Ebikeling 500w Geared Hub Kit

docw009 said:
Did you get the SW900 LCD or the LED? If the LCD, how does PAS work for you , and does speedometer show speed when coasting?

I got the SW900 LCD display. PAS works. Throttle works. I played with it maybe 30 minutes total.
Out of the box, SW900 in defaults (I guess), it was way quicker than I expected.
By that, I mean with very little effort pedaling, the bike kinda "took off".
It wanted to go faster than I could reasonably pedal on the 14-t gear. I need the 11-t.
The speed mode was in Km/hr by default, I later toggled it to M/hr, but reported speed was still too high, I think.
I hope to learn how to fine-tune the PAS behavior by adjusting some SW900 parameters.
I'll double-check with Ebikeling for the SW900 defaults for my setup.
They've been responsive & helpful to me so far.
Can someone point me to the forum topic on the SW900 that explains in detail each of the variable parameters?

https://www.boatstogo.com/images/Saturn-Electric-Folding-Bicycle/LCD-Instructions-SW900.pdf

aroundqube said:
https://www.boatstogo.com/images/Saturn-Electric-Folding-Bicycle/LCD-Instructions-SW900.pdf

Thankyou, I have that. Respectfully, some of this information is just marginally useful...
Parameters P01 - P06 can be logically understood from that pdf

Let's address parameters one by one, that I don't understand, like P07.
I'll ask Ebikeling in parallel, but am I wrong assuming this SW900 has wide, multi-brand use ?
P07: Speed measuring magnet. Range 0-100 - what should this be ?

For my situation, the controller has 2 separate wires, one male connector, one female, reserved for a speed sensor.
I asked & was told to let those remain unconnected, & I did so.

Since I have nothing connected to the controller speed sensor wires...
What is the correct setting for P07 ? Or is the setting irrelevant & could be 0-100 with no effect?
I don't want to speculate, I want to KNOW.

Den458 said:

I learned from Ebikeling this morning that P07 should be set to 86 for my geared motor (or for Direct Drive motor set to 47).
Thank you Ebikeling for that clarification !

Ebikeling provided me a link to their SW900 LCD Display setup here:
https://ebikeling.com/blogs/news/how-to-set-sw900-lcd-display-parameters

P08 - PAS Speed Limit with SW900 LCD Display (for PAS, not for Throttle) is my next concern.
I read it must be set in Km/hr, not Mph.
To me, I'd expect this setting to establish I get PAS (boost) until the speed reaches the limit, then ends as long as speed > limit.
Hypothetically assume I just want PAS up to 10 mph, no PAS at speeds > 10 mph, so I get the exercise I need. 10 mph = 16 Km/hr
I'll program P08 to 16 & see if it behaves as I expect, & does it behave the same way in PAS-1, PAS-2, & PAS-3 ?

Den458 said:
Ebikeling provided me a link to their SW900 LCD Display setup here:
https://ebikeling.com/blogs/news/how-to-set-sw900-lcd-display-parameters

P08 - PAS Speed Limit with SW900 LCD Display (for PAS, not for Throttle) is my next concern.
I read it must be set in Km/hr, not Mph.
To me, I'd expect this setting to establish I get PAS (boost) until the speed reaches the limit, then ends as long as speed > limit.
Hypothetically assume I just want PAS up to 10 mph, no PAS at speeds > 10 mph, so I get the exercise I need. 10 mph = 16 Km/hr
I'll program P08 to 16 & see if it behaves as I expect, & does it behave the same way in PAS-1, PAS-2, & PAS-3 ?

You may wish to consider starting a new thread to share your findings with the SW900 display? That way the information doesn't get buried in the OP's thread on the Ebikeling front hub motor kit, where folks may only randomly stumble upon it.

E-HP said:
You may wish to consider starting a new thread to share your findings with the SW900 display? That way the information doesn't get buried in the OP's thread on the Ebikeling front hub motor kit, where folks may only randomly stumble upon it.

Good idea. I'll try to experiment some this afternoon, start a new thread later with it's own topic, thanks.

I just bought the Ebikeling 700C 36V 500W front hub kit with the LED (rather the the LCD after reading this thread). It is supposed to arrive this week, and I will be installing it on my Ironhorse 3.2 29er MTB.
Initially, I plan on running/testing it on a 7.5 AH 36V bottle battery just to get it moving and pedaling. I will later transfer the bottle battery to my wife's Imortor 240W front hub, single speed beach cruiser to replace the tiny 3.2 integral battery that was included with the kit I bought last year. She was able to keep up with me on my non powered Ironhorse MTB in the paved hills.

Most likely, I will try to hotwire (using the steps listed above) to bypass the controller, and mount a 15-20ah battery for more range on my MTB.

I just got my conversion kit last night, so tonight/tomorrow will be assembly and test day....can't wait.

ckelly78z said:
I just got my conversion kit last night, so tonight/tomorrow will be assembly and test day....can't wait.

Perhaps start a build thread here, so we can see your progress?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6

The P07: Speed measuring magnet. Range 0-100 is based on the magnetic pairs in the motor. I believe based on the rear wheel 1200w kit i got with the S830 LCD display, (note 26" rim not the 20") you have to set the tire size in P05 i wanna say, and then set P07 to the magnet count (so 23 pairs = 46 magnets) so set it to 46 and you should have a more accurate reading. On the S830 LCD Display, P11 controls the max AMPS which is limited to 24 tops (which is stupid cause the kit comes with a 30amp controller).

Den458 said:
aroundqube said:

Thankyou, I have that. Respectfully, some of this information is just marginally useful...
Parameters P01 - P06 can be logically understood from that pdf

Let's address parameters one by one, that I don't understand, like P07.
I'll ask Ebikeling in parallel, but am I wrong assuming this SW900 has wide, multi-brand use ?

For my situation, the controller has 2 separate wires, one male connector, one female, reserved for a speed sensor.
I asked & was told to let those remain unconnected, & I did so.

Since I have nothing connected to the controller speed sensor wires...
What is the correct setting for P07 ? Or is the setting irrelevant & could be 0-100 with no effect?
I don't want to speculate, I want to KNOW.

For the P07 on my 48v 1200w Rear Fat tire DD Hub motor from them, i found that it's accurate around 46 or 47 (note I am using 26" tires.) The lower you set this value the faster it's gonna calculate you're going. Note that my motor has 23 magnetic pairs (being that they are pairs, I multiplied by 2 and got the 46 value). This will also affect your ODO, so if you use GPS it can help you narrow down the accuracy of the setting. Just set a known starting point and destination. Then travel the route via google maps or what have yah, and ensure that the reported distance on your phone matches that on your trip meter or ODO. If you find that your trip is reporting 2 miles and say google mapped it at 1.7 miles. You'll want to raise the value of P07. However, if it's the other way around you will have to lower it.

My 36V 500W kit that also uses the S 830 LCD display has the speed setting wrong. What should the PO7 be set at for a 29" MTB ? It appears that my motor has 20 magnetic pairs, so x2 is a 40 ?

I assume that PO6 would be 29 for the tire diameter also ?

ckelly78z said:
My 36V 500W kit that also uses the S 830 LCD display has the speed setting wrong. What should the PO7 be set at for a 29" MTB ? It appears that my motor has 20 magnetic pairs, so x2 is a 40 ?

I assume that PO6 would be 29 for the tire diameter also ?

Correct.

I got everything programmed correctly and went for 3 different rides today. When I had P07 on "40" like I thought it should be, my screen said I was going 62 MPH (not KPH), so I tried a "20" value which limited the speed and was a jerky ride. I stopped again and tried "50" which smoothed things out, and gave a more correct speed of 54 mph. I ended up settling on a value of "80" to get my pedal assisted speed at about 31 mph, and throttle alone at about 25 mph. The ODO was also reading much more accurately, so after finally having a sunny day to experiment, i'm happy. Thanks for the help in giving me ideas to try.

Tomorrow, if weather permits, I will try a ride for distance (only using a 7.5 ah battery), I will try to stay at lower speeds to get a realistic idea of range in average conditions.

I just got this kit to set up my wife's bike for commuting. Can't beat the price and the weight of a geared hub.

Can someone verify the voltage of the light output lead from the controller. I'm guessing 12v. Thx!

"I learned from Ebikeling this morning that P07 should be set to 86 for my geared motor (or for Direct Drive motor set to 47).
Thank you Ebikeling for that clarification!"

I spent 2 days trying to figure out why the speedometer was oscillating in readout from 20MPH - 62MPH. I had followed the online instructions faithfully and entered 100 for the number of magnets in my 36V 500W geared rear motor. I entered 86 for P07, and bingo, everything works kind of (if you don't 0MPH when you're not pedaling ... makes me wonder if the ODO will be accurate .... hmmmm). I could see if the kit came with printed instructions and it took a while for the edit to catch up with the paper. But come on ... a year since this post and the online instructions are still wrong?!?!?

eBikeling: do your self and your customers a big favor and hire an English speaker to edit all of your printed matter.

so were you able to fix the "zero mph" when not pedaling or not?
So far have been really happy with their kit except for that issue.

No. The speedometer/ODO do not work when you stop pedaling. I suspect this is a consequence of the controller shutting down when you stop pedaling.

Would love for some to confirm how many magnet pairs are in the ebikeling 36V 500w geared motor.

Everything I read here seems to be ‘speculation’:(

Rubinora said:
No. The speedometer/ODO do not work when you stop pedaling. I suspect this is a consequence of the controller shutting down when you stop pedaling.

Would love for some to confirm how many magnet pairs are in the ebikeling 36V 500w geared motor.

See my review ...
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=112568

There is a link to download the full written version which includes all the parameter settings that I could document.
By the way .... I have bumb leg so PAS is NOT even installed and I rarely do anything other than clown pedaling.
I can not recall the speedometer ever not working.

Rubinora said:

Good grief, it's 2022 and he hasn't fixed this? From reading amazon feedback, I thought he had.

The controller is measuring speed off the Hall position sensors. so it has to know the count on magnets, the gearing, and the wheel diameter. When you coast, the motor stops spinning, relative to the Hall sensors, so you get no speed info. Other controllers use a speed sensor, either in the wheel or external, to calculate the speed when this happens. You would figure it was a necessary piece of controller functionality,

Back