Ebike kit I can carry in airport and charge my Macbook

RunForTheHills said:
They sell really cheap and frighteningly horrible ebikes on Amazon. Many are under $700 but their real worth is a negative number.

Fixed that for you.

Chalo said:
RunForTheHills said:
They sell really cheap and frighteningly horrible ebikes on Amazon. Many are under $700 but their real worth is a negative number.

Fixed that for you.

Sure, but do you think that a kit bike that he can build for the same price including bike, air travel friendly battery, and motor kit will be any less horrible? Then he will have to find a bike to buy at the destination city for under $100 and somehow transport it to his hotel where he will have to install the kit on it. To simplify the installation and minimize the tools, presumably he is thinking about a front hub kit and will bring the wheel with him. Who knows what kind of fork will be on the $100 bike. The budget he presented earlier was $100 bike, $100 battery, and $300 motor kit.

RunForTheHills said:
The budget he presented earlier was $100 bike, $100 battery, and $300 motor kit.

Yeah, that's dreaming. I think the whole idea is a recipe for spending a whole lot more effort and inconvenience than you possibly could by pushing pedals.

Chalo said:
Yeah, that's dreaming. I think the whole idea is a recipe for spending a whole lot more effort and inconvenience than you possibly could by pushing pedals.

I have traveled a lot. Mostly for business. Some cities, like Singapore, taxis are best way to get around. They are everywhere and cheap. Other cities like Tokyo, the trains will get you anywhere you need to go. Some cities are very spread out, like Los Angeles, and it makes sense to rent a car. Downtown isn't spread out, but the places you will want to go as a tourist are many miles apart. I loved Guam, but due to the way people drive and the lack of bike lanes, cycling there is very dangerous and few people do it.

Chalo said:
RunForTheHills said:
The budget he presented earlier was $100 bike, $100 battery, and $300 motor kit.

Have you seen the Qiroll kit?
https://qirollshop.com/product/qre-muteb60/

It's a friction drive small enough to fit in a pocket. The total kit is under 2kg. It does fit most bikes and I just need a small screwdriver to install it on a bike. It looks like it can be done in 10 min or so.

I'm not talking about bringing a hub drive or anything big

cwah said:
Now... if only I could use my USB C charger to ALSO charge my battery that would be even better. Can't manage to find any adapter for that.
Because the spec tops out at 100W or so.

Really sorry, but the miniscule power levels you're talking about are hardly worth all this trouble.

And going so cheap will also mean frequent breakdowns, lots of walking back, and frustration and delays trying to fix stuff.

Better to have the funds to make sure you only stay in places where you can bring your gear inside to be safely guarded when you aren't using it.

Just don't travel to places where corruption and property crime is endemic.

And also avoid places with big hills if you stick to such extremely low power levels, unless you are very fit.

Just go to the gym a few months, losing a few fat pounds and increasing your pedaling energy by 50%, getting some carb loading before setting out

would have a higher impact on your biking

and no one can steal that.

cwah said:
Have you seen the Qiroll kit?
https://qirollshop.com/product/qre-muteb60/

It's a friction drive small enough to fit in a pocket. The total kit is under 2kg. It does fit most bikes and I just need a small screwdriver to install it on a bike. It looks like it can be done in 10 min or so.

I'm not talking about bringing a hub drive or anything big

You also have no idea yet if it actually works, maybe just a scam that falls apart in the first 200 miles

might not even push you up a little hill.

You CANNOT just take sellers' words about ANYTHING.

Zero confidence until received and thoroughly tested.

john61ct said:
You also have no idea yet if it actually works, maybe just a scam that falls apart in the first 200 miles

might not even push you up a little hill.

You CANNOT just take sellers' words about ANYTHING.

Zero confidence until received and thoroughly tested.

It's a good point and I may as well just take the bus everywhere.... or pedaling a bit and sweat my shit out wherever I go :lol:

could we still give it the benefit of a doubt? I've checked the review of the kit and it's not so bad:
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/review-qr-e-250w-electric-booster-bicycle-motor-and-b60i-and-b70-battery.35201/

Just an occasional "power boost" not an actual ebike IMO power too low, range too short

Order lots of extra friction tape kits, and let us know how you go.

john61ct said:
Just an occasional "power boost" not an actual ebike IMO power too low, range too short

Order lots of extra friction tape kits, and let us know how you go.

I'll find out I think. Because the weight is so tiny that it overcome a lot of the problem with standard hub drive even with freewheel (there is drag even if it's small) as well as being 1/3 of any typical kit weight.

Your BBS or whatever crank drive are great but they are adding quite a bit of weight on a bike.

2 kg is barely noticeable. It's the closest to what would be a natural ride.

All it needs is a bike that can sort of ride decently.

It is riding decently, but you will have to help it.

I agree it is the best solution for your requirements. Carrying 2kg in a travel bag, to ride easier at destination, is a positive trade of human energy if you calculate it in calories. Next best thing after renting a scooter. :D

MadRhino said:
It is riding decently, but you will have to help it.

I agree it is the best solution for your requirements. Carrying 2kg in a travel bag, to ride easier at destination, is a positive trade of human energy if you calculate it in calories. Next best thing after renting a scooter. :D

Yeah but i try to travel cheap. Renting scooter is not cheap depending on where you are.

I'm now in paris and I've checked the uber scooter for rent, it's like €1 to take the scooter then €0.10/min. Each journey could easily cost €2.5. Then going out would cost me €5-€10 depending on where I go.

Assuming going out 3-4 times a week, could cost me €15-€40/week, or €60-€250/month. Cost can easily climb up and having something handy and cheap to travel on most journeys is the best to have!

Back