E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Hi All!

My CA battery logo for the past 3 charges has been displaying as completely empty. It happened once just after I purchased in Sep 2013 and has only just started happening again... do you think a BMS reset will fix it???

Also do you remember what the maximum Ah it is where you can reset the CA without an extra trip being added to the screen??? I think maybe 1??

Regards
DAMANCALLDAN

Rix said:
jc#310 said:
My CA does not show the charge cycles, am I missing something in the menu setup? It is CA-3.0

No prob on the wheels JC, this may be an obvious question, but are you resetting the CA after each ride and charge cycle? I am not familiar with the CA 3.0, but if you toggle through the menu, you should be able to find a number under "CYCL"

Rick

4.4 Display Screen #7 - Lifecycle Statistics
The final display screen provides the lifetime information of the battery
pack. These figures are especially useful in computing the lifecycle
costs of the vehicle and comparing the economics of different battery
chemistries. This display is not shown when the vehicle is in motion.

This is weird, because I can only access this last menu if I ride ->stop->toggle to the last screen. If I turn on the CA this menu is not accessible, I first need to travel a few meters to make it show the stats.

Mafia: Before you can claim any warranty You need to be 100% sure of what it could be, It could be the battery but it also could be something else, like a mechanical failure- check if your wheels spins freely first. then check how many what hours you can get after a full charge to completely empty. If you get 1300wh( about 15Ah) or more Stealth will probably not replace you battery. They would not replace mine anyway...

damancalldan said:
Hi All!

My CA battery logo for the past 3 charges has been displaying as completely empty. It happened once just after I purchased in Sep 2013 and has only just started happening again... do you think a BMS reset will fix it???

Also do you remember what the maximum Ah it is where you can reset the CA without an extra trip being added to the screen??? I think maybe 1??

Regards
DAMANCALLDAN
From the manual:

Cycl: The cycles value increments when the meter is reset. Provided
that the meter is reset each time the battery is charged then this will
indicate the number of charge and discharge cycles on the pack. In
order to prevent false cycle counts from cases where frequent
resetting is performed, the value is only incremented if more than 1.6
amp-hours was drawn at the time of the reset.

I do not know how to fix your empty Battery logo for sure. Is happens to me sometimes, but if I turn the bike on/off during the charge the problem goes away.

damancalldan said:
Hi All!

Regards
DAMANCALLDAN

Allex commented on some possibilites, but just to make sure I am understanding, when you say "completely empty" does that mean there are no values under the menu title, or is you CA Screen blank?

Rix said:
damancalldan said:
Hi All!

Regards
DAMANCALLDAN

Allex commented on some possibilites, but just to make sure I am understanding, when you say "completely empty" does that mean there are no values under the menu title, or is you CA Screen blank?

All the values work completely fine its just the battery symbol that is always dispalyed as being completely empty.

You have probably accidentally activated the battery swap function in the CA.

Hold down the right button and then toggle the left button. This allows you to swap between different battery setups. If there happens to be two battery profiles setup, you may have accidentally toggled to the wrong one.

Theodore Voltaire said:
I haven't ridden in almost 3 weeks, because it's so cold I'm afraid my pussy will freeze.

Yes, vagina frost is a valid concern. Got to safeguard against frost bite. That being said, we had a nice warm day today, I did a whopping 22 miles today. Some deep sand, hill climbs, rock gardens, mud, dirt roads, and pavement. Covered all types of terrain but gravel, ice and snow. Great day indeed. I wish the weather would stay like this, but it was nothing more than a warm day in the mix of a cold season.

Rick

Hi Guys, long time lurker here - first time poster.

Picking up my new Bomber in March, and I can't tell you how excited I am. So happy to join the ranks, and I'm glad that I found this site. From all of the research I've done, I haven't found another manufacturer (except possibly Optibike) that has the complete solution. Thank you to everyone for helping me make the decision to buy a Stealth.

Quick question: Has anyone bought or used a carrier like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Lund-601010-Hitch-Mounted-Cargo-Carrier/dp/B0002Z9QLW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm pretty sure it would do the job, and I like that it's wide enough to hold two e-bikes; say to a maximum load of about 250 lbs. Lots of places to tie a couple of bikes down too. Thoughts?

i use a motorcycle carrier, im looking at making a more compact carrier specific to my bike though now i dont have the KTM anymore

see pic

that carrier looks good, just need to sort out how it will keep the bike in position

carriers are funny, got to be careful you dont lose the bike when you accelerate or brake too hard, also make sure it does not go off either side when you corner
2cwtp1.jpg

oilerlord said:
Hi Guys, long time lurker here - first time poster.

Picking up my new Bomber in March, and I can't tell you how excited I am. So happy to join the ranks, and I'm glad that I found this site. From all of the research I've done, I haven't found another manufacturer (except possibly Optibike) that has the complete solution. Thank you to everyone for helping me make the decision to buy a Stealth.

Quick question: Has anyone bought or used a carrier like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Lund-601010-Hitch-Mounted-Cargo-Carrier/dp/B0002Z9QLW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm pretty sure it would do the job, and I like that it's wide enough to hold two e-bikes; say to a maximum load of about 250 lbs. Lots of places to tie a couple of bikes down too. Thoughts?

Welcome to the club! You are going love your bomber. Like hispanic batman said these toy hitch haulers will work, and are way over kill for ebikes when the average hitch hauler can hold 250-400# easy. I would get an aluminum one. Just dont need more for the Bomber. So, what color did you get?

WOW that was fast. Gotta love this forum!

I'll probably go with the carrier I found on Amazon, and mount some blocks on it to hold the bike(s) stable. With enough straps, it should work.

The bike I'm getting is black; not necessarily my first choice but a dealer had a store demo that has only 200 miles on it - and they let it go for a big discount. Black seems to be the logical choice as it probably draws the least amount of attention. I was partial to army green but black is cool too.

Is it wrong to get excited about a new bike when it's -20C outside my window right now?

No, its not wrong to get exicted when its -20C if anything, its harder to stave excitment for people in the northern hemisphere. From about April to November, I ride just about everyday even if only a little bit. Not the case from December to March, Get a few in a month when its not dumping or way below freezing.

Rick

Rix said:
No, its not wrong to get exicted when its -20C if anything, its harder to stave excitment for people in the northern hemisphere. From about April to November, I ride just about everyday even if only a little bit. Not the case from December to March, Get a few in a month when its not dumping or way below freezing.

Rick

Hey Rick,

Though I'm getting a killer deal on the bike, it's production #178 from 2012. The bike sat in a display window for most of it's life, and has a total of 200 miles on it. I think it's still basically "new" and they are selling it to me with full warranty (starting from the day I pick it up next month). I suppose the biggest concern would be the battery - is there a shelf life on the stock battery pack that I need to be concerned about? Is there any servicing or battery conditioning that needs to be done to a bike like this that's been sitting idle for a couple of years?

Dave

You should be good. Lifepo4 chemistry is pretty much safe and have minimum impact on degraded capacity after a few years. Compared to others, like li-ion.
It is good that you have warranty, so you have one year ahead of to test out the battery. Just make sure to fully charge it when stored.
If you want to have maximum life out of it - You should give it a rest after a full charge(30min) and the same rest after a run before you charge it up again.
Personally, I dont care. I want to have as much riding time as possible. We only have 3 sunny and warm months here, so rest of the time it just standing there :(

Storing any lithium battery fully charged is one of the worst things you can do to it! That and letting it go flat. :wink:

I know this applies for Lipos and li-ion... Dunno about lifepo4, Stealth manual states that you should keep it fully charged. So this will give us a misleading information :(
But maybe they have the BMS in mind. if you keep it to low, the BMS could drain the battery flat and it will damage the pack permanently.

Anyway, this is taken from:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/explaining_lithium_ion_chemistries

"Storing a fully charged LiFePo4 battery has minimal impact on the life span."

It applies to LiFePO4 too, best to store at around 50% SOC for long periods. I think that Stealth may indeed have had self-discharge in mind when they advised to keep it fully charged however I think the offending R203 resistor has been removed from latest model controllers so won't be an issue for new bikes.

To prevent self-discharge during storage on all but newest bikes, simply disconnect the battery, isolating it from the controller.

Allex said:
Dunno about lifepo4, Stealth manual states that you should keep it fully charged.
I can only imagine it's Stealth writing a manual for the general public. It will cause the battery a lot less damage fully charged than allowing it to go flat. But if you really want to maximise it's life, store it at 50-60% in a cool environment and don't let it go flat. :wink:

remf said:
courcheval said:
Stealth wont warranty a battery of a bike bought off an official dealer one month ago, "because the vehicule was imported more than one year ago". I wonder how legal this is since any motor vehicule sold in countries with customer support starts its warranty time when vehicule is bought not when it s sent to the dealer.(sent 14 month before I detected the problem).

Courcheval I sympathise with your issue, being stuck without a ride, being delayed so much in Chile, though I think it is more the fault of the dealer. Maybe a language or communication issue between the dealer & Stealth? If the bike was a demo bike and was more than a year old, the dealer should have made it clear that the warranty had expired. But it sounds like the dealer did not make this clear, resulting in the expectation that it was sold "as new" which it clearly was not.

So what shipping are you waiting for? Did you manage to ship the pack back to Stealth? If so, they'll fix it right & am pretty sure it wouldn't be a major cost...and should be quick despite the distance. Hope it goes well for you.

Looks like this has been discussed before; but I'm not sure how this story turned out. Though I'd agree the battery on the bike I'm getting is probably ok, I've asked the dealer to contact Stealth about the their policy on older unsold demo bikes with original batteries.

ok finally got my wheels done

sadly the wheel builder is a fool and forgot the black spokes and black nipples.... damn pissed at that but ohh well, i could not wait any longer

how does it ride? well very well, there is a noticeable gyroscopic effect at high speed in the front, but ill get used to it, it handles so much better its very loose where i ride and the front end is so much more planted

downsides are the weight, you can notice the difference, its more than 1kg a wheel, riding trails today i didnt feel the difference though and the ride is smoother
j9spk7.jpg

mbl6x0.jpg

k0oi1h.jpg

289zjh1.jpg

357n8tf.jpg

heres a vid of how it handles tarmac, it corners great, it'd corner much better but i let the tyres down too far (9psi) so it slides out or Drifts, 30psi in them and on road it would be great, but i ride 99% off road so i think ill bump it up to 15psi as 9psi is far too low, but at least i didnt have any flats and i rode it hard enough on its first outing to put the new motorcycle rim out of true LOL

[youtube]wnhLcccDyWE[/youtube]

Tough looking bomber there!

There's some really nice bombers and fighters in this thread. It took me awhile to go through everything and by the end i was just a bit jealous.

If any Australian members want to sell their pride and joy please let me know

cheers

Back