E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

remf said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
So the question is, do I, streamer boy know what's the best use of a bomber, of do a bunch of Australian monkey boys, that only know how to ride down a dirt trail alone, with only their own dick in their hand know better? You can decide hic oo000woo.

Nah TV, we can ride both hands on, unlike a streamer ladyboy.

[edit] must have been a rough day, forgot to :D

Damn it TV, are you that kind of guy that reads the last page of a book first? You left us hanging, young hot Jungle women WTF happened and why did you leave after a "chit chat"? I'm Sure the leader would understand. In fact If she supports the use of Streamer on a Bomber, I know she would then. As far as riding goes, off road with the bomber is where its at. Takes skill to ride off road at speed and not hurt or kill yourself. Any streamer rockin twit (no offense intended, think of it a term of endearment :lol: ) can hold these machines wide open going down the road though. One thing we can all agree on for certain, with your riding style, its easy to see the potential range of our machines. So on a personal note, have you lost any body weight yet? When I first got my Bomber back in 2012, I was 262# (119kg) with in the month, I went down to 240#. Been staying between 240 and 245 ever since. Even my rider weight with helmet and camel back with tools is only 265# now which for me, is light.

Rick

Did I really write that last night sheeez?

LOL you guys, that's really about all there was to it. Those girls are all too young for me, and besides I've been married since 1975. Plus a lot of them are gay (not that that matters to me, I just want to watch).

What I was really trying to convey was the phenomenal range I've learned to extract. It's getting easier and easier since the weather has warmed up. There were 3 other eBikes on the ride. 2 of them always come to the ride on a car carrier. My friend rides his OptiBike there, but he only lives about 6 miles from the start, and maybe 4 miles from the end. He's got an axillary battery pack too, so he's packing a lot of ah.

Really though, I'm loving my Bomber. There's nothing else like it. It sets the benchmark for production eBikes, and nothing I've seen so far even comes close by a mile.

I am starting to loose some of my winter fat. If the winter hadn't ended when it did I was about out grow all my cloths. Before, I would ride and lose a little weight. Then a cold front would blow in, and I would sit on the couch for a week, and gain it all back, and then some. Now we're in our 2 week long Spring time, and after this 9 months of hot ass summer, so I should be able to get back to fighting weight again by June.

Check it out. This eBike shop opened Saturday. As far as I know it's the first dedicated eBike shop in Dallas history. They also have a shop in Colorado. I'm going to try to talk them into becoming a Stealth dealer. Electric vehicles are starting to get peoples attention.

Rix said:
streamer rockin twit
And behold, the acronym "SRT" was born!
I'm copyrighting that shit, this is gonna take off! :lol:
Get your limited edition Stealth Bomber SRT today and be part of a *very* exclusive club

Girly-man bomber.jpg

Theodore Voltaire said:
a lot of them are gay
Explains the passing interest in your streamers :p

He's got an axillary battery pack too
Sweet, and arm pit battery, that's a first!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axillary
:lol:

Hyena said:
Rix said:
streamer rockin twit
And behold, the acronym "SRT" was born!
I'm copyrighting that shit, this is gonna take off! :lol:
Get your limited edition Stealth Bomber SRT today and be part of a *very* exclusive club

Theodore Voltaire said:
a lot of them are gay
Explains the passing interest in your streamers :p

He's got an axillary battery pack too
Sweet, and arm pit battery, that's a first!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axillary
:lol:

Damn my bike looks good.

It's true, I'm an undercover lesbian.

Does anyone know why my bike begins and ocsillate when I pass 85kph?
It is stable and fine up to around 80kph, but above this it begins with a slight oscillation.
Do anyone have any suggestions on what to check and/or what to do to find the problem?

fsmuggen said:
Does anyone know why my bike begins and ocsillate when I pass 85kph?
It is stable and fine up to around 80kph, but above this it begins with a slight oscillation.
Do anyone have any suggestions on what to check and/or what to do to find the problem?

Wheels are out of balance, I balanced mine with stick on lead weights by trial and error as they don't spin like a normal wheel.

My God the bike was so smooth at high speed its like you're sitting in a chair on a smooth road.

I put the bike on a lift went WOT and tried weight in diff places, when you get it wrong or right you will know it...lol The bike shook big time when wrong as well as with no weights.

I think for a Stealth rear wheel you could use what's called a bubble balancer. The wheel hangs on a shaft running through the axle. Looks like this. A lot of motorcycle shops have them, and won't charge much to do it.

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/COATS-Model-280-Bubble-Balancer-p/coats280.htm

Guys, how hot do you run your motors? Older models doe not have temp sensors, so how hot is safe?
Rix, you are the guy who probably punish your bike most, with steep klimbs and heavy gear. How hot gets your motor? Can you touch the sidecovers and the top where the magnets are?

I know that generally speaking you don't want the running temperature of any electric motor to be above 180 degrees. Running above 210 degrees will cause quick deterioration of the windings insulation.

Allex said:
Guys, how hot do you run your motors? Older models doe not have temp sensors, so how hot is safe?
Rix, you are the guy who probably punish your bike most, with steep klimbs and heavy gear. How hot gets your motor? Can you touch the sidecovers and the top where the magnets are?

Allex, I can't tell you how hot my motor temps were, but I got them so hot that water would singe hitting the side cover. That's north of 212F or 100c for sure. After I vented my hub, I have never gotten the side covers that hot since. Venting works. If you look at my stators in the pic, the dark brown stator is my 5404 when I removed it to vent the covers. Anyway before I vented the hub, I climbed a section of Schafer Butte on that and used around 530wh in a 2.8 miles of climbing. And that climb came after a few miles of less steep but fairly slow climbing. I think that was the climb that turned my 5404 stator dark. Even though my stator was "darkened" by heat, I don't think I lost any power. Felt like it still pulled hard, and the wires weren't burnt, maybe some slightly coloration on the phase wires inside of the hub. The yellow blue and green were darker shades than the segments at the end that plugged into the controller. So how ever hot that was, must have been hot. I have been told that the 54xx motors can hit 150c (300F) before concerns for permanent heat damage become an issue, but that seems high, especially since lots of guys smarter than me are running 110c Thermistors to avoid permanent damage so I don't know for sure if that's true.

Rick

Thnx guys, I think you are right. I can see that there is some unbalance in the rearwheel at high speeds.
I'll try to balance it, I have a friend who does this with car wheels all the time, mabe I should bike by his workshop.

Yeah T.V.
Holy, Rix. If your sidecovers are that hot. Than the stator could be is beyond 200°C
The covers does not touch the stator so the transfer goes is by air. And it has to be a lot of heat if you can boil the water on your cover.
I think the magnets start to loose their force after 90°C

I dont think we had any in this forum who burnt their stealth motors?

Allex said:
Yeah T.V.
Holy, Rix. If your sidecovers are that hot. Than the stator could be is beyond 200°C
The covers does not touch the stator so the transfer goes is by air. And it has to be a lot of heat if you can boil the water on your cover.
I think the magnets start to loose their force after 90°C

Like I said, I am not sure how hot my hubbie has gotten, knowing that water boils 100c, now that I think about it, more like 98C at amost 3000m above sea level, I know the cover has been at least that hot. In fact, you can see from the hi temp epoxy on my 5404 stator armiture being burnt that it has been fairly hot. I agree that if the covers were that hot, the stator had to be hotter because it doesn't touch the cover, but I don't think it was twice as hot. Probably more like 130c if the covers were 100c or so. Curtoesy of Luke aka Liveforphysics, I know what a stator looks like around 200C, no way mine was that hot. It would be completely smoked instead of just darker like it is. But I can tell you after I vented the 5404, it never got at hot as is did when it wasn't vented. As far as the magents loosing their force, I can tell that the magnets on my 5404 were weaker than my 5403 but they still had magnetic properties and the motor didn't seem to suffer from getting hot as I didn't notice a percieved loss in acceleration.

Allex said:
Ahem...I'm on my 4th motor, but not all of them burned.

First motor (HS3548) burned up running as stock on a 40C day in soft sand.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23996&hilit=stealth&start=950#p516186

Second motor (HS3548) I accidentally put my screwdriver/drill through a side cover vent hole and into the windings when doing up the cover after venting it.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23996&start=3700&hilit=stealth#p739864
Turns out this one may still work. Philistine tested it for me and thinks it might still be useable. I am still yet to try it myself, but it may be a good one to experiment on.

Third motor (HS4065) was vented early on to prevent overheating. I still managed to though...sort of.
Two strands of one phase are shorted to the stator, so it might still be salvageable. I'm planning on attempting to revive it at some stage, and may also do some experimental forced air cooling methods on it.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55486#p833165
P1060764.jpg

Forth motor (HS4080) is still working and stock. I've been taking it easy with it so far for fear of burning yet another one. I plan on oil cooling this one. Just need to seal it up first.

Cheers

Theodore Voltaire said:
Rix, what was the ambient temperature when you were seeing those kind of temps?

It was cool, like 75-80 F, we were riding at 6000 to 9000 feet. Mostly climbing, and slow at that. And when I said it could boil water, I didn't actually pour any water on it. When I stopped at the top of the climb, something smelled like it was burning, checked my controller, it was pretty warm, checked the phase wrires, they were warm checked hub shell, burnt my finger, so I spit on it and my spit bubbled. Anyway it was all down hill so I started hauling ass and things got cooled down pretty quickly.

Rick

I just got my Bomber delivered, but the crate didn't have a charger in it. Is it shipped separately, is it supposed to come with one?

ccowell said:
I just got my Bomber delivered, but the crate didn't have a charger in it. Is it shipped separately, is it supposed to come with one?

Stealth get the battery and charger shipped direct from the manufacturer in China to you. Mine arrived before my bike, yours will know doubt be on its way!

Hugh

I installed a temp sensor inside the winding's, as to my previous posts.
I also set the controller to back off when the temps are over 150°C
So when my winding's really get 150°C the motor shell/covers are no where near that hot as yours Rix. I can easily hold my hand on them, so this would be around 50°C
Yesterday I connected my old controller with CA back. Gave it a good spin to 55Wh/km. Touched the covers after the ride and they where a lot hotter. Especially on the short side of motor shell, where the magnets are. I would say around 70 degrees. So the winding's probably would be somewhere near 200°C?
To bad that We do not have temp sensor connected to CA. It would be interesting to compare. Any one know what kind of sensors CA support?

Allex said:
I installed a temp sensor inside the winding's, as to my previous posts.
I also set the controller to back off when the temps are over 150°C
So when my winding's really get 150°C the motor shell/covers are no where near that hot as yours Rix. I can easily hold my hand on them, so this would be around 50°C
Yesterday I connected my old controller with CA back. Gave it a good spin to 55Wh/km. Touched the covers after the ride and they where a lot hotter. Especially on the short side of motor shell, where the magnets are. I would say around 70 degrees. So the winding's probably would be somewhere near 200°C?
To bad that We do not have temp sensor connected to CA. It would be interesting to compare. Any one know what kind of sensors CA support?

Allex, with your research, you definitely know more than I do. Maybe the windings were that hot. With out a laser temp guage, and not vented at the time to measure the stator temps directly, I just don't know for sure how hot it really was. Just throwing out some SWAG numbers. But the other thing we should consider is heat quench time frame. What I mean by this is my motor heats up for a short while after I stop. Even though I know if I am not running power, the heat transfer from the stator to the shell increases for a bit after stopping. If you haven't tried this, find your self a steep climb, and ride up it using 140/Wh/mi (87Wh/km) for 10 minutes, stop, check your hub shell immediately, then wait another 5 minutes and check your hub shell again, you will notice it to be considerably hotter. When I noticed the burnt smell and my cover was saliva singeing hot, it was after I had stopped for probably 5 minutes or so.

Rick

Back