DIY 52V Jumbo Shark/ Hailong-3 Packs

titusmc

100 W
Hi everyone -

I recently bought 2 Hailong-3 cases from AliExpress and 70 cells each of Samsung 30Q and Sony VTC5A from nkon.nl. I'd like to make my own 52V (14S5P) packs with them. I have a spot welder and pure nickel strip, but I'm not quite sure what cell layout to use.

I know lunacycle has fit 70 cells into these cases somehow, but can anyone share the secret?

My goal is to use these batteries with a BBSHD, so 30A discharge.

eTrike said:
Luna's batteries were poorly built and came from a generic Chinese company. I think I can find a link with a picture, but you'll want to build better than their design if you want better performance and long term reliability. Pics below. Good luck with your build!

Yes, please post a picture. Worth 1000 words. If there is a problem with the design, I would want to see it first hand.

There have been a couple of disastrous looking battery fires reported in the past couple months involving 18650 packs (none of these were Luna packs). A Lipo I would expect, but cylindrical cells should be more resistant to catastrophic failure. Since the packs burnt up so badly, we may never know the exact cause but it would be important to know.

I'm on the same path as you, planning a 14S4P (LUNA Shark Pack) when my frame arrives, so possibly a 14S5P (LUNA Jumbo Shark Pack) might fit it as well.
Once I figure out what the largest pack that fits into the bikes triangle, I will source my Sanyo 18650GA's from FastTech, genuine item, but still haven't located a quality source fro a BMS. I got my .015*8*100's from suplier at aliex that I got my spot welder from.

They cram extra batteries into the packs by not using the internal battery holder, and hot glueing them together. This can cause a problem when having to remove defective cells as to have to split the whole thing apart. Hot glue is easily separated with Methyl Hydrate, as sometimes the plastic wrap will tear on the one next to it, causing the need for it to be replaced as well.

The good thing here is that 18650's are the same width as a dime and using dime tubes as a sleeve will allow for individual cell to be replaced easily.

One of the things I learnt from reading here is the strips actually should be referred to as a BUS, just like on a power supply panel. Build to allow for proper current flow, and over build to prevent heat from building up on BUS lines that restrict current flow.

The bottom pack in the picture supplied by eTrike looks good, I would follow that build.

I found the following images on batterybuilding.com.

20161214-212845500.png

20161214-212929449.png

I'm planning to glue together a pack with this layout using dead cells and see if it fits with the BMS I have.

So, I glued together 70 dead cells as shown in the picture I posted before, but that doesn't fit in the case. I've tried every orientation I can think of. :(

Back