Drewjet's Mountain bike w/3220 Astro 5000W Build Thread

Thanks guys. I have another trail close to the house. It is a much more technical trail, hopefully I can get there soon. Plus there is the road construction area. I also have seen another area a bit further from the house but haven't actuall been to it yet.

D, I will get there, got to let me work my way up to that kind of jumping. I hit that jump once before with a hub motored cheap mongoose dual suspension bike. I hit it faster and at a bit of an angle, it was a blast.

I do still have a few issues. One is my belt is starting to slip. This is my fault. I didn't read thoroughly about how much power the belt could take. According to Matt he says it is good up to 6000 watts. Damn, I must be pushing more than that! I am ordering a belt with a few less teeth in an attempt to be able to solve this, if not, I will switch it over to chain from Matt. Matt has been very helpful.

I also need to modify my lower downtube/seat tube mount as the angle is off a bit and is wearing the front 219 sprocket.

I am still not happy with my throttle. I definitely don't like the full twist. I have the finger throttle right now, but due to the brake/shifter in the way it is backwards and must be operated by thumb. I like this except that you aren't using your thumb to hold onto the handle bars, which is unsafe with this amount of power. I am going to remove the brake/shifter and replace with a brake only, since the shifter is not used, then I should be able to rotate the finger throttle around to the front.

How are you enjoying that total drive system isolation all at the rear wheel? :p :) :D

I am glad to see another RC bike in use. :)

The belt drive has been good for 6kw on my bike consistantly. However, some of that depends on the motor tooth count.

Anyway, a chain will take whatever you can throw at it. There is just a bit more sound associated with it. It is no biggie. I can swap out your parts.

Matt

recumpence said:
The belt drive has been good for 6kw on my bike consistantly. However, some of that depends on the motor tooth count.

Anyway, a chain will take whatever you can throw at it. There is just a bit more sound associated with it. It is no biggie. I can swap out your parts.

Matt

Agreed, a belt can make good power but it can't really make high torque like a chain can. On my scooter, the belt starts to skip at about 1.5 kW at startup. :( (However, when the motor's going a bit faster at, say, 20 mph it has no problems with 2 kw so it can potentially be a good fast hill climber, but that's just a bit complex to implement.)

Well I finally got my belt replaced with a chain. All slipping issues are gone! It is a bit noisier, but not horrible. I also changed the gearing a bit. I upped the top speed in Delta to about 31 MPH hot off the charger and 20 in Y. Still wheelies on command. There is virtually no speed loss up hills. The steepest hill around here is maybe 10% for about 200 feet and the speed only drops about 1 MPH going up that.

The finger throttle has been excellent. It allows very precise control over the power and I can still wrap my thumb around the handlebar and feel secure on the bike. I have spent some time on the trails with it today and it is awesome. I love the power. I really don't think I need any more speed, really the only thing I could wish for was a rear suspension.

D hurry up and get yours done! I wanna see a bad ass RC Full Suspension Machine.

Drew,

Build has come out very nice! I am doing somthing similar with a single stage reduction and planning to move the drive reduction between a 26" Hard Rock Pro and a 26" Jack.

Very nice work!

-Mike

Thanks, I posted the pics in another thread, but I guess I should add them here also.

Attachments

• Specialized after.jpg
    Specialized after.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,991
  • Specialized after 1.jpg
    Specialized after 1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,991
Drew - what are the DB9 style connectors on the side of your batt box for? -Mike

I use an FMA Balance Pro charger for charging. It does 6S. Each plug is a blance tap to the 2 6S Turnigy 5000 MAH packs. I have no onboard BMS, but I do balance charge each and every time I charge.

These are the same balance taps and configuration as my motorcycle and other bikes.

The switch next to them is the Delta Wye switcher, a 3pDt switch and alo a 150 Amp aircraft circuit breaker.

drewjet said:
I use an FMA Balance Pro charger for charging. It does 6S. Each plug is a blance tap to the 2 6S Turnigy 5000 MAH packs. I have no onboard BMS, but I do balance charge each and every time I charge.

These are the same balance taps and configuration as my motorcycle and other bikes.

The switch next to them is the Delta Wye switcher, a 3pDt switch and alo a 150 Amp aircraft circuit breaker.

I am assuming you have two packs in parallel and then two more in series? Is there any special stuff needed to do this or can you simply wire them together? Could you use more than two packs in parallel, like three for 15AH? Thanks for the help! Killer bike!

You are correct 2 of the 6S 5000 Mah packs in series and 2 in parallel.

There is no limit to the amount you can put in series or parallel.

I made 2 harnesses up that using the balance taps put 2 in Parallel and also the 9 pin connector so I could hook up mycharger. I tyhen took the now 6S2P packs and using the main discharge leads put them in parallel and series. make sure the main wires and balance wires that are paralleled are from the same pack or you get KFF.

I will try to pull off the cover and take pics when I get a chance.

Drew

AHH, I think I understand, but a pic or two would be VERY nice indeed!

I blew my second Turnigy 100 Amp controller. Time to stop messing about and upgrade to a Castle. I had a Castle 110HV, but really wanted the 160...so...$280 later I have it in. I just came back from a test ride and Ice cold on a few miles of Full throttle Delta. However where the Turnigy got warm was doing slower part throttle trails riding. No time for that today, but in the next few days hopefully.

Here are a few pics of the inside while I had it open.

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

I posted on you tube a helmet cam video

[youtube]7r8OO3PTO2U[/youtube]

It is PRODUCT ID: TR800-NM

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=13987&Product_Name=Turnigy_30FPS_Ultra-Mini_DigiCam_(without_memory_card)

Cool vid, how did you mount it to your helmet? Can you buy mounts for these cameras?

I just bought a gopro Hero ( non HD) and it seems to be about the same quality picture, however it cost me $90 used but it has a waterproof/shockproof case. :p $12 is a freakin bargain, you could go through 6 of these before really feeling bad about breaking em. GoPro also has a wider angle lens to make it appear as though I'm going faster. :wink:

It comes with the mounts. I just screwed one onto the visor of my BMX helemt. It works quite well and the quality can't be beat for $12.

I added another video today. This is one from some trials near my house. I show some street riding at the begining, mostly in Delta, top speed around 32 MPH, then wye on the trails showing the excelent control of this setup.

[youtube]pVgJ0onzflA[/youtube]

Hi drewjet,

Awesome bike. Can you give us a few more details o your trigger throttle. Where did you get it? What mods were needed to have it playing nice with the servo tester?

Cheers, Adrian

Thanks, This is the post that has info on the throttle http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8026

I only took it apart and remeshed the gears and it works fine for me.

Back