Ebike suggestions

h.letchworth said:
So having a charger that you can set the voltage is really the life saver here? When charging the lipo you'd set the voltage to charge at then wait for it to get to full capacity? I'd assume the charger would have a volt meter so you could see, or do you set up your own volt meter to monitor the cells?
As far as motor and controller, someone just point me to a reliable kit. Something that a few people use with good results and I will make that the one I will get.
RC chargers monitor all cell voltages and keep them from over charging. They have a display that you can see the voltage and condition of each individual cell if you want. A bms has no display, but it limits the charge to each cell. You can also balance charge using a bulk charger and external balancer/voltage limiters. There's lots of ways to safely charge.
Without knowing the specs of your bike, it hard to recommend a motor kit for it. Size? rear disc brakes? The one I linked to previously will work fine for a 26" bike. Select rear, I never recommend front.

h.letchworth said:
So having a charger that you can set the voltage is really the life saver here? When charging the lipo you'd set the voltage to charge at then wait for it to get to full capacity? I'd assume the charger would have a volt meter so you could see, or do you set up your own volt meter to monitor the cells?
I recommend a proper pre-built Lifepo4 or Li-ion battery for a first time ebiker. You can always build your self a lipo battery pack in the future and have two batteries.

Most Lipo fires happen when people 'bulk charge' or I prefer 'blind charge' lipo backs which means they charge up the pack via the main discharge leads, just like a positive and negative terminal on a car battery. Just like inside a car battery there is no BMS inside the battery, or in other words nothing in the pack but raw battery cells hooked in series to build up the voltage.

A 48volt battery pack has 12 lipo cells (each cell can handle max 4.2volts) so 12 x 4.2 = 50.2volts (still called a 48v battery). Charging up a whole back of cells in series and just hoping they all charge in balance volts is considered dodgey because some cells may take x2 as long to charge and some cells might charge twice as fast. What happens is some cells might actually reach 4.8volts while some are still as low as 3.8volts.

When a lipo cell hits 4.8volts it will often burst into a spectacular fire and ignite the rest of the battery cells next to it.

Another way I like to imagine it is as if instead of cells you had a bunch of balloons stuck on the same multi-holed pipe, as you blow air (like charge) into the pipe some balloons will get bigger faster then others and one balloon is likely to pop before you reach your desired air pressure (or total charge voltage).

I sometimes ride my bike and watch all the voltages on individual cells if I think I have a bad cell. These are called cell-logs.
http://1drv.ms/S7ZorV

When you buy a battery pack on ebay or via many websites they use Lifepo4 or Li-ion cells that have built in BMS circuitry in the battery pack that monitors every individual cell and cuts out an external chargers charge when the voltage gets as high as it can and also disconnects the discharge leads when the cells get to low to protect them from over discharge. Also Lifepo4 or Li-ion cells are considerably different in nature and wont burst into flames anywhere nearly as easily or as intensely as lipo.

A lot of people that build a lipo pack buy an advanced charger to charge them up properly instead of building a BMS circuit into the battery pack (or bulk charging) . Charger looks like this http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-1220-charger.html , this charger has 12 balance points so it can charge and monitor 12 cells at the same time.75P-1220-Charger-01.jpg

If you buy a battery with a BMS built in (standard on ebike battery packs) you don't need the charger like above or a 12volt power supply to feed it.
All you need is a basic 48volt charger that plugs in by simple input leads of positive and negative (like a car battery charger). You almost always receive one free with a 48volt ebike battery purchase, there also quite light in weight compared to an RC charger like the Thunder 1220 above so you can take it to work on the bike.
Buying a prebuilt pack you don't have to think about what your doing when you charge it you just plug in the single cable and it does the rest. And you won't get what a lot on this forum call KFF (Kentucky Fried Fingers)

And like I said at the start of this post, you don't have to have the same battery forever, you can always build a lipo pack later down the track if you want and have two batteries.

As for the kit, if your getting to some everyday 26inch local mountain bike then I think the first kit wesnewell suggested would work well, all the kits / sellers suggested offer good value for money, just depends on how good of a kit you want to buy.

Regardless of which bike or motor/battery combination you choose please be advised of state and federal regulations about the operation of a e-bike. A handy look at the federal regs is provided http://www.x-tremescooters.com/techdocs/adobe/e-bicycle-fed-regulation.pdf
My commuting days are long behind me but my awareness of "what if" remains heightened as to what happens in the event I'm stopped for being on a bike path or sidewalk while on my e-bike or for that matter observed travelling any distance without peddling while in throttle mode. Endless Sphere has many stories of folks getting stopped and then "fighting" their way out of their often expensive legal problems. As a result, and because it's cheap, I carry copies of both Fed and State regs in a waterproof sandwich bag in my seat bag.
Speed limits are limited, in the Fed regs and my state regs to 20 MPH and while it's unlikely you're going to get hit with a radar gun or experience a police cruiser following you, anything is possible. Another concern for commuting is the ability of your e-bike to continue to operate in the rain. I cannot speak for today's kits but I have first hand knowledge of the problems I experienced with my early Crystalyte 1000 watt motor with a 48 volt setup on a beach bike. Despite following explicit instructions on waterproofing the controller, moisture in the motor burned it out causing a dead very heavy bike, very difficult to push because of the hall sensors firing and an unwillingness to d/c the 48 volt batteries in the rain.
The good news: I've never been stopped by any law enforcement personnel but have had a few comment on the bike when it's stopped with no negative reactions. My home made e-bike was retired/sold on after several thousand miles and now I ride a modern, much more stealth, Pedego Interceptor which with simple instructions allow the 20MPH max speed to be "reprogrammed" to 25. It's sports a removable 48 volt 10 AH battery easily recharged off the bike and so far has proved rain proof.
Good luck in your search, thank you for your service and have fun on an e-bike.
Mike

I was only stopped once by law enforcement - to check out my ride and compliment it, haha. But that was a nice cop, your mileage may vary.

Generally speaking I 'mime' pedal whenever I see a cop. I just sort of act like I'm pedaling, spin the pedals a few times until I pass the cop, to allow him the chance to give me the benefit of the doubt. Most cops in the US are still fairly oblivious to ebikes, and if you are pretending to pedal then they'll probably never notice something is amiss.

Of course if you're doing 30 mph, mime pedaling looks a bit silly...

Well guys, I'm still around. There is so much useful information and just so much to read. I feel like I am getting a better knowledge of the ebike world.

So, I was checking out mvly's bike and really like the general setup but don't need as much as he has. Using leaf batteries is really appealing to me, I know it isn't suggested for a first timer to build a battery but I feel It is something I can tackle. I have plenty of experience of soldering and general small electric stuff. Just the other week I remote mounted a head unit in my car which involved the extension of over 20 wires. But that project ended badly when my bass ripped 3 pads off the headunit faceplate.

So, I was thinking 4 leaf batteries split apart and wired 16s1p making my battery right around 60V. Would it be better to run something near 48V like 13s1p or 14s1p? The AH on these batteries really amazes me. I guess I need help choosing what would be best. Being that the distance is not a problem should I stay 48V and save the extra cells in-case I have a problem or go for 60V? I have spent most of my time reading up on batteries and others' builds, next will be the controller, I guess I can narrow it down to 60V or 48V. Without a lot of looking I saw the C7225-NC on ebikes.ca looks nice, 25A should be plenty for a daily driver. Then next would be the motor, I'm not sure where to go there and its getting to late to keep looking on the internet so I will continue my search tomorrow! Would I just be better off going with a basic controller and motor setup?

As far as a bike goes I will be going hunting for it soon once my ship pulls back in from being underway, hopefully find me something with good suspension and comfy without a big price tag.

The difference between 48V and 60V is just a matter of speed, since speed is directly proportional to voltage. The question of 48V or 60V is do you want to go fast or really fast?

Most ebay type kits in the 800-1000W range are meant for 48V. It becomes harder to find controllers rated for 60V. Also, those motors are designed to be in the 25mph range on 48V so 60V would get them really flying, just so you are aware.

mlt34 said:
The difference between 48V and 60V is just a matter of speed, since speed is directly proportional to voltage. The question of 48V or 60V is do you want to go fast or really fast?

Most ebay type kits in the 800-1000W range are meant for 48V. It becomes harder to find controllers rated for 60V. Also, those motors are designed to be in the 25mph range on 48V so 60V would get them really flying, just so you are aware.

Your book has been such a big help, I am still reading it. Would you suggest getting a generic ebike kit off ebay or getting a separate motor and controller?

I only need to go fast, but I have a feeling I want to go really fast haha.

you'll have to define your terms: "fast" and "really fast", haha

ebay kits on 48V are generally good for up to about 25-27ish mph. If you want to go faster, you'll probably want to consider finding a specifically fast winding motor, like a 2805 9c (nine continent) which you can get from ebikes.ca and a good controller to match (they can hook you up too). From my experience, most beginners are happy with a 48V1000W ebay kit doing 25-27 mph. You can always save the 35-40 mph speed machine for a year from now when you've already become addicted to ebikes :wink:

glad you are enjoying the book! I'm finally getting near the end of editing my video course. 4+ hours of processed video out of probably 40+ hours of raw video, haha.

Back