E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

The Harley looks really good quality. Same with the BRD bike.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/video-news/video-the-brd-redshift-stealth-electronic-motorcycle-in-action-30207470.html

The Stealth Fighter from Zero has killer numbers as well. 79000 miles at 80 percent on a pack.

Standard motorcycle warranty* 2 years
Power pack warranty* 5 years / 50,000 miles

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fx/specs.php

Theodore Voltaire said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
Harley Davidson is coming out with an electric motorcycle, and it has a vague Stealth look about it except bigger.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/harley-davidson-introduces-electric-motorcycle/2014/06/19/8bfe0242-f7a9-11e3-8118-eae4d5b48c7d_story.html

“Some people may get on it thinking, ‘golf cart,’” lead engineer Jeff Richlen said. “And they get off thinking, ‘rocket ship.’”

This is the way I describe my Bomber.

You guys ever get a crazy annoying sweeking sound from the rear shock? I put some wd 40 on the insides of the nut on the top one and the bottom set. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? Whenever I press down on the frame or while riding hitting a little bumb I have a 1 second sweeking or more.[attachment=-1]Screenshots_2014-06-19-21-14-38.png[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1403227104749.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403227104749.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,561
Yes about a year ago, I had the dreaded squeak. I sent the shock to the factory and I had it back in a few days. They simply took it apart & cleaned it, something which doesn't sound too difficult but then I didn't do it so I can't offer any more details.

proper159 said:
You guys ever get a crazy annoying sweeking sound from the rear shock? I put some wd 40 on the insides of the nut on the top one and the bottom set. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? Whenever I press down on the frame or while riding hitting a little bumb I have a 1 second sweeking or more.[attachment=-1]Screenshots_2014-06-19-21-14-38.png[/attachment]
May also be your swing arm bearing .

bikerloosey said:
The Harley looks really good quality. Same with the BRD bike.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/video-news/video-the-brd-redshift-stealth-electronic-motorcycle-in-action-30207470.html

The Stealth Fighter from Zero has killer numbers as well. 79000 miles at 80 percent on a pack.

Standard motorcycle warranty* 2 years
Power pack warranty* 5 years / 50,000 miles

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fx/specs.php

Theodore Voltaire said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
Harley Davidson is coming out with an electric motorcycle, and it has a vague Stealth look about it except bigger.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/harley-davidson-introduces-electric-motorcycle/2014/06/19/8bfe0242-f7a9-11e3-8118-eae4d5b48c7d_story.html

“Some people may get on it thinking, ‘golf cart,’” lead engineer Jeff Richlen said. “And they get off thinking, ‘rocket ship.’”

This is the way I describe my Bomber.
I`d like to see all Harley`s go electric , seems every owner has to remove all the baffles which makes em sound like an over loaded Dam pump . Harley`s have a great way of converting petrol into noise without the side effect of horse power .
Didn`t know Zero were making a Stealth Fighter ???

proper159 said:

EZ fix....loosen the shock bolts.

They are nylon lock type so not an issue.

Makes the bike also ride FAR better on bumps.

No squeaks :)

Paul_G said:
proper159 said:

EZ fix....loosen the shock bolts.

They are nylon lock type so not an issue.

Makes the bike also ride FAR better on bumps.

No squeaks :)
Okay thanks I'll try that.

proper159 said:

From your picture it doesn't look like this is you problem, but I was having a similar issue with a noise when the rear suspension compressed, but in my case it turned out to be that I had the seat post so low that when the suspension compressed, the bottom of the seat post was hitting the top of the shock absorber. Lifting the seat post slightly cured that problem.

A little WD 40 on the bolts solved the problem. The seat post is high enough. At first I thought my seat frame was going to break again because I got the same sweeking when the medal folds were splitting. The hard thing with finding out what the issue was was that it sounded like it was coming from my swing arm. After spraying the WD40, the sweeking didn’t go away until the next morning. Thanks for all your help.

Woot. Woot. This is cool.The LAPD Just Got a Military-Grade Electric Bike for Stealth Missions.

The MMX is Zero’s special forces-specific bike. It can ford through water up to 3.2 feet deep, put out 68 pound-feet of toque, go from zero to 60 in 4.4 seconds, and hit a top speed of 85 mph. Equipped with the largest available battery pack, it bike will run for two hours.

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/lapd-zero-electric-motorcycles/

proper159 said:
A little WD 40 on the bolts solved the problem. The seat post is high enough. At first I thought my seat frame was going to break again because I got the same sweeking when the medal folds were splitting. The hard thing with finding out what the issue was was that it sounded like it was coming from my swing arm. After spraying the WD40, the sweeking didn’t go away until the next morning. Thanks for all your help.

I tried loosening/tightening the bolts, sprayed it with half a can of WD & swore incessantly at it, but that squeak always returned the next day. I'm guessing yours will too...if it does, remove the shock and have a good look at it to see if you can give it a good clean, then lube.

remf said:
proper159 said:

I tried loosening/tightening the bolts, sprayed it with half a can of WD & swore incessantly at it, but that squeak always returned the next day. I'm guessing yours will too...if it does, remove the shock and have a good look at it to see if you can give it a good clean, then lube.
yeah I know what you mean. I'll see how it fares tomorrow. I'm about go on a 35 km ride to visit my lady. I'm more concerned that my 2 week old Kenda tires are starting to fall apart near the rim. Lost 15 psi over the course of day in storage too.

Amazing that the Duros are sold out everywhere. The Kendas are thinner than 3 inches and I can definitely feel the lost of confidence at higher speeds or on tight turns.

Yeah farewell Razorbacks. I put my last one on the Bomber and it's already at the half way point. Next to go on will be a Shinko on the rear and a Berm Master on the front.

Damn flat tire 17 km from my destination. ...FML[attachment=-1]20140620_233337.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]20140620_233329.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1403321965438.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403321965438.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,546
  • uploadfromtaptalk1403321981510.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403321981510.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,546
That sucks, especially since it looks late there & you can't call the Mrs.

Depending on how big it is, i.e. pinch or puncture, a can of Tyre Weld or similar might get you home.

remf said:
That sucks, especially since it looks late there & you can't call the Mrs.

Depending on how big it is, i.e. pinch or puncture, a can of Tyre Weld or similar might get you home.
yeah was pretty late, walked 11 km and just got home at 2:42 am. Tried calling CAA but the membership isn't in my name so they couldn't pick me up. Those tires suck big time. I noticed some serious wear on the side wall after only 2 weeks and my tire pressure would drop a lot over night...was meaning to get it resolved on Sunday but alas it was Friday night. Granted, I was doing 120 to 200 km rides a day for almost 2 weeks, something was gonna give in.

Just try pushing your Harley a few miles with a flat. After that you'll be laughing and singing pushing a Bomber lol.

If you don't need knobbies, I highly recommend Thick Bricks. I have close to 1500 miles on mine with Mr Tuffy tire liners with no flats. My rear tire is now about half worn out so I'm about ready to replace them.

If this turns out to be true, it's the break through we're waiting for. Dual-Carbon Lithium Batteries

http://evworld.com/blogs.cfm?blogid=1266

proper159 said:

Need to take a look at the bushings on your rear shock - they dry out regularly and need a little grease and perhaps a silicone washer between the shock spring and the attachment to the swinging arm...

proper159 said:

I had the same thing, sounded like a little bird was following my. The Problem is that the DNM Shock bottom eyelet/bearing is Level with the Black housing and rubs on the shock mounting tags. I fixed it by removing the bearings and grinding/filing the sides of shocker so there was some clearance. Never had a problem since.

If you look close in this Pic you can see the side of the shock is silver where i put it on the linisher.

20140605_185544.jpg

Seeing as I've not posted in a while, thought I'd update you on a problem I had with my 2011/2 Bomber 5403 motor which is now fixed. It contains a few lessons:

The background: I live in a rainy place and over winter it gets wetter and I don't ride so often, so the motor stays cold much of the time. I'd stupidly kept the bike outdoors under a waterproof tarpaulin as my garage door broke.
The problem: I started developing a vague grinding noise from my motor, which I thought was coming from the factory freewheel/sprocket (I'd stupidly blasted the grease out of it with solvent when cleaning the bike). I rode it for a while and ordered a new freewheel which I was planning to fix.
The problem got worse: One day, the motor seized completely - it struggled but it couldn't move. The freewheel moved OK - sheeee-it!
I cracked it open and was met with a scene of rusty and shattered magnets and corrosion to the rotor (steel - the hub is aluminium. Luckily the magnets hadn't damaged the coils or phase wires or the stacks from the electromagnets on the hub. It looked like water had pooled inside the motor (there was a rust line suggesting this), causing the magnets to corrode and bubble up and this had caused them to shatter and collide with the hub, causing the seizure.
I called Stealth, who very generously provided me with a new set of magnets.
I meticulously cleaned the corrosion off of the rotor using Jenolite and painted it with high-temp engine-primer which I cured with a heat gun. I treated the magnets the same way and glued them back into the hub with a high-temperature epoxy glue, before painting over with Glyptal high-temp electric motor paint. I also painted the wires on the hub coils with Glyptal as their lacquer had been scuffed in a few places.
I replaced the wheel bearings with good quality sealed European ones.
Replaced the freewheel/sprocket with a good quality sealed one too.
Next I drilled 8 4mm holes in each of the motor sidewall casings to allow drainage of water and vapour before reassembling the motor. Now works like a dream, though wondering if I need to recalibrate the CA...

Advice: If you ride wet and infrequently - vent your motor case and ensure that your magnets and rotor are protected from corrosion by some suitable paint. Try to do some long dry rides following short wet rides to keep moisture out of the casing: Off the shelf, the Crystalytes allow water ingress, but no water egress! More recent Stealth bikes may well already be modified in the factory to avoid this problem, of course...

Water in the vboxx.

As well as water getting into the motor you should also be concerned about the water that is getting into your vboxx. If you have washed your bike with a pressurised hose you will probably have water in there. I have recently fully disassembled two vboxx's that both had water inside. The main problem is with two hollow shafts, the shifter and the output. One side of these shafts is outside the box, the other inside, so if any water enters the hollow shaft from the outside it is most likely destined to stay inside your vboxx. I also suspect that water may enter the cap that covers the shifter shaft adjustment screws; again mainly when a pressurised hose is used to clean the box.

Below are pictures of vboxx internals after about 4000km and some hose washing.

20140604_144313 (640x480).jpg20140604_144410 (640x480).jpg

My solution has been to insert rubber plugs into the shafts. See the picture below:

View attachment 1

I would also strongly recommended servicing the vboxx as per the factory instructions (I.e flushing with oil and regreasing) as this may help to flush out any water that is currently inside.

Mr Lowbank said:
proper159 said:

I had the same thing, sounded like a little bird was following my. The Problem is that the DNM Shock bottom eyelet/bearing is Level with the Black housing and rubs on the shock mounting tags. I fixed it by removing the bearings and grinding/filing the sides of shocker so there was some clearance. Never had a problem since.

If you look close in this Pic you can see the side of the shock is silver where i put it on the linisher.

20140605_185544.jpg
Hey thanks for the tip. Is that a larger rear wheel you have there?

Back