wheel kit a few months ago. The communication was excellent and the kit was delivered with no hassles
I bought the kit without a battery as I had a 48v battery from another bike to use.

A while after the purchase I was emailed from Dillenger and told I could go into a draw to win a similar kit. The only requirement was to submit a testimonial.
Anyone not winning a kit would receive a tyre repair kit.

As I was happy with the kit I had installed I decided to accept and submit an honest and flattering testimonial for Dillenger.

Several weeks passed and no news from Dillenger so I figured I hadn't won a free kit but wondered where my tyre repair kit was.
I do not need a tyre repair kit ( I run marathons anyway) but it was the principle of the pledge to give a gift in return for a testimonial

I was amazed that my email was not answered! This made me quite irate and then decided that I would email them ( Sam) again and this time to request to have my testimonial removed. To date I have not had a reply and my testimonial has not been removed

This is a shame because I have 7 electric bikes and would like to install their kit on a couple more of these bikes but I just cannot do it after this rather disappointing outcome.

Cheers,
Tony.

Hi Tony,
re: Testimonial promo; give Sam at Dillenger a ring, he'll sort it out I expect.
Your 1KW system sounds interesting, how's it go?

Beemo: you'd have to ask Dillenger on that one. I have a hunch the system output is speed limited based on rate of wheel rotation.
If this is the case then the larger the wheel the more likely you are to surpass expected speeds. At the expense of motor efficiency.

I found with my rig, swapping from a 44 to 48 tooth chainwheel "bogged it down" where the motor output seemed to fall slightly compared to the 44.
It's OK while on the flat or with a tailwind but any hill or headwind requires me to change 1 or 2 cogs to keep the motor in the "sweet spot".

On a roadie with relatively high tyre pressures and subsequent lower rolling resistance this might not be such an issue.

On my next bike I'd most likely get a Bafang BBS01 (350w) mid-drive for the more efficient 15:1 reduction.

Still, I'm pretty happy with the 250w front hub system for now. Your 41km commute makes mine look feeble. I'll never complain again.

byebyepetrol said:
Hi Tony,
re: Testimonial promo; give Sam at Dillenger a ring, he'll sort it out I expect.
Your 1KW system sounds interesting, how's it go?
I have sent him 2 emails and he has not responded so I figure he doesn't want to bother with a problem. I would love to hear from others who submitted a testimonial as to whether they got the free gift. I would really like to hear from anyone who got a free kit.

The 1KW kit goes very well I have to say. It is quite powerful and very "stealthy". I do not have any instrumentation but this set up on the Lee Iacocca bike with a 10ah Lion battery goes further than any of my other bikes.

665km and counting...

The 250w kit continues to perform admirably getting me to and from work without fuss. The pulsing has almost gone;
on rare occasions it seems that the PAS isn't registering and provides very little assistance as if it was set to "3" on the dial.
A reset fixes it every time. I run it at maximum assist.

The 10Ahr pack is a wise choice for this distance. One day I had to duck into town at lunch to get supplies
which made the total day mileage close to 32km all-up in strong winds and 8 hills. The pack from full charge was almost spent
on the last stretch home.

Without electric muscles I probably wouldn't be here right now.

Bigger Battery Bottle is Better
With the intention of doing some touring on an electric bike I'd be tempted to get the biggest bottle battery pack available.
10Ahr = 60km , so 14-15 should get around 80km (assuming no trailer and current parasitic drag / friction / rolling resistance losses).

A mate of mine has gone and bought the same set-up so he can commute by bike as well.
His commute is 13km there, 13 km back.

Schwalbe Marathon Green Guard 1.8cm front tyre is on order which should reduce rolling resistance a lot. Ok not a huge amount but
every little bit helps.

Sorry I've come in a bit late. I've just seen your pedal sensor installation, which is a nice creative solution, but I've now found another way to do it, which is much easier if you have a 68mm BB (which most are).

Move the sensor to the other side of its bracket so that it reaches further forward.
The BB has spacers behind the bearing holders to adapt it from 73mm to 68mm. remove the spacers to get the clearance you need for the magnet disc.
Install the BB without the other internal plastic spacer.
Drill a 25mm hole in the magnet disc.
Assemble it all together on the left side with the magnet disc flipped (opposite direction to arrow) so that it operates in the correct direction of pedalling.

It's complicated to write, but basically is drill one hole and re-position one screw, then assemble.

Rubber fetishists form a queue to the left...

24.jpg

This should reduce rolling resistance by at lest 4.23 %

Chain Reaction Cycles $33 AUD delivered. Surprisingly cheap.

Tyre Wrestling
Tried to fit it again in the morning with detergent / warm water which normally works a treat but not this time.

Gave up and took it to Ian at "Sprung" for professional help.
He did a better job thanks to a Park Tool tyre wrangler (not sure of the exact terminology) and he wrestled with it.

Still didn't want to fit but ridable. Anyone else had trouble with a tyre not fitting properly?

25.jpg

26.jpg

Even if it hasn't fitted perfectly, the new front tyre makes riding far more pleasant.
Rolling resistance is lower and the centre bead and smaller contact patch makes the steering far more lively.
Traction is not as good but I ride mostly on bitumen.

Weight-wise it's a bit heavier than the Racing Ralph it replaced but I'm guessing the smaller inner tube compensates.

Just out of interest I weighed the bike using digital fish scales: 39.5lbs or 17.92Kg.

28.jpg

Threw some new disc pads on the front and ran it for a day with them dragging on the disc and it savaged the top speed from 37-40
to 34 at a comfortable pedal rate.

Next day adjusted them to minimise drag and presto! Almost 40kmh on the flat with a quartering tail-wind.

Took guilty pleasure in dispatching a lycra on the way to work. Poor bugger; I feel a bit guilty doing it. He didn't get a draft either as we were going up
a steep short hill.

byebyepetrol said:
Just out of interest I weighed the bike using digital fish scales: 39.5lbs or 17.92Kg.

Sounds a bit "fishy" to me

Took guilty pleasure in dispatching a lycra on the way to work. Poor bugger; I feel a bit guilty doing it. He didn't get a draft either as we were going up
a steep short hill.

My favourite sport....overtaking lycras on long steep hills...lol.

...while towing a trailer, texting, taking a latte, reading the dailies and having breakfast ;0)

Stealth Mode
Replaced worn squeaky rattler chain with new SRAM |$39AUD.
No more squeaking. The only noise now is the mild hum from the motor, the disc pads and the girly giggles.

One of which will have to be addressed.

29.jpg

tonyontopofabighill said:
I have sent him 2 emails and he has not responded so I figure he doesn't want to bother with a problem. I would love to hear from others who submitted a testimonial as to whether they got the free gift. I would really like to hear from anyone who got a free kit.

Their customer service SUCKS........... You wanted feedback right SAM

I'd just like to hear from someone after I sent them a handfull of emails AFTER making a $250 part deposit on a kit 2 weeks ago and they're not getting another cent until they respond :evil:

Rang them yesterday, no answer. Rang the business next door and they said Dillenger moved out before Christmas.

Why they're so secretive about they're new business address and phone number is infuriating.......... Hellllllllo SAM

Their facebook page was updated/edited yesterday mind you and appears now they have an affiliation with a mob in Brisbane called Jube Customs ( bikes ).

Anyway folks, sorry for the rant as I'm a tad cranky with them at the moment.

Hi Hombre,
Welcome to Endless Sphere.

Re: No Communication
Sorry to to hear you can't get in touch with Dillenger.

Which email address are you using?

Contact details for Dillenger:
https://www.facebook.com/Dillengerelectricbikes/info

sam@dillenger.com.au

Weighed the battery : a tad over 3Kg. Roll on Lithium Air batteries!
They're coming but globally I expect there's warehouses full of the old battery tech inventory to get rid of first.

30.jpg

New Crud Catcher mudguards; designed / made in the UK and recommended. They're superlight.

31.jpg

32.jpg

byebyepetrol said:
Hi Hombre,
Welcome to Endless Sphere.

Re: No Communication
Sorry to to hear you can't get in touch with Dillenger.

Which email address are you using?

Contact details for Dillenger:
https://www.facebook.com/Dillengerelectricbikes/info

sam@dillenger.com.au

Thanks for the welcome.

These are the addresses I'm using........ sam@dillenger.com.au - info@dillenger.com.au - sales@dillenger.com.au

And don't be sorry I can't get in touch with them because I can, it's them who won't get in touch with me.

It's been 3 weeks since my last batch of emails so I guess I'll send off another lot :x

Those crud catchers are the shizzle and I need to source some locally for if or when I get this damn kit because I'm sure my travelling distances will be further.

I thought you were cracking a funny one with 'Lithium Air batteries' :lol: but thought I'd better search and whalla, there they are, awesome technology.
Lithium-air batteries have the potential of 5–15 times the energy density of current lithium-ion batteries :shock:
Excuse me now while I fantasize about a 3000w behemoth :mrgreen:

Dillenger Update.........

Good news today with contact with Dillenger via emails on numerous occasions so I'm happy for now and been told that a new shipment of stock is 2.5 weeks away.

2.5 I can handle....... No response to an email I can't so all good at the minute.

My hub motor ( brushless ) will be on the front and easy to deal with and are totally serviceable yourself if inclined.

Hi Hombre,
Glad you got a response from them. Hope you enjoy your kit when it arrives. If you need a hand with anything feel free to chime in here.

1000KM Report
1015km to be correct. Mostly commuting to from work and quick trips to my mates' places around town. The weather has been kind. It's Autumn
here and winds haven't kicked-in yet.

System is performing without problems; the charger/ battery / motor / display / throttle / cabling / battery mounts are all AOK.

Improvements Wish List
Higher top-speed! On the flat I get to 37kmh (with wind assistance) and that's it. Coasting down steep grades can exceed that but you can
sense there's a strong resistance when you exceed 37kmh. I want it unlimited, unshackled. Sheesh, I go much faster on my roadie so why the
limiter?

I shall have to ask around as to how to delimit it and make it more usable.

Back