Do many of you use Golden Motor?

The magic pie is their best motor. Don't order the one with the internal controller though, it's junk.

I started out with a 500W from them. It's still running gave it to my brother after 4+K and built bike 2. I had troubles with their regen controllers but most likely it was the batteries, bought them elsewhere, fault. Slow service, like most China stuff, but everything else was reasonable.

I had two kits One for my wife the other mine. One 750w, the second 500w. We had them for more than 3 years. Sadly bikes were stolen from my house. Insurance paid over 1800 for the loss. Now bought an used E-bike with a 750 watt golden motor in it..

No problem back then and no problems now

I had a magic pie 2 and two magic pie 3's in the last few years. The magic pie 2 worked great, though I didn't use it that often. One magic pie 3 had the controller die after 2 weeks, but the other has been going strong to this day. The controllers are simply a crapshoot. The motors are very strong though :)

I've got a magic pie 2 rear wheel kit with internal controller. Done about 1000 kilometers so far and I like it.
It is easy and "clean" to install because if the internal controller, less wires than exsternal controller.
The build quality of the internal controller is not good at all.

There are a lot of modifications for the controller in this forum to make it durable and powerful. Thanks for that.

Most important:
- add "thermal grease" (the white creamy stuff) to the fets AND to the aluminium cooling plate where it is connected to the stator
- improve the pcb where high currents flow (from and to the fets and capacitors)
- have an eye on the soldering of the whole controller board, resolder when necessary
- get the lastest build of the "cruise controller" software, build 282higher (higher current limit and more possibilities of adjustment)

I replaced the two "main" capacitors with higher grade ones (they can stand now 80v and 125°c) and doubled their capacity.
With my DIY LiMn battery (14s5p samsung icr18650) its doing 1500w peak. The limit in my build is the battery :D
Out of the box it only made about 700w.
Did not touch the shunt yet.

I too have a GM motor, the PRO 901 48v 1kw hub motor (yescom and various others), and it has performed pretty well and the controller also seems to be a good unit so far. It just seems to me that most conversion kits have shoddy controllers at best with a few non withstanding. After reading that GMs internal controllers arent up to par, Im having second thoughts about getting the smart pie over e-bikekits geared motor all because of the controller. And with their 500w geared kit being pushed back til June of this year, Im seriously looking at BMC/MAC once again. Even eZee's kit is a thought for purchase although $750 is high priced too for a budget. I even seen that Amped has a geared motor as well so thats yet another choice. I just want a good torque motor thats very reliable and can go 30 - 35 mph when needed and wont break the dwindling bank.

I had a gm external controller die, replaced fets then had it die again but this time it blew smt parts and trace off the board. I talked to a sales chap from the china website he sent me an internal to replaces it for just the shipping cost. Had to relocate components to other side of the pcb and drill the controller case to accommodate snubber caps ( they were bigger than ones on the external version ) but its still working. pretty happy with them but I guess everybody has their own experiences.

I'm also interested in the Magic Pie 3, 48V - 1000W rear kit. Does anyone have this exact wheel / kit and what was your experience.

I can appreciate that some of you had some failures and that you would think that the integrated controller may be a bad idea, however, did you overvolt or otherwise stress it to the point of failure somehow. I would like to get some feedback on this this.

I've pretty much narrowed my choices for my first build to either this or a crystalyte brute kit from the electricrider guys in TX.

We had only problems with MP3. After less than 1000 km it was over. Controller was burned down and somehow rotor was loosen. Don´t buy this sh*t.
Buy crystalyte!

My Magic Pie 3 died after one test run.
The internal controller broke.

So i replaced it for external Kellycontroller.
Well the controller is still working the bearings of the motor are almost dead.
So after some miles I have replaced the bearings.

Bad...luck the hall sensors died.
But I couldn't opened the motor, the big bearing axle is corroded.
While attempting to open the motor, the stator broke.....

Make your decision....... :lol:

I do the MP3 wheel was wonky right out of the box with a 1/4 inch up and down wobble. then the rim cracked. Now my internal controller died wont respond with the usb hook up no beep, dead with 560 miles on it. Need help with this 1 I made a ticket for it.

VelvetPower said:
I'm also interested in the Magic Pie 3, 48V - 1000W rear kit. Does anyone have this exact wheel / kit and what was your experience.

I can appreciate that some of you had some failures and that you would think that the integrated controller may be a bad idea, however, did you overvolt or otherwise stress it to the point of failure somehow. I would like to get some feedback on this this.

I've pretty much narrowed my choices for my first build to either this or a crystalyte brute kit from the electricrider guys in TX.

Close to 900 miles on mine now with no problems. I planned on replacing the internal controller with a larger external one when I bought it. Though so far no controller problems or any problems.

I have had several kits. Quality control is not good, but i got all problems solved. The controllers external and internal are pants. My pie mk2 now runs sensorless with thicker phase wires and did away with the hall sensors and use and 12 fet lyens sensorless controller. The pie itself is very very robust. If nothing else i learned a lot about ebike maintenance and repair and wheel building from using their products, so something good did come out of it. The thing i don't like a out the pie is the weight and the windings for off roading, but other than that the way i have it now is pretty bomb proof and use at 2000 watts on steep trails.

Seem to have heard from a lot of people with bad bearings. Not so hard to fix if you catch it sooner, and I doubt that every motor rolling out has the issue.

I have never liked the idea of the internal controller, not for my desert climate anyway.

But lots of people are putting lots of miles on the Yes kit, which apparently is GM, or from the same factory. We just never hear from those happy people much.

But if you are buying in the sub $300 USA price range, how much can you complain if you aren't one of the luckier ones?

I have a fairly old GM hub, still running strong after a few thousand miles of hard use. They just dont like anything over 72v 35a for too long...or else you'll lose the halls.

prove your GM hub with a pic = date stamped June/2009 #382
IMG_2368.JPG

Hell yeah, shitloads of them still running after many years. But they, along with the similar 9c and muxus motors, will heat up fast on 3000w. VERY hard to kill one with 1500w or less.

skeetab5780 said:
I have a fairly old GM hub, still running strong after a few thousand miles of hard use. They just dont like anything over 72v 35a for too long...or else you'll lose the halls.

prove your GM hub with a pic = date stamped June/2009 #382
IMG_2368.JPG

Ya my plan when I go external controller is to upgrade the halls at the same time.

Back