E Plus City Folder Electric eBike (Help Please)

maxmix

1 µW
Hi Guys

I bought this ebike from Argos in the UK last week, my 1st little ebike and it's great for what I need....

https://www.ebikes.co.uk/ebike-city-folder-electric-bike.html

It's PAS Only so I thought I could just buy a throttle from Amazon Prime, open up the screws at the battery housing and connect up the throttle, but alas there is no connector for throttle...

Can anyone help with a wiring diagram for this bike, or for the controller, what all the colour coded wires do etc, I dont want to take the controller apart etc due to the warranty etc

I'm now sending the throttle back and I have just bought this complete kit, 24v 250Watt (I dont need more power, just to get a quick break from constant peddling etc)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MGB7SPD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will this work one we work out wiring and the original controller box could be replaced if I get a motor fault within the 1st year...

Here is the controller that is fitted, hopefully one of you Guru's can help me out with all this :)

Thanks

maxmix

Unfortunately, there's no standard for wiring, or much else, on ebikes.

So you'll end up having to trace out where the wires go from the controller bay to hook up to the new controller, and since connectors dont' typically match either in type or wire order, you'll have to cut connectors off and directly connect wires, or replace connectors with matching ones and fix the wire order.

But first, you'll need to get a controller that supports throttle-only use, and has a throttle input. The Amazon link you give shows a controller with no throttle and no connector for one, only a PAS connector, so it won't do what you want.

You're going to have to take the original controller (and display, if any) off the bike, and take grips/etc off the handlebars to rearrange them to make room for the throttle, etc. Don't know if any of that voids warranties, but it's likely to leave marks that the company can see, and plausibly revoke the warranty for if they are that kind of company.

If you have to cut the connectors on anything to splice in the new controller, that will probably void the warranty. So to avoid that, when you buy the new controller, you should also buy new connectors for it that match your old ones, so you can splice them onto the new one in the correct wire order to match the old one. You'll want to make sure and get a wire diagram for the new one that gives details on the specific wire order for each connector, otherwise you'll have to determine that experimentally or by opening up the controller to see where they connect.

Thanks for your reply, I dont mind making and soldering up a little wiring harness with the correct plugs on either side to link to the new controller I buy, then if anything goes wrong I can replace the original...

How about before I tuck everything away in bike again I open controller, i'm sure the PCB would have the connection points marked inside, then I could trace what wire does what more easily !

Do you think I could get a wiring diagram for this bike, tons are being sold here in the UK ATM for £429 new !

I thought that controller and throttle I ordered had both type of inputs ! Is the throttle not called Hall sensor ?

Can someone point me to an Amazon controller and throttle that has a PAS input also if this is wrong !

I thought more would know about this :)

maxmix

maxmix said:
How about before I tuck everything away in bike again I open controller, i'm sure the PCB would have the connection points marked inside, then I could trace what wire does what more easily !
They won't be marked with clear names like 'throttle" and "phase wires" and "ebrakes". They will have cryptic abbreviations that you might be able to match with what other people have found for various controllers...but you have to dig thru other controller wiring and test / troubleshooting threads to find out what they might mean. :(

On the old controller you can probably just trace the wires to where they go on the bike, to find the connector function.

On the new controller is where the tough part begins, unless you can get a good wiring diagram (which is not often available--the best most have is just a basic which-connector-does-what (but not which wire is which) labelled in Chinese. So you may also have to look at those same threads as above to find the meaning of the at-best-poor translations of those labels.

There are some companies, like http://ebikes.ca that do a good job of documenting all the wiring and functions of their controllers...but they also charge more, because you're paying for the people to support these products, and for designing and testing new ones. (unfortunately the ones they have don't have a PAS input at all, only throttle--they have a separate device the Cycle Analyst v3 to deal with that for any throttle-only controller, but it's a lot of money for both of those).

Do you think I could get a wiring diagram for this bike, tons are being sold here in the UK ATM for £429 new !
I can't imagine the manufacturer would provide one, so unless you happen find someone that's already done all this work and is willing to share it, you'll be the one doing that.

I thought that controller and throttle I ordered had both type of inputs ! Is the throttle not called Hall sensor ?
When I do a search on that page for "throttle" there are zero hits on the word, and there is nothing on the diagram that is marked for that. So if it can use one at all, it's something you'd have to open it up and experiment with.

Something to keep in mind also is that just becuase a controller has a throttle input, doesnt' mean you don't also have to pedal to make it work. Some that have a PAS sensor require you to pedal in order to engage the throttle. If not pedalling, the system is disabled. So for your purpose you have to be sure that the controller you get is not made this way.

The "trigger" thing on the display is marked on the display as "on/off", but it's listed elsewhere on teh page as a "shifter" so it's probably what is often referred to as a "3 speed switch", something used to change assist levels on a system.

"hall sensor" in the context of the phrases used on that webpage means the ones in the motor. Some motors are sensorless, and some have sensors to make startup more smooth.

So while throttles often use hall senosrs, so do other things on a bike (even ebrake levers may; this controller has a connector for those or the regular switch type).

Can someone point me to an Amazon controller and throttle that has a PAS input also if this is wrong !
I don't know which one on Amazon might work. I can poke around and see if there are any that appear to, but it could take a while, and I wouldn't make any guarantees that what you actually receive will do the same things or even look the same as what they advertise (a common problem, happens on Ebay and other places like that, too).

I thought more would know about this :)
THere's literally tens...hundreds of thousands of controllers, bikes, motors, etc out there, and every one of them is different, without any standardization. Most people that don't like the way something works either just return it or live with it, and arent' willing to do the work you're already doing to make it do what they want. So you may be the pioneer on this particular system.

If you read around the forum you will see the dozens and hundreds (at least) of threads of other pioneers like yourself, some of whom found and posted a solution (some on their own, some with help), and some of whom gave up and disappeared. ;)

Back