Disc brake sprocket combo #35

polynoth

10 mW
I found a disc brake and sprocket combo for a #35 chain . I dream about this for more standard chains but am considering trying this on my next build for a left side mid drive im working on. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Bike-REAR-CALIPER-BRAKE-Kit-FOR-35-SPROCKETS-WITH-WELD-TABS-FREE-SHiP-/131305930796

Use a sealed chain. It has O-rings around each chain link pin, and a smear of grease inside. Not only does it eliminate the weekly cleaning and re-lubing of the chain, it also keeps out the sand and grit that wears down the rubbing metal parts.

Any common lube on the chain can be flung about and dripped to make the disc slippery, and then saturating the brake pads.

I personally don't like o-ring chains except on street motorcycles that do significant mileage. More complicated, more expensive, and more drag. Non o-ring chains last a long time with maintenance and they're easy to clean with a power washer. Don't powerwash your o-ring chain!

Use chain WAX instead of regular lube is also the way to go. Will reduce cleanup and maintenance. I like Maxima brand.

Sprotors!

When they do it on motorcycles, they call it a Sprotor. But the brake caliper has to be built to reach further around than normal. Regardless of the chain type, it's going to contaminate the sprocket teeth with dirt. So the brake needs to miss the teeth completely and bite the pad further down on the rotor.

That link looks like that's just a common scooter brake, with the pad landing on the teeth. it will quickly get contaminated pads, then eat the sprocket, lock up, jam, slip, chatter and pulse, wear out, and suck.

you can see it in this pic that the real thing bites the rotor about 1/8th an inch below the teeth.
sprotor.jpg

spinningmagnets said:
Use a sealed chain. It has O-rings around each chain link pin, and a smear of grease inside. Not only does it eliminate the weekly cleaning and re-lubing of the chain, it also keeps out the sand and grit that wears down the rubbing metal parts.

Any common lube on the chain can be flung about and dripped to make the disc slippery, and then saturating the brake pads.
Thanks Ron! Yeah, I had thought about that. I am having second thoughts about that exact setup, but am considering similar options.

Back