eBike Builders in Texas

Mammalian04

100 kW
Good Morning All,

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good high power/full suspension eBike builder in central Texas (preferably Austin)? I'd like to find someone trustworthy and competent that can help select parts, build, maintain, and upgrade the bike over its life. Experience with the Phasor or Raptor would be a plus.

Thanks guys!

Jason

Well, if you hated suspension I'd know who to send you to. Veloman is a pretty experienced guy in Austin, but not in the business of building ebikes.

Who else is in Austin?

http://www.rocketelectrics.com/
Although their name may hint otherwise, it's not rocket science. They should be able to help you.

Thanks a lot guys. I will check out RocketElectrics. I went to Division One Cycles (Stealth Dealer) and they were more of the opinion that I should not start a build.

I'll also check out Chelo's posts too.

Any other suggestions?

One of my projects is to partner with a local makerspace (hackerspace) to create an ebike lab for the making of related components, especially batteries. Just like any automotive shop anywhere, only for ebikes, and as coop-use, open to anyone and providing impetus for open-source-manufacturing related ventures. You may want to check out listings at http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Hackerspaces.

arkmundi said:
One of my projects is to partner with a local makerspace (hackerspace) to create an ebike lab for the making of related components, especially batteries. Just like any automotive shop anywhere, only for ebikes, and as coop-use, open to anyone and providing impetus for open-source-manufacturing related ventures. You may want to check out listings at http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Hackerspaces.

That's a cool idea arkmundi. The site seems to be lacking activity but I like the idea. Do you have any traction with this in MA? I suspect a challenge will be security and liability when considering high dollar equipment and potential for shock.

It depends on where you are, some of those Hackerspaces are doing very well. There's one in the 'Mid Cities' area near LA and one in LA itself that I've heard are very busy.

Cool. So is the idea that one would come in for a "weekend workshop" or a "day workshop" where everyone can build their pack with the supervision of a trainer?
OR
Is this more of a development hub where people experiment on their own and just use the place as a location to hang out with people working on similar projects?

It doesn't look like there is anything in Austin so I would have to start my own! Is it membership fee based? Just wondering how the rent gets paid and such.

Mammalian04 said:
Thanks a lot guys. I will check out RocketElectrics. I went to Division One Cycles (Stealth Dealer) and they were more of the opinion that I should not start a build.

I'll also check out Chelo's posts too.

Any other suggestions?

If you call Rocket Electrics, they are simply going to refer you to me. :D

They are a dealer for Easy Motion, Pedego, Juiced, Stromer.

I am experienced with building my own 2500w ebikes. Doing a 7kw emoto build at the moment. I don't have experience with the Phasor/Raptor frames, other than the little I've read about them on here.

I do like suspension!

I'm a bicycle mechanic, pedicab builder, and machinist in central East Austin. I can help you with assembly, wheelbuilding and maintenance, mechanical tuning, and making unintended combinations work together. I also do harness-level but not board-level electrical assembly and soldering.

I have set up and repaired suspensions on a few motorcycles and many bicycles, including custom springs, valves, and spacers. At speeds under 30mph on streets and paths I consider bicycle suspension to be a pointless affectation, though, which is what dogman was alluding to.

999zip999 said:
Texas ebike ? Where do you put the oil ?

Zip, the oil goes in our belly. We drink the hard stuff down here.

Thanks to Veloman, Chalo, and Snellemin for your info!

Snellemin, I might cruise down to Houston some time to check out your rig if you don't mind!

Chalo and Velloman, thanks for posting up for Austin. I will think tonight on finalizing my priorities for the build and then start a new thread for my build so this one can live on and stay on topic for other Texas people. I will post the new thread link here so you guys can chime in if you are interested in getting involved with the build.

Thanks again to to all others also for getting me connected with some folks in Texas. The build seemed daunting at first but knowing there is some good experience nearby has me stoked now!

- Jason

Drop by in Houston for the Critical Mass and you get to meet 100volt+ as well, with his crazy fast bike.

Cool, I just checked it out. http://www.criticalmasshouston.com/

I will try to make it down. I will confirm closer to the 30th. How should I find you guys?

You can join the facebook page of the houston CM too. I usually hang out by the dogpark area within the Market square block. You can't miss the Raptor.

Chalo is definitely your man! Incredibly friendly helpful fully qualified bicycle mechanic, lives in Austin, loves hi powered full suspension downhill mtbs from the cheap WaL-Mart bikes to the latest hi end offerings, is passionate about the latest tech ESPECIALLY hydraulic disk brakes, he's very vocal at times with people and their in adequate braking systems, many threads on ES highlighting his "enthusiasm" towards the e-bike revolution... Look him up you will be surprised at his "knowledge" guaranteed!

KiM

Mammalian04 said:
Cool. So is the idea that one would come in for a "weekend workshop" or a "day workshop" where everyone can build their pack with the supervision of a trainer?
OR
Is this more of a development hub where people experiment on their own and just use the place as a location to hang out with people working on similar projects?

Depends on the individual space near you, they're independent and join the club themselves. http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/ But it IS a workspace. I guess the more equipment they have available, the more expensive. There's one about 2 miles from me that seems semidormant.

It doesn't look like there is anything in Austin so I would have to start my own! Is it membership fee based? Just wondering how the rent gets paid and such.

9701 Dessau Rd. Suite 304
Austin, TX
http://atxhs.org/index.php/Main_Page

There's another such organization of shops, can't remember the name because there's none close to me.

Obviously my internet searching skills could use some work Dauntless! Thanks for pointing out the local shop!

It looks cool. It is a bit too far to be practical for me but I might check out their open house one night just to see what is what. I like the idea. I have been considering building a small kit plane for a while but haven't gotten very far down that line before realizing that I would be in over my head. That's where I have seen builder assist shops with varying degrees of support. If you want, you can just use the space and tool rental. Or... if you need some expertise, they jump in by the 1/4 hour rate.

Mammalian04 said:
OR

Any and every way. My personal interest is in having access to a good spot welder so I can build batteries. But like most people, I'm not going to buy and/or make that tool for my sparse personal interest alone. But if you go that far, might as well have all the tools and supplies in place for people to make an ebike, from scratch and/or components. A set of youtube videos to show how things are done. Reserve the space and use. A community of makers to ask tough questions of (ES). That's pretty much it, and totally achievable. If the makerspace already exists, then its a simple step - just a bit of space. As here, it does, and yes there is interest. Already have the space, and space to expand, and most tools, and wifi enabled. I'd like to negotiate the spot welder for subscription fees, then I'm in and the space is complete.
snellemin said:
I'm in Houston Texas, a bit far for you I guess. But I could help with the Raptor.
Good ol' Houston, home of the rockets, my home town. Got way too big for me however.
Dauntless said:
Depends on the individual space near you, they're independent and join the club themselves. http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/ But it IS a workspace. I guess the more equipment they have available, the more expensive. There's one about 2 miles from me that seems semidormant.

9701 Dessau Rd. Suite 304
Austin, TX
http://atxhs.org/index.php/Main_Page
Yea, thanks for the reference. I used to live & play in Austin. Still have family there. Best place in Texas.

I've been to the ATX hackerspace once. They have some good machines there. I just wasn't up to spending $40/month. I like just being able to go to my shed and work on my projects.

veloman said:
I've been to the ATX hackerspace once. They have some good machines there. I just wasn't up to spending $40/month. I like just being able to go to my shed and work on my projects.
Granted, and that's what I'm doing, as will most here. So how to bring the fees down to a reasonable amount. I'm thinking smallish local ebike coop as entity and that entity gets a membership in the makerspace. With some since of scaling up, so one membership for each 10 ebike coop members. So it'd be $4.00 per ebike coop member. Some sustainable and fair trade approach. If other tools in the makerspace are to be put to use, then that person would need to seek a full membership. So it'd be a win-win. Some of the ebike coop members would want greater access, so its a way to get folks in the door and doing more with the toolsets available.

Mammalian04 said:
I have been considering building a small kit plane for a while but haven't gotten very far down that line before realizing that I would be in over my head. That's where I have seen builder assist shops with varying degrees of support. If you want, you can just use the space and tool rental. Or... if you need some expertise, they jump in by the 1/4 hour rate.

Your first stop should be Http://www.eaa.org I don't know that builders assistance through them costs ANYTHING. These are the plane enthusiasts, some will never be able to afford to build their own but at least get to be involved with others. They have TWO chapters in Austin, as well as two in Houston. Not sure why.

http://www.eaa187.org/

http://iac107.eaachapter.org/

Back