• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

eBike Builders in Texas

Dauntless said:
Your first stop should be Http://www.eaa.org/

Thanks Dauntless. The EAA is great. I went to a couple meetings when I lived in Dallas. That is where I realized that I might be biting off more than I could chew, with "Vans RV" aircraft build times for new builders being in the 1200-1500 hour range (eek!). And that doesn't include time for all the research and education necessary.

I think they have 2 chapters in Austin b/c one is the regular club and the other is the aerobatics club (they probably don't want to hang with the commoners who can't invert!). I kid.... but probably.... ;)

All that being said, "smaller" projects like this Phasor or Raptor trail bike build seem more like something I can start and finish before I am too old and washed up to use the thing!

If you really want to get in deep, pick out the Falco as your must have/must build. All this machine shop, welding, motorcycle repair, math/physics etc. started off to get me ready to build my own plane, though the cost and 3,500 hour build are roadblocks at the moment.

I fear I too will just have to settle for the bikes I mess with. . . .

http://seqair.com

Beck01.jpg

Dauntless said:
If you really want to get in deep, pick out the Falco as your must have/must build. All this machine shop, welding, motorcycle repair, math/physics etc. started off to get me ready to build my own plane, though the cost and 3,500 hour build are roadblocks at the moment.

I say just rent a Cessna 152 or similar every so often to demystify flying for yourself. Loud, boring, dangerous, and expensive. Or you can build your own to make it more louder, more dangerous, and more expensive-- though slightly less boring.

152 is a decent plane to putt around in but the 172 isn't that much more per hour in the big scheme of things....

...though the savings could add up to a new battery pack eventually!

Chalo said:
Dauntless said:

I say just rent a Cessna 152 or similar every so often to demystify flying for yourself.

Deliberately picking one of the worst planes out there won't help. Worst day flying is better than the best day. . . NOT flying!

Loud, boring, dangerous, and expensive.

Oh, now, you're too hard on yourself.

Or you can build your own to make it more louder, more dangerous, and more expensive-- though slightly less boring.

More than half the new planes each year are indeed built by the registrant. Just like 100 years ago, except they weren't registered back then. Ever notice how happy people just love doing things and unhappy people just hate everything?

John Gillespie Magee said:

You know, it's just like riding a gas motorcycle in terms of its annoyances. It has a better view, but worse, well... everything else. I'd take the motorcycle and use the extra $X00,000 for something more useful. But I already left my moto behind years ago due to its annoyances.

You a pilot Chalo? I have to agree, flying is worth the money. My flying took 4 years to catch up on the debt. But worth every penny.

But to make those pennies go farther, it's hard to beat signing off your own maintenance. A 1 inch hole in my balloon required 450 miles of round trip to get it fixed. One trip, I blew up a car going there, bought another, and it blew up coming home. That was one expensive annual inspection.

When I was a teen, my dad had a Cessna 182. At overhaul time, he decided to sell it and had almost closed the deal on a Turbo 210 when he decided he couldn't justify the expense.

I flew enough times in the front seat of his 182 that when I started doing long highway trips on an 1100cc motorcycle, I recognized something essentially alike in the experience.

I used to want to build my own plane-- basically a bush plane-- but never got far enough down that path to be committed to it. If I ever found myself with more money than I knew what to do with, plus a good deal on an Antonov AN-2, I'd be tempted by that. I'd want to make it a flying RV.

Back