• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

remf said:
wugambino said:
:?: Question

I use "mechanical sympathy" when climbing, and always pedal my ass off(usually :roll: ). Some of the hills are STEEP, and even the "kings of the mountain" have to go 1mph in granny gear to make it up barely. I have checked my motor and controller temps at the top and everything is still cool/barely warm. I have even checked it a couple minutes after to see if it heat soaked and always cool.
Every time I ride anywhere, I always use max amps(amax=65.7a'ish), and I have glimpsed 2600watts

-Am I being gentle, or is the climb duration not long enough for component heating? (Appx. 3minutes hard climbing at 3/4 throttle with a 20second WOT burst at the pinnacle. )

I'd say the climb duration isn't long enough. According to http://ebikes.ca/simulator, depending on your weight, it would take just over 4 minutes to overheat a 3540 climbing a monster 20% average gradient.

Thanks for the chart. I just wanted to be sure I was being "safe".
I have a newer Fighter with the 4080 motor... Is that listed as the 408 in ecalc chart?
There is a big difference between 24" and 26" wheel... but does how does it actually calculate "roll-out". Do you think the diff is real since we use 25 3/4" , 24" tires/wheels?.

I have a newer Fighter with the 4080 motor... Is that listed as the 408 in ecalc chart?
There is a big difference between 24" and 26" wheel... but does how does it actually calculate "roll-out". Do you think the diff is real since we use 25 3/4" , 24" tires/wheels?.

No, the ebikes.ca simulator doesn't have any data listed for the 4060/5 and 4080. But the wind and top speed listed for the 3540 will be really close for the 4080. As Remf pointed out, even if you were running the 3540, your climb isn't long enough to smoke that motor under the conditions. Add 10% time to over heat and thrust pounds to those numbers listed for the 3540 and you will have a ball park figure for your 4080. And the simulator doesn't account for the assistance that the rider provides from pedaling his "ass off". As anyone will tell you, the best thing to do is what you are already doing, checking and monitoring the controller case for as well as the hub shell for heat. If either one are hot to the touch, start taking it easy and you should be fine. Living out west, I have had climbs in access of 2500 vertical feet in less than 3 miles. When pedaling to assist, it makes a huge difference in the bikes climbing capability. Synergism is the combo of multiple inputs exceeding the capabilities of the individual counterpart inputs by themselves when total effort is computed. With direct drive hub motors, when the rider pedals to assist his/her hub, often times the rider can climb much steeper stuff and start running out of traction (off road) before the motor will stall. I have seen this time and time again and it still surprises me when I clean a climb that is really steep and my motor and controller aren't that hot.

Rick

damancalldan said:
Check out the video I made at the You Yangs in Melbourne Australia... oh riding on the Stealth Bomber!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdy1iMEb_bY

Cheers!

Just checked your video out, it was great. Keep them coming.

Rick

damancalldan said:
Yeah I rode around with a DSLR and a Tripod and then set it up at different parts of the mountain, press record and quickly jump on the bike and ride!!
Respect! Thanks for taking the time and effort.
No run ins with the bike riders? There's hardly any space for walking on tracks like Trav's Diamond..

Finally took delivery of my Bomber. Number 366 :) Yep I'm grinning from top to toe!

damancalldan said:
Check out the video I made at the You Yangs in Melbourne Australia... oh riding on the Stealth Bomber!

Cheers!

You Yangs are Geelong mate =) bout ten mins from my house. Melbournes an hour away. Did anyone out there give you grief about riding an electric?

full-throttle, no run-ins with other riders as I did it on a weekday so there weren't as much people.

Sean, no one says anything bad about it being electric although everyone seems to know what type of bike it is and asks lots of questions. I actually saw another White Stealth Bomber with a Monster Energy sticker on the side at the end of the day... anyone here???

morati said:
Bexxer said:
Finally took delivery of my Bomber. Number 366 :) Yep I'm grinning from top to toe!
Congrats and Welcome to The Club Bexxer! Post a pic when you get the chance.

Yes Bexxer, what Morati said. Also, tell us about your first impression? Does your husband like it? He will probably get one after riding yours.

Rick

full-throttle said:
damancalldan said:
Yeah I rode around with a DSLR and a Tripod and then set it up at different parts of the mountain, press record and quickly jump on the bike and ride!!
Respect! Thanks for taking the time and effort.
No run ins with the bike riders? There's hardly any space for walking on tracks like Trav's Diamond..

Yes, respect for him indeed for taking the time. :mrgreen:

Bexxer said:

You lucky dog. How long did it take to get after you ordered it? I've been waiting one week, two days, six hours, twelve minutes, twenty two seconds, and I live in Dallas, so it's going to take a little while to get here after they ship it..

damancalldan said:

Cheers!

Very nice video, and well made too.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Bexxer said:

You lucky dog. How long did it take to get after you ordered it? I've been waiting one week, two days, six hours, twelve minutes, twenty two seconds, and I live in Dallas, so it's going to take a little while to get here after they ship it..

Dude, thats the way I was. I feel your pain. Just know, in the end, the wait is worth it.

Rick

Rix said:

No, the ebikes.ca simulator doesn't have any data listed for the 4060/5 and 4080. But the wind and top speed listed for the 3540 will be really close for the 4080. As Remf pointed out, even if you were running the 3540, your climb isn't long enough to smoke that motor under the conditions. Add 10% time to over heat and thrust pounds to those numbers listed for the 3540 and you will have a ball park figure for your 4080. And the simulator doesn't account for the assistance that the rider provides from pedaling his "ass off". As anyone will tell you, the best thing to do is what you are already doing, checking and monitoring the controller case for as well as the hub shell for heat. If either one are hot to the touch, start taking it easy and you should be fine. Living out west, I have had climbs in access of 2500 vertical feet in less than 3 miles. When pedaling to assist, it makes a huge difference in the bikes climbing capability. Synergism is the combo of multiple inputs exceeding the capabilities of the individual counterpart inputs by themselves when total effort is computed. With direct drive hub motors, when the rider pedals to assist his/her hub, often times the rider can climb much steeper stuff and start running out of traction (off road) before the motor will stall. I have seen this time and time again and it still surprises me when I clean a climb that is really steep and my motor and controller aren't that hot.

Rick

Yes excellent points Rick. I have the 4080 in the Fighter too and it seems to have considerably improved thermal capacity over the 3548 I had originally. But of course nothing beats the heavy metal of the 540X series for absorbing high temps. I have the 5404 in the Bomber and it'll take way more than the steep grades on my local trails. I have a paved section that tracks through rainforest up the ave. 16% large hill in front of my house. At the start, I can fly up that at 40 mph and add noticeable leg assistance in 7th gear at around 95 rpm cadence...until the top where it maxes out at over 20% by which time I'm down to around
15 mph in 5th gear. The lower gears are key to reaching that optimum higher cadence that really does assist.

Well it took 3 months from order date to taking delivery but I really really REALLY wanted the Army Green so it was worth the wait. My husband has ridden it a couple of times, he loves it too! Now I have to figure out my riding style/length of battery etc. Finally actually started to read the manual yesterday. I have an adversity to reading manuals online :( spend so much time reading a screen I really like to get away from it every once in a while.)

Took it camping in a State Park in Pennsylvania and it was fun Stealth Bombing up on wildlife. Ha! I love the look on peoples faces when they try to figure out how you are going so fast up a hill with not much pedalling. My husband couldn't take his XR650 on the MB trails I went on and when he took the mountain bike of course I left him for dead on the hills. I might be nice and use more leg power on the hills to make it more fair until he decides he has to have one too.

Not so keen riding in the rain for fear of getting water in places where it doesn't belong. Any tips?

Also, I know I'm not the only female Bomber rider out there, just wondering if there are any on this thread?

Attachments

• Bomber 366.jpg
    Bomber 366.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 2,244
Bexxer said:
Well it took 3 months from order date to taking delivery but I really really REALLY wanted the Army Green so it was worth the wait. My husband has ridden it a couple of times, he loves it too! Now I have to figure out my riding style/length of battery etc. Finally actually started to read the manual yesterday. I have an adversity to reading manuals online :( spend so much time reading a screen I really like to get away from it every once in a while.)

Took it camping in a State Park in Pennsylvania and it was fun Stealth Bombing up on wildlife. Ha! I love the look on peoples faces when they try to figure out how you are going so fast up a hill with not much pedalling. My husband couldn't take his XR650 on the MB trails I went on and when he took the mountain bike of course I left him for dead on the hills. I might be nice and use more leg power on the hills to make it more fair until he decides he has to have one too.

Not so keen riding in the rain for fear of getting water in places where it doesn't belong. Any tips?

Also, I know I'm not the only female Bomber rider out there, just wondering if there are any on this thread?

3 months!! I'm doomed, I'll never make it that long. Or maybe I will. Bexxer did you order your bike from the us distributor, or from a bike shop?

Actually the longer it takes to get to me the better for internal political reasons. I didn't tell my wife I bought it yet. Are we men, or are we mice?

Since I'm bored I was just doing a little Bomber research. I don't know a lot about the history of Bombers. I never heard of one till about 6 weeks ago. I'm guessing the first ones were made in 08, or 09? Bexxer's bike, # 366, is new at the beginning of October 2013. I see a old post mentioning Bomber # 170 was purchased in August 2012. That must mean about 196 Bombers were made in the last 13 months or so.

I'm guessing that means sales are picking up. If only 170 were made in the first 3 or 4 years, and now 196 were made in slightly over 1 year. I guess that's good news for the Stealth company, and Bomber owners also.

One thing I seem to be seeing mentioned a lot is about a 3 month lead time. If the lead time really is 3 months that's fine, I understand about these things, but don't piss on my leg, and tell me it's raining LOL. When I ask how long it takes to get one I was told it takes about a month to make it, and a 2 or 3 weeks shipping. The implication was a lot less then 3 months. At any rate from reading everyone's comments about their bikes, I'm feeling confident however long it takes to get it, it'll be worth the wait. I haven't found one person yet that said, I don't love my Bomber. That's a pretty good testament about the bike, because there's always someone you can't please no matter how good a thing is.

Bexxer said:
I did some work a little while back to help stop rain from entering where you don't want it to.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23996&start=3275#p716803
Like this,
P1060251.jpg

It seems to hold up pretty well to light-medium rain. Haven't had to see how it handles downpours just yet...and hopefully never will, but I'm glad I've done it just in case.

Cheers

in my country is rain season almost every day is raining sometimes rain got me far from home and i have a few heavy but heavy rains does like in one minute you are all wet i never have any problem with my bike but when that happens all you see is my worried face looool but never have water inside i just get home and take a microfiber cloth and dry out starting with all cables and shit

damancalldan said:
Anyone recommend any other trails in Melbourne?? I'll make another if so ;)
Plenty of stuff around - Yarra and Lysterfield are the closest. Plenty Gorge, Smith's Gully, Wombat SF, Dalesford, Castlemaine, Forrest, Anglesea a bit further. YouYangs is prob best for videos.

Shout if you can use some help :wink:

Bexxer said:

I certainly dont know of any other female Bomber riders out there. My 14 year old daughter loves riding my Fighter though. We often go out for rides with her on the Fighter and me on one of my other electric bikes. :)

I wonder how this product would work at keeping water out of the controller, and other places on the bike. It's called, Never Wet, and it's made by Rust oleum. They sell it at Home Depot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_936198&feature=iv&src_vid=7is6r6zXFDc&v=DZrjXSsfxMQ

Theodore Voltaire said:
I wonder how this product would work at keeping water out of the controller, and other places on the bike. It's called, Never Wet, and it's made by Rust oleum. They sell it at Home Depot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_936198&feature=iv&src_vid=7is6r6zXFDc&v=DZrjXSsfxMQ
have some discussion or early pages of this forum looks cool but have bad reviews by people and spraying that on expensive equipment have to be consider cause people that use that report discoloration or color change or whatever happen in time sorry about my english lool

Back