Ebike/ voltage cutoff How?

hamid120

1 mW
I want my ebike LCD to shut OFF or cut off automatically, when I hit 45.6v I'm using 3 lipo battery in series. How can I make it happen? Advice?

You'd need to look in the manual for the LCD you're using to find out how to set an LVC in it for that voltage. If it's one of the common ones for KT or SLCD, etc., the info may already be here on the forum if you look around for your model number.

If it doesn't have that option, you can get a BMS for the chemistry and number of series cells (not packs) you're using, and it will have an LVC built-in (but most are not programmable, so if you want to set it to a specific one you'd have to make sure to buy a programmable one and the stuff to program it with).

There's other ways to do it too, but you'd have to design the circuit both to read the voltage and trigger a relay or similar to shut off the system. This can get complex to work out, but if you're willing to learn the electronics to design and build it, it could end up fairly simple to build and hook up.

Or,, you could keep an eye on a handlebar mounted voltmeter.

This is good even if you have the cutoff, since its always good to monitor how much the battery sags under load.

Full, you likely see a very small sag, as you near the bottom of your discharge, your battery internal resistance increases. To minimize stress on the cells, use less power as they get nearly drained. One good way to do this at the right time is to notice the sag increased, and back off your throttle till sag under load is back to normal when you started.

Sure,, its far from ideal to depend on watching a voltmeter only. So definitely get the LVC adjusted if you can. But a real voltmeter beats the hell out of the stupid bars on typical displays. Just good to actually know your voltage, and voltage under load, when you run a naked lipo pack.

Right know I'm checking the volt on the LCD, but could be even better if it could be set to shut off when it reaches a specific voltage, for safety reason :) I will be back home on 2 day, then I will check for LCD on display :)

hamid120 said:
LVC= Low Voltage Cutoff if that's what you are asking. Most LCD displays allow you to change the default setting.

Back