Ebike kit I can carry in airport and charge my Macbook

Each cell will count as one "pack under 100Wh".

And I find your faith in Ali quality refreshing.

Not to mention optimism about that design being suitable for high current rates, and the vibration / shocks inherent in ebiking.

I bet inside the LiGo packs you'll find spot welded connections.

Maybe have a look at N.E.S.E. packs...

tomjasz said:
UPP hasn't certified their batteries to comply with current regs. No UN38.3

https://www.intertek.com/energy-storage/un-transportation-testing/

I believe that is important for shipping purposes.

Have you heard of airlines looking for that for passenger baggage?

cwah said:
By the way, how can airline know whether my battery is 100wh or more?
Basic math, 3.7V * Ah capacity * cell count must come to less than 100Wh

It is on you to prove, any doubt they just say No.

Even in the TSA, when they call for backup they do have well trained intelligent personnel available.

Also, given your naive optimism, you should definitely do a few hundred hours testing stateside with your chosen pack configuration and motor/controller kit

before heading off to use it overseas.

john61ct said:
Also, given your naive optimism, you should definitely do a few hundred hours testing stateside with your chosen pack configuration and motor/controller kit

before heading off to use it overseas.

Yes thats the plan. I m also trying just cycling with a €100 road bike and see if I could just get away with any electric

john61ct said:
tomjasz said:
UPP hasn't certified their batteries to comply with current regs. No UN38.3

https://www.intertek.com/energy-storage/un-transportation-testing/

I believe that is important for shipping purposes.

Have you heard of airlines looking for that for passenger baggage?

Not true.

“ UN38. 3 is the prevailing United Nations standard that lithium batteries must meet to receive certification for safe transport. The U.S. Department of Transportation and many international regulatory bodies require lithium batteries are certified to UN38. 3 prior to transport.”

I did not make a statement that could be called false.

And your response does not answer my question.

cwah said:
I think I found the solution.

Get the Qiroll then use this:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uurahY

I can just remove the 21700 cells separately when I get into the plane. Carry 12 of them lol

The website I read said specifically that loose lithium batteries are not allowed, they must either be approved or installed in a device.

Jordan325ic said:
cwah said:
I think I found the solution.

Get the Qiroll then use this:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uurahY

I can just remove the 21700 cells separately when I get into the plane. Carry 12 of them lol

The website I read said specifically that loose lithium batteries are not allowed, they must either be approved or installed in a device.

You mean in airline? U have a link?

Approved by whom?
What is defined as a device?
What does "installed" mean, does it mean a removable battery or an encased battery that is not removable, like in cell phones for example.

Do you think the worker understands, studies or even reads airline regulation info and is up to date on all its nuances that may come up in a very rare circumstance?
No its either you get on the airplane with your paid for airline ticket, or you dont

Obviously each country has their own bureaucracy, but USA dominates, which in effect means TSA, but ultimately the airlines themselves.

The regs are clear and common sense, yes the agents do get training, and at any major airport there will be many with a clue available to advise those without.

It is on you to satisfy them, if in doubt they will say no.

The big challenge is not knowing **how many** will be allowed, and if not all that you are carrying, having a Plan B for the rest.

They get to be arbitrary, if you look dodgy or give them attitude, they can restrict you to just a couple 100Wh modules.

You need to be there early enough to follow your Plan B, ideally having a local ready to take those refused and go ship them via DHL or whatever, itself not an easy thing if following the rules.

Or you relinquish them to the inspectors.

Or as you say, you abort your travel plans, hopefully your ticket is a refundable / flexible one.

I'm about to buy the quiroll kit and I'll create customs battery up to 100wh.

I noticed the battery plug has a 3 pin connector:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vFa1TO

Anyone has an idea why? It wouldn't be a ground pin? What could it be?

Just want to know if it would work by just pluggin in a this 24V battery box:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vpCQ8k

With each 21700 cell costing about €7. Even if I get these confiscated at the airport it would 'only' cost me €84 (6s2p configuration. Each 6s pack would be 100wh)

john61ct said:
So long as the pack is easily removed that can be shipped separately.

If it can be broken down into multiple 100Wh sub-packs, as we were discussing wrt Grin's

a certain number of those can accompany you on the plane.

IMO this is entirely do-able if designed and built for this purpose, plus contingency planning.
Has anyone here tested what was a "certain number" ? :wink:
Let's say, can you imagine to take a dozen of 100 Wh packs ?
I imagine you have to carry them with you, not as check-in luggages.

john61ct said:
They get to be arbitrary, if you look dodgy or give them attitude, they can restrict you to just a couple 100Wh modules.

They can restrict you to zero if they want, and strip search you while they're at it. So best be nice and conciliatory to the orcs when you have to deal with them.

Personally, I'm glad I don't have to worry much about sharing a plane with some dude carrying a kWh of lithium batteries that he thinks are good enough.

cwah said:
The plan is to get a cheap bike at destination and just carry the battery and the ebike kit.

I ve been looking at various kit. This at 250w may do it as well but I dunno how portable it is and if its really only 1.5kg all inclusive:
https://www.lightest.bike/SHOP/Lightest-250W-motor-presales-p221035199

Or you could buy a Brompton folding bike and the Grin Brompton motor kit with Ligos. Just check the Brompton as luggage. They sell a case for that. You will have to carry on the batteries though. Then you won't need to pack as many tools and buy a bike when you get to your destination.

Third pin may allow for more accurate voltage sensing, not interfered with by the high current in the power delivery circuit.

Sometimes a comms channel for say CAN signalling.

Or a temp sensor's signal.

No we do not have previously reported anecdotal data on what is allowed aboard, and no generalisation is possible, each airport and even each shift may vary all over the map.

I would try for carry on for at least some modules.

I would plan ahead to prevent confiscation, get there early enough to execute your Plan B

worst case, with refundable fares just do not board, but having to reclaim your checked bags might be a PITA, can be chargeable too.

RunForTheHills said:
cwah said:
The plan is to get a cheap bike at destination and just carry the battery and the ebike kit.

I ve been looking at various kit. This at 250w may do it as well but I dunno how portable it is and if its really only 1.5kg all inclusive:
https://www.lightest.bike/SHOP/Lightest-250W-motor-presales-p221035199

Or you could buy a Brompton folding bike and the Grin Brompton motor kit with Ligos. Just check the Brompton as luggage. They sell a case for that. You will have to carry on the batteries though. Then you won't need to pack as many tools and buy a bike when you get to your destination.

I'd love to travel with a brompton. But its a too expensive piece of kit and having been stolen many many times my phones (4x) and my ebikes (4x) on various situations, this is not something I'd want to risk again.
- what if the brompton luggage is lost in the airport?
- what if it's stolen when I'm in a hostel?
- what if some place don't allow me to bring the bike in and force me to park it outdoor?

My plan is very much to get a cheap $50 bike across destinations I wouldn't cry if I lose it

john61ct said:
No we do not have previously reported anecdotal data on what is allowed aboard, and no generalisation is possible, each airport and even each shift may vary all over the map.

I would plan ahead to prevent confiscation, get there early enough to execute your Plan B

worst case, with refundable fares just do not board, but having to reclaim your checked bags might be a PITA, can be chargeable too.

Yes that's very much the plan. Get a disposable bike with a disposable kit.

A $300 kit + $100 battery + $100 bike... i could lose any of them at any stage it wouldn't be a big deal.

john61ct said:
Third pin may allow for more accurate voltage sensing, not interfered with by the high current in the power delivery circuit.

Sometimes a comms channel for say CAN signalling.

Or a temp sensor's signal.

I messaged the seller a week ago he's not very responsive... maybe i shouldn t buy it if he can't even answer for a sale...

cwah said:
john61ct said:

Yes that's very much the plan. Get a disposable bike with a disposable kit.

A $300 kit + $100 battery + $100 bike... i could lose any of them at any stage it wouldn't be a big deal.

A $100 battery? Are you going to build one yourself from used cells?

RunForTheHills said:
A $100 battery? Are you going to build one yourself from used cells?

Not at all. Bear in mind I'd be restricted to around 200wh. So not an enormous capacity. Maybe 300wh if I feel lucky.

Assuming using the Qiroll 24V or 6s setup, I'll carry 6s2p or 12 cells.
Each cell would cost between $5 (reclaimed) and $8:
https://eu.nkon.nl/samsung-inr21700-40t3-4000mah-50a.html

I can have a full pack for under $100 shipped. But again, we're talking about 200wh pack. I may up it to 300wh but it wouldn't be that much higher cost

Just make one yourself. I mean a DC/DC converter and USB outlet are easy to assemble and fit in a small waterproof plastic box.

MadRhino said:
Just make one yourself. I mean a DC/DC converter and USB outlet are easy to assemble and fit in a small waterproof plastic box.

I've found this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001995469401.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.43503c00PkdfGR&mp=1

Seems perfect for what I need actually. Very compact as well.

Now... if only I could use my USB C charger to ALSO charge my battery that would be even better. Can't manage to find any adapter for that.

Even if you can succeed in getting a battery on the plane, it will be a major hassle to acquire a bike and install the kit once you get to your destination. They sell really cheap ebikes on Amazon. Many are under $700. Just order one shipped to your hotel and then sell it before you leave. Color me skeptical, but I don't believe your kit bike will end up costing less than the cheap bikes on Amazon.

Back